haymaker and push in 6th ed

Arkhayne

Question

2 answers to this question

More or less what it says:  Haymaker (the Maneuver) cannot be Pushed -- it does not cost END on its own but is, rather, modifying the Attack that the character is Haymakering.

So you can Haymaker your character's punch (Attack with STR).  You can also Push your character's STR for that same Haymakered punch.  But you cannot Push the Haymaker itself.

And I’m here to kill you! I mean. Help you! Sorry. My inner ninja springs out of the shadows sometimes. Where’s my hat? Ah. Here we are. 

Short Answer: Only purchased powers or abilities can be Pushed, while a Haymaker is a maneuver, meaning you can push the power then Haymaker it, but you can’t push the haymaker itself. 

Long hand version:

Haymaker: Spend a 1/2 phase, tank your DCV (-5), add 4 damage classes (4d6 Normal, or 1d6+1 KA, roughly). It’s a standard combat maneuver, and it can be used on DNA. That’s Thia slang for “damn near anything.” 

Pushing a power, though, costs END, must be declared in advance, and has a lot more GM discretion around it. Many things can be Pushed, but it’s not nearly as common a use case. Further, that END is spent in advance, regardless of whether the attack lands, but a Haymaker doesn’t have its own END cost. 

Hence: you can’t Push a Haymaker because it’s not a power, it’s a standard combat maneuver. You can Push a power (such as a Blast), then Haymaker that, adding a whole bunch of dice, generally not to exceed double the purchase cost. 

Please let me know if that answered your question!

(Got over my laziness and reposted accordingly)