And yet another reason the world seems to be getting less and less intelligent....

Spence

I was visiting Trailer Addict to see if there was anything new and I noticed a article written by the TA staff that makes me seriously wonder if people are really suffering from diminished mental abilities.

The article was “How Does ‘Flash Gordon’ Stack Up To Other Classic Superhero Films?”

Seriously? That is like asking ‘How does your Bayliner ski boat’s performance stack up to other bicycles?” 

1980’s Flash Gordon was a campy adaptation of a Pulp Scifi adventure story/comic strip about a swashbuckling but normal human.

while Superhero stories are about Heroes that have fantastic superhuman powers.

The only thing that they even have in common, in this instance, is they are movies.

This from a business that claims to report on the movie industry and yet apparently doesn’t even speak the language that the article is written in. 

Click bait is usually a link that take you to a completely other webpage that usually has nothing to do with the link title.

Well this didn't divert me to another site, it was an article by TA on TA, and reading the article they were serious.

First can someone correct the title to say world instead of workd ? It is distracting.

Second is the article comparing Flash to films of the same period or is it comparing it to things like the current Marvel Cinema Universe films ?

I can say that the 1980s Flash Gordon has one thing in common with the first Avengers film. I can happily rewatch either. They are like, for me, The Battle of Britain, Star Wars A New Hope or The Great Escape. You can just sit back and watch them repeatedly.

This has been banging around in the back of my head since I sent that first post.  Why shouldn’t Flash Gordon be somewhere on that list?   No powers?  Neither do Batman, The Spirit or the Phantom.   Because it’s got humor in it?  That’s like saying Blazing Saddles isn’t a Western.  Or McClintock for that matter.  If you object to it because it’s campy the you have to toss out the 1966 Batman movie. 
      Live and let live.  

BTW;   To mash two Arron Sorkin lines together  Today is my day of jubilee!  Bring me the finest bagels and muffins in all the land!      (I’ve been watching a LOT of West Wing to take the sting out of the election.)

2 hours ago, Tjack said:

This has been banging around in the back of my head since I sent that first post.  Why shouldn’t Flash Gordon be somewhere on that list?   No powers?  Neither do Batman, The Spirit or the Phantom.   Because it’s got humor in it?  That’s like saying Blazing Saddles isn’t a Western.  Or McClintock for that matter.  If you object to it because it’s campy the you have to toss out the 1966 Batman movie. 

Because most of them are not Superheroes either.

Batman was never a hero.  He was a vigilante and in his original form killed off criminals.  Batman is one of my favorite characters, but he was never a superhero.

Flash Gordon is definitely on the same list as The Spirit and Phantom, but they were not superheros either......ever.  They were Pulp vigilantes.  Similar to Doc Savage, except Doc was an actual good guy hero that assisted within law and order rather than out side of it.  

It is just like the supervillains Venom and Deadpool, one casually eats people and the other casually kills people.  BUt they are not superheroes. 

However Blazing Saddles and McClintock are both definitely westerns just like they are both movies.  Of course westerns covers a far larger scope than Superheroes which are both possessing SUPER beyond the capability of the human form powers heroic and good guys.  As opposed to regular normal human on a scifi adventure from the pulp age. 

I guess we should just call everything superhero films, Star Wars, Star Trek, Blue Bloods. 

Heck everything. 

4 hours ago, Tjack said:

This has been banging around in the back of my head since I sent that first post.  Why shouldn’t Flash Gordon be somewhere on that list?   No powers?

Generally speaking, the superhero genre is set in the present day while futuristic settings are considered sf. The only exception I can think of for a normal is Batman Beyond. 

15 minutes ago, Old Man said:

I can’t remember how many of them are normals. 

Normal for their planet.... Chameleon Boy,  Phantom Girl, Triplicate Girl, Colossal Boy, Cosmic Boy, Saturn Girl, etc.

P.S.  dmjalund buddy, you beat me to the punch.  Good job.

10 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

Tim's managing the complaints desk.  Send him over there....

But I’m Tim...

(I have the ID to prove it.  what did you think the T in Tjack stood for...France?)

(Go ahead, place that line, I double dare ya.)😝

When I think of "superhero," I think of someone who can do extraordinary things that normal people can't, in the name of helping and protecting people, at great personal risk and cost, and according to a moral code. I would call comic-book Batman a superhero, because his brilliance, skill, and force of will are beyond a real-world human; he may not follow the letter of the law, but he's devoted to its spirit; all his actions are aimed at shutting down those who prey on the innocent; and he arose out of tragedy, but has given up a normal life for the sake of keeping other people safe to have their own.