Freddie Mercury

Janis Joplin

Elvis Presley

Steve Perry

Ann Wilson

Robert Plant

Ozzy Osbourne

Grace Slick

pretty much my list, though there are a few others listed already I would add.

If we are counting it, I would add John Anderson of Yes, who has one of the purest high voices out there. I might add in Tommy Shaw, though probably not in the rankings of any of the above. Also, been rewatching a lof of the Live at Daryls House, and have become very impressed with his voice.

For more somewhat modern, I would put David Draiman of Disturbed. He has a great growl, but if you want to hear how good he can be as a pure singer listen to their cover of Sound of Silence (that when he did on one of the late shows, Paul Simon got on his twitter and told everyone to go listen to this) or their own song A Reason to Fight (I would recommend it anyway).

I would also add Amy Lee of Evanescence, who has a great haunting voice.

Has anybody mentioned Art Garfunkle yet? If you want to talk about pure voices, he’s the man.

And don’t anybody start on the “that’s not rock” bandwagon.  Since Simon and Garfunkle memorabilia is part of the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame then that’s enough of a ruling for me.

29 minutes ago, Tjack said:

Has anybody mentioned Art Garfunkle yet? If you want to talk about pure voices, he’s the man.

And don’t anybody start on the “that’s not rock” bandwagon.  Since Simon and Garfunkle memorabilia is part of the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame then that’s enough of a ruling for me.

There are rappers and hip-hop artists in the R&R HoF also.  Mariah Carey, Christina Aguilera, and Celine Dion have amazing voices.

To me, 'rock voice' has to have an edge to it and/or make music with and edge, generally with a heavy guitar sound.  YMMV.

39 minutes ago, Starlord said:

There are rappers and hip-hop artists in the R&R HoF also.  Mariah Carey, Christina Aguilera, and Celine Dion have amazing voices.

To me, 'rock voice' has to have an edge to it and/or make music with and edge, generally with a heavy guitar sound.  YMMV.

If you want to put any of those ladies in the mix, more power to you.  And if you think of any rappers or hip-hop singers with exceptional voices, include them too.  
    You would have had a better chance talking me down from Aretha Franklin by arguing that she was mainly noted for R&B.  I would have fought it. but you would have had at least a fair point.

If I really wanted to start a fight I would have tried to include Nina Simone and Dianna Krall even though I know that they’re both Jazz vocalists.
   One of my pet peeves is in discussions like this some troll will try to include something that has no basis in the criteria.    
   There are any number of phenomenal singers out there who definitely aren’t Rock & Roll.  Dolly Parton and Crystal Gayle spring to mind.

12 minutes ago, Tjack said:

If I really wanted to start a fight I would have tried to include Nina Simone and Dianna Krall even though I know that they’re both Jazz vocalists.
   One of my pet peeves is in discussions like this some troll will try to include something that has no basis in the criteria.    
   There are any number of phenomenal singers out there who definitely aren’t Rock & Roll.  Dolly Parton and Crystal Gayle spring to mind.

Dolly's rendition of "Stairway to Heaven" is a particular favorite of mine, but that's more properly bluegrass.

Knowing what I know about some of the people who frequent this forum, I'm a little surprised not to have seen Geddy Lee's name yet.

I'm also personally a fan of John Wetton. His work in King Crimson and UK was remarkable. His work in multiple stints in Asia is arguably even better.

And while this will undoubtedly straddle the line between Rock and pop, I have to mention the late Marie Fredriksson. What an amazing voice that woman had.

David Bowie had an incredible voice and is clearly in the genre.  Robert Plant stands out as well.  You could probably pick 5-10 singers from each decade and get a top 50 list pretty easily.  And "greatest voice" doesn't necessarily mean most technically skilled singer.  Bob Dylan's voice is a pretty dominant presence, given his body of work and unparalleled songwriting ability.  Nobody would consider him a technically great singer, but his voice is one of the most recognizable out there.  

18 hours ago, Tjack said:

If you want to put any of those ladies in the mix, more power to you.  And if you think of any rappers or hip-hop singers with exceptional voices, include them too.  
    You would have had a better chance talking me down from Aretha Franklin by arguing that she was mainly noted for R&B.  I would have fought it. but you would have had at least a fair point.

I don't want to include Art Garfunkel or any of them. IMO they aren't 'rock'.  If you include them, then you include pop and then country, etc, etc.  Then it's just best 'voice' ever.

19 minutes ago, Starlord said:

I don't want to include Art Garfunkel or any of them. IMO they aren't 'rock'.  If you include them, then you include pop and then country, etc, etc.  Then it's just best 'voice' ever.

20 hours ago, Starlord said:

Well, Pariah started this thread nominating Freddy Mercury and Roy Orbison.    Freddy’s was pretty melodious and Roy’s was high and pure.   So if you don’t like his definition, mine or the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame’s you may just be SOL.

1 hour ago, Tjack said:

Well, Pariah started this thread nominating Freddy Mercury and Roy Orbison.    Freddy’s was pretty melodious and Roy’s was high and pure.   So if you don’t like his definition, mine or the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame’s you may just be SOL.

Obviously, my point was that since the RnR HoF clearly accepts all genre's then using them as a benchmark is pointless.  In my opinion, Queen is clearly a rock band and Roy Orbison sings Rock n Roll songs so I'm happy with where I stand in this very subjective discussion.  :)