My Players Never Block

5 hours ago, MrAgdesh said:

Except that once simultaneous DEX characters agree to that roll-off, they are both locked in. Neither can then abort that action if they don't like the result of the dice roll. You can Abort prior to the roll, sure, but not after.

That is completely untrue.  The only time you cannot abort to a defensive action is if you have already gone.  Besides if Bob is smart he is not even going to try to go first, he is simply going to declare he is blocking. 

2 minutes ago, LoneWolf said:

That is completely untrue.  The only time you cannot abort to a defensive action is if you have already gone.  Besides if Bob is smart he is not even going to try to go first, he is simply going to declare he is blocking. 

Apparently not. 5rEd pg 360, 6E2 pg 19.

I will just add that (and I do use Block) it isn’t fool proof. Nothing worse than trying to Block or Dodge and still get hit.

Yeah.  There are a few things that really annoy players in my experience, and being beaten without a realistic chance (the capture scenario), being blinded, being stunned, and trying (or especially aborting to) a defensive move and failing is all right up there at the top.  The last bit usually teaches them to never try it again.

Blocking can speed up combat, especially in fantasy hero.  In most fantasy hero games the players defenses are kind of middle of the road.  The attacks they are facing are also not as high as in a champions game.  This means that outside a lucky shot it takes a while to take down someone.  When you block you stop the opponents attack cold. You don’t have to roll damage, and hit location or figure out how much they character takes.   

If you use the speed chart like my previous posts suggest you actually have a better chance of taking down your opponent.  You are doing more damage and probably have a better OCV.    Since your opponent just attacked chances are his DCV is also lower.  This may be enough for you to be able to get a called shot in without lowering your chance to hit to low.  You don’t have to go for a head shot, a chest shot is actually a good choice.  Now instead of doing a 1d6+1 KA you are doing a 2 1/2 d6.  So your attack went from doing 5 Body and 11 stun to 9 Body and 26 stun.  This is assuming a 15 STR character using a long sword and gaining +4 DC from something like a sacrifice strike. 

Two characters trading blows without blocking is going to take a lot longer.  While the character who does not block can also use the risky attacks it put them at a severe disadvantage.  Chances are that the player is going to die is pretty high.  Remember that the GM always has more opponent, so the odds are always in his favor.  

And while blocking or dodging is not an absolute defense it does greatly increase your chance of survival.  One last thing to consider is that blocking also is the best defense against the lucky guy who always seems to roll low enough to hit.  Seems like there is one player in every group that consistently manages to roll to hit no matter what your DCV is.  If this person is the GM blocking is your only defense.  Since blocking means he does not get to roll to hit his luck is negated.  

I find that Block/Dodge rarely get used (in Hero, not just Fantasy Hero) if the combatants are roughly equal, or against weaker opponents.  When facing one or two very powerful opponents, however, defensive actions come into their own.  Four against one?  As our phases come up, we delay.  When the enemy picks a target, that target Blocks or Dodges and the other three attack.  If the defensive move succeeds, no one takes damage.  Sometimes it fails, so that character, if badly damaged, withdraws to take a Recovery or two while the other three continue the tactic.

Well we just played a Fantasy game last night. I ran the villains so the cannon fodder I didn’t use Block to speed up play. The Boss and his personal guards I did when appropriate. The coolest use of Block though was the Fighter used his shield to Block an arrow from hitting the mage. Everyone was talking about THAT move!

Also I rolled 3 sixes when trying to Block too. That resulted in a bonus to hit.