cbat007

Ok so far this place has been a weath of knowledge and i thank you all; but im back again with another question;

i want to make a villain who instils fear/confusion. Ill just describe how i envision the power

Fear/confusion (Emotion control) Large AOE (Entire floor of an average building at least) slightless/rangeless (Can broadcast the power as long as he stimulates any sence, i.e. a speaker system) and possibly if there is a way the charactors cant pinpont the point of origin when the defend it.

I was looking through the book (I only have Champions Complete) and i at first thought some form of mind control but i dont think that quite works, i then thought maybe a skill applied as a power with the appropriate adders and such but i cant quite figure it out. Can yall help me make this power?

Thanks in advance!

@cbat007 the question is when the character experiences Fear, what is that doing to the character game wise? For example Sketchpads suggestion is good but what happens once you make the roll? If it’s the classic “”Run Away” then that’s the command that you attach to the Mind Control.  Another classic is +X PRE-only for fear based PRE attacks. You could have a Suppress -PRE AoE and have Invisible Power Effects (so they can’t pinpoint it to the villain) and have the +X PRE to make the PRE attack. There are other ideas too but I don’t want to overwhelm you at the moment. 

@Sketchpad thanks

@Ninja-Bear well im not sure how to handle it, i plan it will start out just making a bunch of civilian hostages in a bank cause panic and a hassle for the heros;
other than that im not completely sure what an appropriate mechanicle effect might be; i assumed maybe a progressivly worse effect depending on how great a roll is on fear and it makes it harder to do anything directly against the villain, maybe to the point of running in terror. Would that be two seperate applications of fear?

Thanks

@cbat007 since this is a villain it’s easier to have the points to build the power you want.  And don’t be afraid to link multiple powers together too. You could have Mind Control-panic and have linked CE (Change Environment) with - X OCV too and maybe -X skill rolls too (it’s harder to hit something when your scared or to make your Breakfall Roll).

+PRE, only for fear based Presence Attacks comes to my mind easily. It can be in a Multipower along with Mind Control (Fear based fleeing from me) against one victim is one power. Another is an Area of Effect Mind Control.

If you want to find out what scars people, Telepathy (only to find what scares a target) is yet another power to think about.

I just remember: Mental Powers Based On PRE (-1/4), from The Hero System Advance Player's Guide page 69 could be helpful. Basically the limitation substitutes PRE instead of EGO to defend against mental powers. They are still mental powers (unlike Mental Powers Based On CON and Mental Powers Based On STR [same book, page 69]).

It could be used to simulate strong fear feelings in a target. (Mind Control: Run Away, Mind Control: Do What I Say Because You Fear Me)

A fear attack is one of the most vague of special effects. I had one person with a fear attack & dislike using Mind Control. Instead, I decided to ask, "What does the fear do?" Do the person stand still in fear (Mental Paralysis); does the fear make it more difficult for the hero to attack? (Drain vs OCV, Dex or SPD) and so on. Decide what the fear does first. If you want to use Mind Control or PRE attks and it works for you, go ahead.

@Ninja-Bear Thanks for all the help; so i have a rought write up:

Power; Brodcast Fear

-Mind control; 50cp - 10d6

-AOE Radius (17-32m, non selective) +3/4

-Only to inflict fear -1/2

-Persistent +1/4

-Environmental control; 15CP - -5OCV

-Joint link -1/2

-AOE Radius (17-32m, non selective) +3/4

-DOT (5 base effect, 1/turn, until leave area) +5CP, +1X

-Only able to affect those affected by first power -1/2

-Persistent +1/4

-Increase max range x2 (x4 max range) +1/2

Does that all seem correct does this power work?

Cbat007 looks pretty good. In the Mind Control you should swap Persistent with Constant. Constant turns an instant power into while constant. Persistent allows a Power to work even if the character go knocked out. Since you linked the Powers, I feel that in CE, the limitation of only while affected by first Power is double dipping but because it is an AoE, I can see why the limitation was there. I believe that CE is constant so you wouldn’t need persistent.  Still nice job! Btw is I hadn’t mention it before, there’s one concept in Hero that I myself been trying to embrace. That concept is sometimes you need to just build it as such and then declare it works as you envision it.  If you’ve notice, sometimes the problem with Hero System is we as a group get caught up in RAW and getting it “right”. So have fun and watch out for that trap! 😁 

@Ninja-Bear ok ill make that change i just wanted a way to represent if they leave the aoe set down then they lose the fear, and for the limiting only affected is just to represent that if the first power doesnt roll high enough to get your ego and comand the fear then you cant be affected by the negative downside of less OCV- now thats one power down :P thanks a ton for some of it im sure ill just have to embrace that but one of my players is super RAW and complains when things are done too differently so might have to get more experiance with this system

You need Constant on the Mind Control if you're going to make it Persistent.  MC is inherently an Instant power, so it needs to be turned into a Constant power before you can make it Persistent.  Having both Constant and Persistent would make the 10d6 MC part be 125 Active Points, 83 Real Points (and 12 END just for the MC).

Technically, unless the floor of the building doesn't have any intervening walls / rooms / hallways, I think you'd need Indirect as well. 

Personally, I'd drop the MC dice a bit and add Cumulative.  Maybe something like:

Mind Control 6d6

- Constant +1/2

- Persistent +1/4

- AOE Radius (17-32m, non selective) +3/4

- Cumulative (max 72 points) +3/4

- Indirect +1/2

- Half END +1/4

- Only to inflict fear -1/2

120 AP, 76 RP, 5 END (just for the Mind Control part)

The non-cumulative 10d6 MC results in an average of 35 points of effect.  The cumulative 6d6 MC averages 21 points - against anyone without Mental Defense, it should hit about the same effect as the straight 10d6 MC in 2 Phases.

Edit to add:  if you're using things like a building's PA / intercoms, lighting system, A/C, vents, etc. to generate the effects, you could justify an IIF (-1/4) on this, but don't do that if he can also generate the effect himself in the middle of an empty field.

3 hours ago, Ninja-Bear said:

Also Bolo he shouldn’t need indirect unless the walls have Mental Defense. 

Mental Powers are usually Line of Sight and normally can't be used remotely (anyone listing to his voice via a recording or mechanical distortion, or watching him over television). Constant and Presistant should help. Too bad there is no advantage "Useable Through Mechanical Devices" for mental powers.

1 hour ago, steriaca said:

Mental Powers are usually Line of Sight and normally can't be used remotely (anyone listing to his voice via a recording or mechanical distortion, or watching him over television). Constant and Presistant should help. Too bad there is no advantage "Useable Through Mechanical Devices" for mental powers.

You don’t need LoS when it’s an AoE. And again Persistent   is only if the Character gets knocked out which I don’t think the OP has intended. Constant is fine.

19 minutes ago, Ninja-Bear said:

You don’t need LoS when it’s an AoE. And again Persistent   is only if the Character gets knocked out which I don’t think the OP has intended. Constant is fine.

You need LoS to target the area it hits. Unless you buy No Range and Personal Immunity. 

9 hours ago, steriaca said:

You need LoS to target the area it hits. Unless you buy No Range and Personal Immunity. 

You don’t need No Range to target the hex you’re in. And if you miss all it does is shift the Hex. Personal Immunity though is a good point to consider. If the villain already has Defenses high enough then no he doesn’t need it BUT either way it’s a good call there.

13 hours ago, Ninja-Bear said:

You don’t need No Range to target the hex you’re in. And if you miss all it does is shift the Hex. Personal Immunity though is a good point to consider. If the villain already has Defenses high enough then no he doesn’t need it BUT either way it’s a good call there.

You need Indirect for any power to go thru walls because you can't perceive the area on the other side. Area of Effect powers are stopped by them unless they knock down the wall which your Mental powers won't do. You can't use Mental Powers against people inside an opaque Barrier. The wall having Mental Defense would only mean that it protects against Powers that do have Indirect or against Mind Scan which has Indirect built in.