Desert Island list(s).

Bazza

Books: my scriptures, The Princess Bride, A Night In the Lonesome October, The Demon-Haunted World: Science As a Candle In the Dark, and Champions 4th Edition (BBB)

Movies: The Princess Bride, The Incredibles, Murder By Death, Star Wars: Return of the Jedi, and The Emperor's New Groove 

Albums: The Music of Cosmos, Brothers In Arms by Dire Straits, Wicked Twisted Road by Reckless Kelly, Refuel by Rocket Scientists, and Messiah by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir and the Philadelphia Orchestra.

Albums:  Dire Straits, Communique;  Knopfler and Harris, Real Live Roadrunning;  Queen, greatest hits vol. 2;  the Fantasia soundtrack;  DG recording of Berlin Phil performing Beethoven's 9th

Movies:  Magnificent Seven, Doctor Strange, Dr. Strangelove, Blazing Saddles, and...hmmm...how about The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.

Books is tough.  Ender's Game.  Gaiman's Neverwhere.  Stranger in a Strange Land.  A double pick that's still a bit of a cheat...Bujold's Penric stories.  I think it's up to 6 but most are novellas.

Can I take albums specifically for the purpose of trading for other people's books? Or am I alone on the island?

Because honestly, I almost never listen to music because it gives me migraines.

On 11/29/2020 at 5:10 AM, Bazza said:

Assuming you were stuck on a desert island for a considerable time, what 5

- books

- films or tv shows

- music albums

...would you want to take with you. 

Books:

• A field guide to the birds of the region  (I already own one for the tropical Pacific)
  • Svetozar Gligoric's Fischer vs Spassky: The Chess Match of the Century
  • The Feynman Lectures on Physics (which is usually in three volumes, but I have seen it in a single binding, so I am counting it as one book)
  • A star atlas.  Exactly which one depends on (1) where I was, (2) what optical aid I had with me: none? binoculars? a small telescope? and (3) if I can find one in a robust physical format, like the pre-1990 Norton's Star Atlas used to be.
  • The Building Foreman's Pocket Book and Ready Reference, by H G Richey, published 1909.  My great-grandfather was a contractor, and I have his copy of this book.  Lots of things that would no doubt be handy to have in "primitive" conditions.

Music and videos require more thought and may come in a subsequent post.

3 hours ago, archer said:

Can I take albums specifically for the purpose of trading for other people's books? Or am I alone on the island?

Because honestly, I almost never listen to music because it gives me migraines.

Then skip that section. You still can carry 5 books and 5 films/tv shows. 

3 hours ago, Cancer said:

Books:

• A field guide to the birds of the region  (I already own one for the tropical Pacific)
  • Svetozar Gligoric's Fischer vs Spassky: The Chess Match of the Century
  • The Feynman Lectures on Physics (which is usually in three volumes, but I have seen it in a single binding, so I am counting it as one book)
  • A star atlas.  Exactly which one depends on (1) where I was, (2) what optical aid I had with me: none? binoculars? a small telescope? and (3) if I can find one in a robust physical format, like the pre-1990 Norton's Star Atlas used to be.
  • The Building Foreman's Pocket Book and Ready Reference, by H G Richey, published 1909.  My great-grandfather was a contractor, and I have his copy of this book.  Lots of things that would no doubt be handy to have in "primitive" conditions.

Music and videos require more thought and may come in a subsequent post.

The three volumes edition is fine, you can take that if you like. 

3 hours ago, Tjack said:

Doing a real list now.
 Do book series that make up one story like the Amber series by Roger Zelazny (5 paperbacks each around 180 pages) or the Game of Thrones novels count as individual books or as one story?

Either Corwin or Merlin individually - one pick 

Both cycles individually - 2 picks

An edition that has both bound together - 1 pick

An edition that treats the Chronicles of Amber as a box set - 1 pick

Same applies for other series like A Song of Fire and Ice, Lord of the Rings, Narnia etc. 

O.K. let’s give this a try.

Music; CD Box sets of all the music of

The Beatles

Soundtrack for the TV series: Jazz

Harry Chapin: Greatest Stories:Live

Best of Broadway w/ all the Tony Award winning songs 

Soundtrack for The Big Chill

TV Shows;

West Wing

Deep Space Nine

Firefly w/ Serenity movie

Babylon 5

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Books;

The Many Colored Land (aka Pliocene Exile) series by Julien May

The unabridged version of Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert A. Heinlein

The Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon series by Spider Robinson

The Encyclopedia Britannica (I like to browse)

A set of the great Noir Novels. (Maltese Falcon, My Gun is Quick, The Dain Curse etc.)

Movies;

The John Wayne box set of Rio Bravo, Rio Lobo & Rio Grande

The box set of the Mission Impossible movies

Casablanca

The box set of the Rat Pack movies. (Ocean’s 11, Robin & the 7 Hoods, Sargents 3 & 4 for Texas)

The box set of the original Star Wars trilogy