Brick tricks roll

sinpros

Question

can anyone explain to me what a brick tricks roll is, or ANY tricks roll for that matter. im new to the game and was reading over the power CRUSHING GRIP in the Champions Powers book and i also have the Champions Complete book, but there is no reference in either book as to what tricks rolls are. i have the pdf of the Champions RPG 6e and there is some brief mention of brick tricks roll but no explanation for it. please help

2 answers to this question

Typically, a "Tricks Roll" of some kind is a Power Skill.  Examples would be Power Skill: Brick Tricks, Power Skill:  Speedster Tricks, Power Skill: Telekinetic Tricks, and similar.  The Limitation would more properly be Requires A Roll with the Skill Roll at -1 per 10 Active Points option, for -1/2 as a Limitation.  

Hopefully this answers your question; if not, feel free to post a follow-up Rules Question, or to start a thread in HERO System Discussion!  :) 

To follow-up on what my friend and peer posted, it’s helpful to understand the “how” of HERO in this context; because it’s an open purchase system, every skill starts as a blank template; advantages give a power function, and its limitations give it form. 

In this example, someone would purchase a series of abilities, such as “Crushing Grip,” “Snowstorm” (spinning AOE Autofire) and “Earthquake” (Ground slam AOE + Knockdown). That ability suite would take the limitation, Requires a Skill Roll. They must also purchase the associated skill, and that skill would be tied to a stat (likely strength). Then they would buy up the levels of the skill to the campaign allowable limit to ensure proper balance and challenge. If the highest active point level is 60, and the skill is purchased up to 24, then it can never fail and would be worth 0 points.

As Chris said, I hope that helps, and please post any follow-ups as necessary, we’re happy to help.