Assistance Needed in Realizing a Power

Danomite41

First of all, I have basically zero experience with this system.  I'm trying to GM it for the first time with my brother before introducing it to my larger RPG group.  His hero concept is that of a person who can turn his hair into metallic razors or spikes.  We discussed the implications and what types of mechanical powers he'd need to accomplish this.  I've muddled my way through selecting most of the game elements necessary to realize his concept with one exception.  We were both thinking that with "metallic razor hair" covering large portions of his body, it would probably inflict damage on someone that tried to grapple him or hit him with a HTH attack.  It makes sense to me but I have no idea how to put this into game terms.  Please help! And thank you in advance

Easy.  Define that particular Killing Attack as a Damage Shield (in the likely event you're using 6e, you want page 321 of Book 1).    It's a special type of Area-effect attack which is also defined using the Constant and Personal advantages as well.  The page reference goes into far more detail than I can summarize here.

Other powers with a "metallic hair" special effect.

A plain old Hand-Killing-Attack with the special effect of having a razor sharp mohawk hairstyle. This one you can add your strength to it.

A Hand-To-Hand Attack defined as using the flat of the mohawk or harry palms.

Resistant Protection as you have to hack through the hair to get to the meat.

6 hours ago, Ninja-Bear said:

Segerge hits it. Damage shield though I would say that it should have No STR bonus limitation but that’s my opinion. 

@Danomite41, just outta curiosity what edition/rule set you using? Just so we can point to correct page.

If you're defining it as HTH killing attack, that's exactly how I would build it.

Building as Ranged Killing Attack, you should do it as "No Range," instead.

If you're using "Champions Complete," use that page reference instead of the one I gave in my initial response.

33 minutes ago, Tech said:

I would put a limitation on it. Not everyone is going to be striking his hair, such as a Leg Sweep.

Two things here. First a Legsweep is a maneuver name. It can be described as anything else such as a Front Kick to the chest so hard the target falls down. Second, Activation Rolls don’t need to be put on a power. Haven’t you ever watch a show where a vest always gets hit? It could be because the “player” didn’t want to get zapped by a failed roll. Tech I think you bring up a good point for consideration. I just want the OP to choose the limitation because he feels it fits with his  game style and tastes. I don’t want him to feel he has to take it.

NB, it's up the the player and/or GM to decide on if a limitation is needed. I tossed out something that might not have been considered, whether Legsweep, stomping the toes or whatever. If the player wants it always to function, that's fine.

6 hours ago, Hugh Neilson said:

Maybe he has hairy legs!

Maybe. I went with what the OP said, "We were both thinking that with "metallic razor hair" covering large portions of his body, it would probably inflict damage on someone that tried to grapple him or hit him with a HTH attack."  He didn't say his entire body, just large portions of his body. 'Course, if it was all over his body, he'd probably look like a giant spikey volleyball.

Huh. First time my replies have ever been grouped together unexpectedly. And it happened again after posting this.