Marksman variant

Mr. R

I am making an NPC for my collection and am using a random generator for ideas.  One roll was for a marksman.  But I don't want to do the BFG (a la Lazer) or an Archer / Crossbow person.  

So any other ideas?

Javelins?

Sling?  

Energy Spear?

Throwing Disks?

Anything else?

Recommendations?

The Marvel villain Bullseye had the marksman Skill/Power but unlike most of that sort he wasn’t limited to one style of weapon.  How about someone who can use ANYTHING as a deadly thrown or aimed weapon?   Throw in the Martial Art skill of “found weapon” to beef up his hand to hand work in case all his carried weapons are taken and you’ve got something there.

MCU Hawkeye: I tried golf...I played eighteen, I shot eighteen.

A long time ago I created a Mexican superhero who used a modernized version of the atlatl, the Aztec variation on the classic spear- or dart-thrower. He employed gimmicked projectiles like super-archers usually do, but he carried a pair of atlatls which he could also use as fighting batons for close combat.

I haven't touched the character in years, so you're more than welcome to use the concept, or one of the similar spear-throwers from another culture, like the Australian aboriginal woomera.

1 hour ago, steriaca said:

Humm...Sportsmaster from DC uses sports themed weapons. Some of them can even be ranged weapons. Imagine a baseball themed guy throwing baseballs so fast that they ignite. 

IIRC the 4E book High Tech Enemies included a cyborg called Fastball whose bionic arm could throw steel "baseballs" with tremendous velocity.

Mr. R, I was thinking about the suggestion in your original post of using a sling. It strikes me that, with the access to technology, magic, and/or extraordinary strength that supers can have, a sling could be made for further uses than just as a projectile weapon. Perhaps it can be employed as a garrotte, or hold a heavy enough weight in its cup to make an effective flail. Its straps could be extensible, to entangle an opponent's limbs, or grab an Accessible Focus.

Late to the party, but I have always enjoyed the idea of a marksman who is so good that refuses to use anything but non-lethals: anything else is, in his eyes, "unnecessary and unsporting," as his skill is so over-the-top that doing more than just 'practicing' against an opponent is unfair.  Tasers and bolos are personal favorites, but honestly, any entangle is good: it removed an "unworthy opponent" from combat, but doesn't harm him in anyway.  Perhaps that's the motivation he needs to practice more, and become "good enough to fight" at some point in the future.

1 hour ago, Mr. R said:

Yeah, but even Green Arrow calls it corny!

So modernize it. 

It's not a boxing glove, it's a tiny airbag with a proximity fuse.  Fire it at a person, and just before impact the airbag deploys, spreading the impact surface area across their entire face and, for game purposes, making the attack do Stun Only.

1 hour ago, phydaux said:

So modernize it. 

It's not a boxing glove, it's a tiny airbag with a proximity fuse.  Fire it at a person, and just before impact the airbag deploys, spreading the impact surface area across their entire face and, for game purposes, making the attack do Stun Only.

There are various arrowheads in real life, including blunt heads which are designed not to penetrate but instead do kinetic damage. In fact, enjoy this small chart of them.

Note: while technically for arrowheads, one could imagine them for dart tips and other types of non-gunpowder ranged weapons which are not arrows or daggers (who ever herd of a blunted tipped throwing dagger without a tapered end?).

images.jpeg

On 11/3/2020 at 10:19 PM, Mr. R said:

I am making an NPC for my collection and am using a random generator for ideas.  One roll was for a marksman.  But I don't want to do the BFG (a la Lazer) or an Archer / Crossbow person.  

So any other ideas?

Javelins?

Sling?  

Energy Spear?

Throwing Disks?

Anything else?

Recommendations?

Sharpie, the weapon for the ultimate "marks-man".

I've suggested before that a marksman-type could use a slingshot, the weapon of mischievous little boys everywhere.  Give him various less-than-lethal loads--pepper balls, hard rubber balls, paint for marking a target, flashbangs, etc.--and you're all set.  There's even the perfect name for such a character--The Menace.

i had a character several year ago who has a magical deck of playing cards that could be used as weapons. Mechanically, it was built as two linked Mutipowers. I (the player) drew a card whenever I wanted to attack, and the value and suit of the card told me what powers would be active.

Here's a link, if anyone's interested: Wild Card

1 hour ago, Pariah said:

i had a character several year ago who has a magical deck of playing cards that could be used as weapons. Mechanically, it was built as two linked Mutipowers. I (the player) drew a card whenever I wanted to attack, and the value and suit of the card told me what powers would be active.

Here's a link, if anyone's interested: Wild Card

Wow, it’s kind of like the old Dial H for Hero.

Thanks for the replies.  So I settled on a javelin thrower using an atlatl for range and power, and the atlatl can be used as fighting sticks.  The javelins are high tech with a large MP and the usual suspects: EB, EB w/AP, Flash, Entangle, Darkness, etc

Look for it on my Conversion thread in the near future (I am making 12 NPC to really plumb this Random Generator)

On 11/5/2020 at 2:16 AM, wcw43921 said:

I've suggested before that a marksman-type could use a slingshot, the weapon of mischievous little boys everywhere.  Give him various less-than-lethal loads--pepper balls, hard rubber balls, paint for marking a target, flashbangs, etc.--and you're all set.  There's even the perfect name for such a character--The Menace.

Frank Miller likes that, too.  But it was a girl named Carrie.

Robin-DC-Comics-Dark-Knight-Returns-Carrie-Kelley-b[1].jpg

• 2 weeks later...