A Thread For Random RPG Musings

tkdguy

17 hours ago, Ninja-Bear said:

Has Hero games always had math errors? As in they give an example but when you try to duplicate the sample item or power the math doesn’t add up to what the book (any edition) says?

Historically speaking, not just math errors, but typos, layout errors - the works.  They certainly aren't unique in that regard, and I'm not knocking 'em (we're all just human), but both from using them back in the day and from re-reading the older editions (1st ed. through 3rd ed.) a few years ago it's apparent that the crew hadn't spent enough points on PS: Proofreading :D

On 10/6/2022 at 12:15 PM, rravenwood said:

Historically speaking, not just math errors, but typos, layout errors - the works.  They certainly aren't unique in that regard, and I'm not knocking 'em (we're all just human), but both from using them back in the day and from re-reading the older editions (1st ed. through 3rd ed.) a few years ago it's apparent that the crew hadn't spent enough points on PS: Proofreading :D

I thinkI figured out how they built weapons with skill levels. They added the cost of skill levels directly to the Base cost of EB then applied Advantages then do the Limitations.

[Edit:

Okay, this is wierd:

I wrote this days ago, but apparently it didnt post.  Because the phone doesnt have a click and drag to clear the editor in an instant (is there _nothing_ good about a touch screen?!), I have opted to leave it here for historical value.  ;D   ]

Math errors,,spelling errors, typos, and random omissions.

I didnt look that closely at 6e (I spent a couple of months of my very limited "spare time" just reading it, so I wasn't going to go back for any recreational pedantry), but if it doesn't have any, then it would be the first edition not to.

This has been one of the longest-rumming fan in-jokes ever.  It predates Seeker-smashing by three editions.

_________

In response to your noticing the increased cost and therefore increased points caps that go along with the increased complexity (and ultimately, a lot of that complexity comes from the perception of "increased options" that has been brought about by the increased codification of how various thing 'must' be done, etc- a sort of self-propagating complexity increaser. :lol:  ), the end result is that today's adventurer is yesterday's superhero.

:)

Yep- remember that for all the flak we give them, these guys are nor the thugs we dismiss them as; they were meant to take down supers in three-man teams, and War Boar learned a vakuabke lesson in underestimating hia opponents.  :)

though, touch screen or not, your character's name reminded me of aomething from my dauggtwr's toddlerhood.  Pardon the digression:

after an all-night windstorm, I was walking the yard checkibg for damage, my young daughter following along., I picked up a branch; she picked up a twig.  I kicked down a pile of leaves to ket rainwater flow, she kicked at whatwver leaf was closest to her.

after about forty minutes, we were walking near,the treeline at the creek and she _jumped_ back away from thw shade- "carefully, Daddy!  Careful!"

"what's the matter?"

She keot a cautionary finger Ilup and leaned into the green one with big eyes and exaggerated stealth while pointing with her other hand.  "Spidel, Daddy.  A real big spidel.  Be careful."

By then, I had caught up to her.  "'Spider, Honey.  That's a spider."

"Yes!" She agrees heartily, her vigorous nods making her only tails jump and flop.  "A big spidel!"

"That one won't hurt you, Kiddo."

"My Nana says stay away from spidels!"

Well, your Nana also says that Eisenhower better not touch her Social Security or she'll vote him out, but let's just stick with this situation....

"Most spiders are helpful, not bad.  That one is an orb weaver, and eats a lot of the bugs we don't want."

"My Nana says that's a nanana...na...na.  spidel!"

Yes, lot's of people around here call them banana spiders because they are big and bright yellow, but since we don't live in Asia, those people are wrong.  That is called a golden silk orb weaver.  They are very pretty, they are not venomous enough to hurt people, and you'd have to slap it around a bit bedore it xonsidered trting to bite you anyway."

"Ol deefer?"

"Orb weaver.  It is a category od spiders named for how they build their send."

We atudied it a bit more, played a little, it, and went back in the house.

"Where have you two new?" Her mother called from the coffee pot.

"We been outside, and we cleaned up sticks, and I helped, and Mamm, we saw a War Beaver!"

It was peobably juat the imagery that popped,in my head, but I had a stout feeling what sort od aliens my travellers were going to encounter very soon...

I'm suffering a bit from Fantasy plot failure. Regardless of system, I can't quite get the "this is what you do" part right.

By preference, I would set things up so that players can work things up the way they want, but I would like to be able to guide them a little, so it's not D&D.

I would like to be able to point them at about a dozen things to do without railroading them.

Failure.

Also, War Beavers don't apply in the land of War Wombats.  I think I need some vestiges of a civilization to loot and provide threats.

4 hours ago, assault said:

I'm suffering a bit from Fantasy plot failure. Regardless of system, I can't quite get the "this is what you do" part right.

By preference, I would set things up so that players can work things up the way they want, but I would like to be able to guide them a little, so it's not D&D.

I would like to be able to point them at about a dozen things to do without railroading them.

Failure.

Also, War Beavers don't apply in the land of War Wombats.  I think I need some vestiges of a civilization to loot and provide threats.

Why loot? Perhaps your players are explorers? Perhaps they are trying to find a lost road, town or Civilization? Perhaps they’re trying to chase down a (or many) Macguffins before Big Bad does? I have Silver Elves as in Elves that carry silver because silver is effective against magical monsters in D&D. You could have a patron which feeds info the players.

Next up, I’m going to rebuild both Blue Jay and Armadillo. For those who don’t know, they are built with all characteristics OIF from starting points.  

I have CKC where Steve Long did do this but after looking at his version, I’ll do my own.

What I’m going to keep in mind is that when they were presented in 3rd Edition, they had a Hero and a Villain option. (Which I like). Armadillo is even stated that the way he is built is ok for a villain but should be more competent if a Hero and caught out of suit. So when I build them. That is what I’ll keep in mind.

I've considered:

"The Elves and Trolls annihilated each other, leaving only scattered haunted ruins. Now humans are settling their lands." Vaguely Moorcock/Wild West.

Zorandar, from Lands of Mystery. Doesn't have to be about damsels in distress, or railroaded. Needs a magic system but is otherwise ready to go. For "3e" (original) Fantasy Hero anyway. Other versions would need some work.

Various other things, but most of them require too much pre-game exposition.

I'm trying to find the optimal balance between "it's not D&D" and "here, read the notes for my badly written fantasy novel". One extreme needs more, the other, less exposition.

I kind of want: "read these few bullet points, pick one of these packages, adjust to taste" and end up with game-relevant characters in less time than it takes to make a modern D&D character.

Then drop them somewhere where they can pick fights and die.