Jump to content

Favorite Episodes: The Twilight Zone


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The best line ever on Third Rock From the Sun happened when the aliens were going to be inspected by their leader “The Big Giant Head” and went to meet him at the airport he comes out disheveled and p

The Obsolete Man Mr. Dingle, the Strong Time Enough at Last Printer's Devil Twilight Zone: The Movie

I have two favourites both from the '85 version of the Zone: Paladin of the Lost Hour and I of Newton.

55 minutes ago, Logan.1179 said:

 

I'll have to look those two up. Fortunately YouTube has most of the '85 series.

 

   Paladin of the Lost Hour was a short story by Harlan Ellison who was also a consultant on the show.  I think they gave him the title of “Ombudsman”.  I won’t go into the story itself so I don’t ruin it for anyone who hasn’t seen it.  But I think it was wonderful. It also starred Danny Kaye in what I think was his final brilliant performance.
   I of Newton was one of the shorts the program used to fill time when the main story didn’t fill a full hour.  A fine idea because it not only kept well written story’s from being padded to fill time but also gave us little nibbles like this which still gives me a thrill when I remember it.  This one featured Ron Glass who later played Shepard Book on Firefly.

    Both are VERY worth the time it may take to find and watch.

Edited by Tjack
Damn Spellcheck!
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, death tribble said:

'There's Something On the Wing !'

 

This is the only answer.

 

I've always had a fondness for "Nightmare at 20,000 feet / There's Something on the Wing," not so much for the episode itself, but a funny memory about it.

 

When "Twilight Zone: The Movie" came out, I was a freshman in college.  One of my housemates worked at a local movie theater and got me a pair of tickets to the midnight premier of the movie.  For some strange reason, my girlfriend's parents gave her permission to stay out late enough to see the movie with me.  (She was several years younger than me, still in high school, and it was a 30-minute drive from my place to hers, so I was quite shocked her parents said yes.) 

 

I'm almost positive she never saw the original episode, so the remake was drawing her in completely.  You know the scene where John Lithgow keeps looking at the closed window shade, and you *know* he's going to open it quickly, and you *know* the creature is going to be *right there* with his face at the window?  A great shock moment.  Well, right when that happened, I clamped my hand down on her shoulder.  She stood up and screamed in the middle of the theater.  (It's a miracle she didn't punch me in the face then and there, and I don't know why the heck she still dated me afterward.)  God, I was a little s**t back then.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, BoloOfEarth said:

 

I've always had a fondness for "Nightmare at 20,000 feet / There's Something on the Wing," not so much for the episode itself, but a funny memory about it.

 

When "Twilight Zone: The Movie" came out, I was a freshman in college.  One of my housemates worked at a local movie theater and got me a pair of tickets to the midnight premier of the movie.  For some strange reason, my girlfriend's parents gave her permission to stay out late enough to see the movie with me.  (She was several years younger than me, still in high school, and it was a 30-minute drive from my place to hers, so I was quite shocked her parents said yes.) 

 

I'm almost positive she never saw the original episode, so the remake was drawing her in completely.  You know the scene where John Lithgow keeps looking at the closed window shade, and you *know* he's going to open it quickly, and you *know* the creature is going to be *right there* with his face at the window?  A great shock moment.  Well, right when that happened, I clamped my hand down on her shoulder.  She stood up and screamed in the middle of the theater.  (It's a miracle she didn't punch me in the face then and there, and I don't know why the heck she still dated me afterward.)  God, I was a little s**t back then.


     The best line ever on Third Rock From the Sun happened when the aliens were going to be inspected by their leader “The Big Giant Head” and went to meet him at the airport he comes out disheveled and played by William Shatner.  They ask what happened and he tells them that he materialized on the plane and when he looked out the window “THERE WAS SOMETHING ON THE WING!!!!!”   The audience cracks up, long, long, laugh.  When it finally dies down John Lithgow’s character steps forward grabs him and says “THE SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME!!!!!” 
    I don’t know exactly when the audience stopped laughing but I’m still chuckling.

Link to post
Share on other sites

ok, I have given props to the ones I agree with above and will add in a few more:

Nothing in the Dark - Robert Redford as an injured policeman (for those who haven't seen, won't say more)

2 of Jack Klugmans - A Passage for Horn and A Game of Pool

The Hunt - A man and his dog are on the road to Heaven

 

I am not a very religious person, but still love those episodes.

And although I have given props to ones above, Burgess Meredith's shows were awesome, but I agree that the 2 standouts were time enough at last and the obsolete man.

 

I also loved the ending twist on A World of His Own.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not a huge fan of the show and i rarely remember episode names (if I had my way, all series would have names like Friends episodes "The One Where Chandler and Joey Get a Chicken".

 

But there was a Twilight Zone episode where a guy was looking forward to the end of the world so he could have peace and quiet to read. Back when I had more reading material, I very much sympathized with him.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, archer said:

Not a huge fan of the show and i rarely remember episode names (if I had my way, all series would have names like Friends episodes "The One Where Chandler and Joey Get a Chicken".

 

But there was a Twilight Zone episode where a guy was looking forward to the end of the world so he could have peace and quiet to read. Back when I had more reading material, I very much sympathized with him.

 

"Time Enough at Last". 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Hermit said:

 

Liked them all.

Special fondness for The Obsolete Man which is under rated in my view 

Obsolete Man is my favorite.

Praise for pip makes me cry. I hate admitting when I cry.

1 hour ago, slikmar said:

ok, I have given props to the ones I agree with above and will add in a few more:

Nothing in the Dark - Robert Redford as an injured policeman (for those who haven't seen, won't say more)

2 of Jack Klugmans - A Passage for Horn and A Game of Pool

The Hunt - A man and his dog are on the road to Heaven

 

I am not a very religious person, but still love those episodes.

And although I have given props to ones above, Burgess Meredith's shows were awesome, but I agree that the 2 standouts were time enough at last and the obsolete man.

 

I also loved the ending twist on A World of His Own.

 

Yeah, like the hunt, too

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t remember the name of it but the one where Martin Landau plays a political defector placed in a booby-trapped room by his sadistic pursuer is a great nerve wracking story with a fantastic last line.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Sundog said:

I have two favourites both from the '85 version of the Zone: Paladin of the Lost Hour and I of Newton.

 

I watched these last night, Paladin is a sweet episode and it's nice to see Danny Kaye in it. Newton I had seen before but forgot the name, great little mini episode! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Tjack said:

I don’t remember the name of it but the one where Martin Landau plays a political defector placed in a booby-trapped room by his sadistic pursuer is a great nerve wracking story with a fantastic last line.

The Jeopardy Room. Season five original series.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...