Superhero Miniatures with Champions

borbetomagnus

Lego owns the patents on their bricks, but they do not own the rights to everything created by others using those bricks. Just like Hero Forge has no intrinsic right to ownership over things created with their "bricks" (i.e., their body parts, clothing bits, weapons, etc.).

A copyright exists the moment a "work" exists, and someone using the Hero Forge software to design a character is equivalent to drawing it on paper (or drawing it using some other software like Photoshop) prior to manufacture. That drawing, that concept, that character belongs to the creator, not the product manufacturer (unless the manufacturer comes up with the character design themselves, which they don't in this context).

Hero Forge is essentially compelling creators to give up the rights to their creations in return for having them made into minis. I am willing to lay down money that the Hero Forge user agreement would not hold up if challenged in court.

26 minutes ago, zslane said:

Hero Forge is essentially compelling creators to give up the rights to their creations in return for having them made into minis. I am willing to lay down money that the Hero Forge user agreement would not hold up if challenged in court.

Well, if you want to fight them in court, be my guest. But the cost of legal disputes tend to go to the deepest pockets in this country. 

2 hours ago, Scott Ruggels said:

Well, if you want to fight them in court, be my guest. But the cost of legal disputes tend to go to the deepest pockets in this country. 

And that right there is the secret to success of outlandish TOS-- or any other "you really don't have an option" type contract:

You can't fight it if you can't _afford_ to fight it.

On the plus side:

the kid's and my little youtube channel has arrived!   We got our first Karen today!  :D

12 minutes ago, Duke Bushido said:

And that right there is the secret to success of outlandish TOS-- or any other "you really don't have an option" type contract

Indeed. I feel there is little to no chance that anyone is going to try to challenge the TOS in court. The only way this gets "fixed" is in the marketplace. A competitor would have to come along offering the same services without the overreaching TOS and Hero Forge would have little choice but to respond in kind. In the mean time, it is probably wisest for artists/writers/animators/creators who intend to monetize their superhero creations avoid Hero Forge like the plague.

Thanks

His name is usually Monty.  It gets lengthened or shortened (or changed to something really profane) as the need arrises.  Typically, he gets called "Munch" or "Munchy."  He is quite possibly the most affectionate cat I have ever run across, is extremely talkative, and surprisingly intelligent.  He adores the kids (which is weird for a cat, I think) and loves company of any kind.  This is the reason the videos are shot with at least one cat wrangler.

He is also not our cat.

We have no idea where he came from.  I assume he walked up out of the woods behind the house one day and just stayed.

More about Monty, because the internet loves pests-- uh, pets.  :D

He is _all_ fluff.  I mean that.  He weighs about six pounds, period.  He begs to be picked up, at which point he will he beg to be put down.  He will follow you everywhere around the yard, leaping onto any and everything that gets him at least as high as your hand, to make petting him easier.  He yaks non-stop, but won't talk when you are talking.  It's uncanny, and a bit creepy.  He hunts only small trinkets (like the Wonder Bunny mini) and lizards.  When he catches a lizard, he has no idea what to do with it, and will walk around the yard for up to an hour just... I don't know-- smoking it?  Anyway, it just hangs out of his mouth like a cigarette.  Eventually he gets bored and lets it go.

He will only puke his little hairballs directly in front of the door, and only at night.  Randomly, your trip to work becomes a one-heeled ice-skating session.  i have to head out to work every morning ten minutes earlier than I want to in case I need to hose off the porch.  When the youth group convenes for a game, we play outside at a large picnic table (social distancing, etc, and with all the Karens out there, you don't even want to let your nieces and nephews get close to you without witnesses these days, and I've got retired neighbors who sit home all day and mind everyone else's business, so it's all good).  Monty will get in the middle of the table and help roll dice.

If you are sitting near any sort of perch, Monty will tell you what he wants-- specifically.  No; I'm not kidding.  If he wants his head rubbed, he will find a way to pat you on the head.  If he wants his shoulders rubbed, he will pat you on the shoulder.  If he wants his back rubbed, etc.  I know I'm not imagining this, because if you get it wrong, he will move away from petting and "tell" you again.  He will continue doing so until you get it right.  If he has no demands, he will just keep squaking until you pet him.

Monty _hates_ groceries.  On all occasions of you crossing the yard, he will do everything he can to stay next to you and at hand-height where possible.  He was wearing a groove in the roof of my wife's last car; I swear he was.  If you are carrying groceries, he will dart in front of you and stop.  If you fail to trip, he will repeat over and over until you trip and die, or at least until you trip and drop something he can investigate.

He _loves_ brain massages, and  won't let you quit until he's dizzy.  He's also been caught sneaking food to the raccoons in the woods.

He used to be dark green, but turned brown as he matured.   Yeah; I don't blame you: no one else believes it, either.

He's also disgustingly charming, and no matter how much I wanted him to find his way home when he showed up, I really can't help but like him.  If my wife ever comes to her senses and packs up and leaves, he's going to be my secret weapon to find a new one.  ;)