A Thread For Random RPG Musings

tkdguy

4 hours ago, Opal said:

A hundredfold,  you say?

D&D:  yipe, from 8d to 800d, we're all dead.

Hero: so +35 Apts is x128, call it 33pts, +6.5d? It a KA. 2d, then? Explosion. Ok, roll your fireball +1.5d

Don't forget that the original attack was probably getting some damage past your defenses, so that's an extra 2-9 points straight to BODY. It's gonna hurt, even if your character won't be immediately reduced to ash.

12 hours ago, Opal said:

A hundredfold,  you say?

D&D:  yipe, from 8d to 800d, we're all dead.

Hero: so +35 Apts is x128, call it 33pts, +6.5d? It a KA. 2d, then? Explosion. Ok, roll your fireball +1.5d

Just a few minutes ago, I was pretty sure that any GM would understand that this refers to the effectiveness- in the case of fireball, the damage dice-  of the magic.

Unless,this was sarcastic obtuseness, of course.  I swore off sarcasm over thirty years ago; as a result, I don't always pick up on it anymore.  However, if that was the case, well done; very funny; forgive the intrusion.

:)

1 hour ago, Old Man said:

If they can find it, sure.

Let us hope. This fiasco might help Hero Games to survive, even thrive. 

Then again, the fact that you actually have to build everything and that there is no levels involved might turn D&D junkies away. You'll never know...

47 minutes ago, Opal said:

Not a chance.  How would they even know it exists?

Pathfinder has gotten mentioned, in the ORC post, for instance.  So that might get a few hits. 

One could hope they turn to Fantasy Hero Complete. But your right. Pathfinder will probably get the boost and Hero will be ignored. Sigh.

11 hours ago, steriaca said:

Do you think that One D&D's OLG will drive people to try Fantasy Hero?

No.

People don't want to change, even if there is something icky involved.

Discussion amongst the local DnD groups with whom I am at least passingly familiar swung from "I can't believe they would attempt to fool us with that laundry list of lies!" to "well, they _did_ apologize" and then to "so the game is back on?  Sunday?  Two-thirty?"

In almost the length of time it takes to smoke a cigarette.

Consider the cost of investing in End-- in _any_ modern game!  Crap!  The Blue Books ran what-  half a grand or so?  There is at least that much investment in most DM"s go-to favorite references, and often quite a bit more.  At 30 to fifty bucks a pop, a lot of us have over a grand in hero 5e, even though it seems,that 6e was being written even as we were spending.

Then there are the players-  finding them, their own investments, matching schedules and playstyles, history of fun together, adventures already built and in progress--

There are times when the Sunk Cost Fallacy is used as a _comfort_ to those who ultimately don't see how they were personally affected, and dont want to change anyway.

This will ultimately be one of those times, when it is all said and done.  Worst part is wizards will assume the relarively quick return to status quo was because of their brilliantly deceptive apology rather than a general lack of empathy for those who are going to get really, really screwed.

Ultimately, people play DnD because they want to play DnD.   Wether it is becauae they have heard of it, or their driends play it, or because some celebrity plays it- whatever.  We have held and heard countless conversations about what is wrong with it, about how almost (_almost_) any other game,is better, etc, etc, till we are so tired of it we sont want to hear it any more than they do.

But look at me: I play 2e.  Released in- what was it?  82?  There have been how many revisions, updates, and,new editions in the forty-one years since?  I play it because I dont see any actual improvement in the new stuff.  I can read; I can hear.  I am familiar with all the various "this is better because-" arguments.  I respectfully (and sometimes disrespectfully, if pushed too hard) disagree.  They are _changes_; yes.  For some,subset of the people, they might be easier or fall more in line with some personal conceit about 'should be,' but to date, I personally dont think any of them have made the game _better_.  Frankly, I think some of them have some have done the exact opposite.

At the end of the day, I play 2e because that is what I want to play.

Most of the fan base is going to keep playing DnD, no matter what, because that is the game they want to play, period.  This might get a gew xelebritiws off of for a while bevause of potential negative fallout, but ultimately, no permanent changes.

1 hour ago, steriaca said:

One could hope they turn to Fantasy Hero Complete. But your right. Pathfinder will probably get the boost and Hero will be ignored. Sigh.

I dunno, I own FHC and it is the absolute last version of FH I would try to foist on anyone I didn't hate.  I know a lot of hard work went into it and I hate to be this critical of people who have actually tried to contribute to the game, but I'm not sure FHC was playtested and I'm positive it wasn't proofread.  It is the opposite of what you would want to give to a GM new to the system.

A FB friend of mine who works in the gaming industry (for a couple decades at least) listed a whole bunch of RPGs that people should check out instead of WotC stuff.  I posted "And don't forget HERO!"

Him: What's that game?

Posted him the wikipedia link to Champions

Him: Ohhhhhh!  I can't believe I forgot that one!

Word of mouth from players can only go so far in hyping -- there needs to be some push from the creators as well.

I think Hero needs to revamp its strategy if it wants to sell in the current markets.  It can't just provide a rules set and an array of choices.  It needs to provide actual games, with adventures. The market wants tons of choices (Hero provides that better than any system), but it also wants out of the box playability before we learn all those choices. Like 5e D&D "if you want a quick L1 Wizard, just pick this background, these skills and these spells, and use the pre-fab gear - you are off to the races. For GM's, a pre-fab setting and an Adventure Path to play in it.

While many gamers move from "pre-fab character" to "using the many choices", a much smaller proportion move from "pre-fab setting and published adventures" to "create my own world, or even adventures in someone else's world". They definitely don't want to design their own game, even with a broad system to use for that purpose. 

Whether Hero publishes those games or makes it easy for third parties to use Hero System to create and publish their own products, they need to get those products out there if the system is going to thrive and grow (or perhaps even if it is to survive).  But I don't think Hero can just make the full rules set open source.  Maybe a stripped down version of the core mechanics, without examples or flavour text, but even that is a fair chunk of the value of Hero IP. At the same time, that IP is not generating any money if no one plays games powered by Hero.