Remembrance

Panpiper

Detonating artillery shells falling on Dunkirk echoed in the distance. It was late May, 1940, my father was only eleven years old. He was in a small restaurant with my grandfather, the two of them perplexed by the French soldier sitting next to them having a feast. The soldier's meal was lavish, far in excess of what virtually all Europeans were used to in those days of rationing.

My grandfather struck up conversation with the soldier. "Excuse me, but you are using up all your ration coupons on this one meal. What will you eat later if you spend them all like this?"

The soldier smiled forlornly and explained, "Tomorrow the Germans will attack."

He would have no further use for his coupons. He had no intention of retreat. This was his last supper.

For that soldier who died protecting my father and all the rest of us. For all the others I could never begin to name or even know of. For all those who stand the wall. Thank you. 

The Remembrance Service was held on Sunday 8th and was much reduced due to the virus but the Queen still attended the reduced ceremony It was dignified.

One of my grandfathers escaped from Dunkirk and got back to Britain. He fought in the war and survived. Both my grandfathers were Terriers i.e. they joined the Territorial Army before war broke out. Both survived into the 1990s.

The 2 minute silence was restored and took place today. 

12 hours ago, Panpiper said:

Detonating artillery shells falling on Dunkirk echoed in the distance. It was late May, 1940, my father was only eleven years old. He was in a small restaurant with my grandfather, the two of them perplexed by the French soldier sitting next to them having a feast. The soldier's meal was lavish, far in excess of what virtually all Europeans were used to in those days of rationing.

My grandfather struck up conversation with the soldier. "Excuse me, but you are using up all your ration coupons on this one meal. What will you eat later if you spend them all like this?"

The soldier smiled forlornly and explained, "Tomorrow the Germans will attack."

He would have no further use for his coupons. He had no intention of retreat. This was his last supper.

For that soldier who died protecting my father and all the rest of us. For all the others I could never begin to name or even know of. For all those who stand the wall. Thank you. 

And that is why I will not put up with jokes about the "Cowardly French."

Rest You Well, Mon Frere.  Vive La France.