Hero Designer does not recognize any file type on my Mac

T-ravisaurusRex

4 minutes ago, Villain In Glasses said:

Thanks for the solution. It is not the first thing I'd think of to put an application in the user folder. I had waited to upgrade macOS for a couple of years while 32-bit applications got upgraded or replaced.

This has nothing to do with 32-bit vs 64-bit....it's simply down to knowing how your operating system handles permissions (particularly those granted to applications like Java, which is what HD runs under).

Just now, Villain In Glasses said:

Well, 32-bit applications don't run under new macOS operating systems so I waited for those to be upgraded before updating my Mac. As other posters have noted the issue with HD doesn't show up under older versions of macOS.

Actually, it would but older systems tend to have permissions (particularly file operations) for Java pre-established as fairly open.

And holding off on updating your OS for years is a horrific idea for security...so opening up file permissions for Java on a current system shouldn't bother you in the slightest.

That is not really true. While the OS might have been 64-bit, 32-bit applications were supported up to including macOS Mojave. My last critical application holdout was Kaleidagraph, which only became 64-bit in November. 

And yes, this isn't the main point, but it does illustrate that an application can break unexpectedly, especially in the Apple universe.

Yeah...I'm closing this thread now.  Congrats.

Nothing in this thread has anything to do with an application breaking (regardless of your feelings about Apple or apps running in their "universe") -- it is and has been about understanding how your system manages file permissions.  Windows users have had to worry about it since UAC was introduced...Apple users for longer technically but with permissions being locked down more and more as time has progressed.  Linux users have been aware of permissions management throughout.

• Simon locked this topic