The Greatest Voice In the History of Rock Music

Pariah

I don't think any definition of rock and roll needs to be "purist", as the genre continues to evolve. There are many characteristics that define a great artist in this field -- instrumental talent and songwriting prowess can also figure into the mix.

Which makes it surprising that Paul McCartney is not in this conversation. Yes, as a songwriter he is a generation talent, a man who practically defined songwriting prowess at that stage of rock history and set a standard few could ever live up to, but he also had fine tone and a wonderful sense of cheekiness. And he is a musical polymath when it comes to choice of instruments.

Sting also fits into that class on all these fronts, whatever you think of his solo work (which, at least in my opinion, shows a breadth of imagination few have ever matched).

But Roy Orbison, even in his twilight, had a voice that could break your heart into a million pieces.

17 minutes ago, slikmar said:

I mentioned Jon Anderson of Yes earlier, and in many ways he reminds me of Orbison, that high pure voice that is more an instrument of its own. If you want to hear him different then what he did with Yes, go and find the stuff he did with Vangelis from 1980 to 1991. Pure gold.

You might start with this one, for example.

• 2 weeks later...