Favorite Episodes: The Twilight Zone

To Serve Man- Great twist ending and Richard Kiel as the alien.

The Monsters Are Due On Maple Street- Man is his own worse enemy. More relevant than ever.

The Man in the Bottle- the classic "be careful what you wish for" story.

The Howling Man- You can catch the devil, but you can't hold him.

Eye of the Beholder- Another one that holds up in this day of hating those different from ourselves.

Nick of Time- Say what you want, but Shatner is pretty good in this.

One for the Angels- A "pitchman" vs Death.

Will the Real Martian Please Stand Up- More "man is his own worse enemy" commentary. Plus great ending.

The Midnight Sun- Another well executed twist.

Living Doll: Better than Chuckie.

The Masks- Love the execution of this one.

In the original series, my favorite is "In Praise of Pip" Jack Klugman portrays a deeply flawed father seeking to spend more time with his dying son and redemption. In the 1985 series, it is a toss up between "NIghtcrawlers" about a crazy Vietnam veteran who has the superhuman power to make his nightmares come to life and "Her Pilgrim Soul" about a scientists who finds a way to communicate with a soulmate from a previous life.

4 hours ago, death tribble said:

I'm surprised that we do not have a DS9 episode list yet.

Or for the fact that we do not have a Dr Who one yet.

Or Buffy the Vampire Slayer especially given the original devotion of some of the posters here for Ms E Dushku

Not saying these threads should start, just saying

Haven't watched much Dr. Who.

Time travel makes me brain hurt.

5 hours ago, death tribble said:

Or Buffy the Vampire Slayer especially given the original devotion of some of the posters here for Ms E Dushku

Or Night Gallery, also a Rod Serling show.

20 hours ago, death tribble said:

Out of these shows listed, Dr. Who is the best with BtvS running second.

The biggest problem with the Dr. is that there are many different doctors and series so people need to mention which doctor/series they are talking about.

On 10/17/2020 at 6:06 PM, death tribble said:

I wasn't trying to fill in empty spaces with this thread, I just wanted a conversation that I could take part in. I never watched B5, DS9, Voyager, or Stargate SG1*. So I'm out of those threads. 

*Just started recently, actually.

12 hours ago, Logan.1179 said:

I wasn't trying to fill in empty spaces with this thread, I just wanted a conversation that I could take part in. I never watched B5, DS9, Voyager, or Stargate SG1*. So I'm out of those threads. 

*Just started recently, actually.

I watched Stargate the movie. Never really got into the series, I have watched about 15 to 20 episodes, though.

On 10/17/2020 at 4:53 PM, Logan.1179 said:

Going through the '80s Zone again I am reminded of how much is mixed up in my memory with Amazing Stories, another wonderful anthology.

I loved the intro to that show. Sure, cheesy CGI by Today's standards, but wow it captured the spirit of storytelling being in our very bone and sinew as a people

And outside the genre specific shows that you would think the board members would be fond of

there is also Xena Warrior Princess, Hercules the Legendary Journeys that we have not covered

And then there is

Supernatural

Law and Order

Law and Order: Special Victims Unit

NCIS

NCIS: Los Angeles

CSI

CSI: Miami

CSI: New York

Bonanza

Gunsmoke

The Fugitive

ER

Grey's Anatomy

ER

Family Guy

American Dad

The Simpsons

Hawaii Five-O original

Hawaii Five-O reboot

M*A*S*H

Bones

Cheers

Fraser

Friends

Fantasy Island

to name but a few

In the 80's Twilight Zone, to get back on topic, there were three episodes that really made an impression on me.

The very first episode, "Shatterday", based on the Harlan Ellison story (Ellison was a story editor on the show until he started ticking everybody off and finally rage-quit. How the producers could have expected any other outcome knowing Ellison's history is beyond me.) A man discovers he has a doppelganger who is much better than he is at everything that really matters. Bruce Willis is brilliant in it.

Then there was "Gramma", based on a Stephen King story. I prefer film adaptations of his work to reading it. When done well, it represents the "horror of ideas" and "What-Ifs that go horribly wrong" really well. I was really impressed by the critically-panned Needful Things (the one with Max Von Sydow as the Devil making deals all over a small town in Maine). In this case, a boy waits for his monstrous grandmother to die and, among other things, discovers her copy of the Necronomicon. When I heard the name I visibly blanched in terror. A friend asked me why, so I lent her my copy of "Call of Cthulhu" (the story, not the game). the very next afternoon she threw it back in my face. Literally.

Then there's "The Star", an Arthur C. Clarke story about space explorers finding a star that went nova at about the time the Magi would have seen the star that led them to Jesus. One of the explorers is a Catholic Priest, and when he discovers the system was inhabited it triggers a true crisis of faith -- what sort of God would destroy one people to make his will known to another? Although the writers attempted to tack on an upbeat ending, irt failed and I failed to see how an upbeat ending was even imaginable.