2020-2021 NBA Season

Starlord

6 hours ago, Starlord said:

Rockets trading Russell Westbrook to Wizards for John Wall, draft pick

Rockets really trying hard to appease Harden here with this trade and signing Boogie Cousins last month.  Wall and Cousins are very talented, but both are injury prone and have barely played in the last 2 years.

Harden reportedly wants out too -- politics is a big factor here. I don't think anyone has value to give to the Rockets in exchange, so he's sort of stuck for a while. I imagine he could hold out for a trade, but that won't help.

The NBA can make things more complicated than any other league can imagine.  From ESPN, details on the draft pick:

The Wizards are sending Wall and a lottery-protected 2023 first-round NBA draft pick to the Rockets for Westbrook in a deal that both players wanted and had been simmering for weeks.

The 2023 first-round pick is lottery protected for the Wizards. If it doesn't convey in that year, it has a succession of protections that include picks Nos. 1-12 in 2024, picks 1-10 in 2025 and picks 1-8 in 2026, sources said. If it hasn't conveyed as a first-round pick to Houston by 2026, it becomes a second-round pick in each of 2026 and 2027, sources told ESPN.

Feels like the Wizards GM is just sacrificing something that the *next* GM might've wanted.  Otherwise, it's just trading problem children.  Harden is a different issue.  Personally, I think he's even more toxic to a team;  he's far too much of a ball hog.  But his numbers are insane;  his talent is huge.  That means Houston has to ask for the sun, the moon, the stars, and a few alternate dimensions in order to make it worthwhile...for a player who won't fit anywhere, IMO.  Or, if you prefer, fit in anywhere.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/3/2020 at 3:28 PM, Michael Hopcroft said:

Harden reportedly wants out too -- politics is a big factor here. I don't think anyone has value to give to the Rockets in exchange, so he's sort of stuck for a while. I imagine he could hold out for a trade, but that won't help.

Cant imagine any team crazy enough to take on the walking migraine that is Harden.

4 hours ago, unclevlad said:

The NBA stars know they have basically ALL the power;  their team has very little.  Yeah, he's a little brat I wouldn't want on my team.

Yeah, if i was a Gm, and got a message on my phone from Houston. IT is going to be "accidentally" deleted.😉

I have heard the Simmons and 1st rd picks for Harden a few days ago. I wouldnt do a straight up trade for that.  Simmons is younger, and most of what you would gain on offense, you give back on defense. And, again, migraine headache walking.

17 hours ago, Badger said:

Cant imagine any team crazy enough to take on the walking migraine that is Harden.

Well it's a combination of factors too.  Harden's got a massive contract...3 years, about $130M in salary, and almost $140M in cap hit.  As much as I hate his game and attitude, he's one of the top...10 for sure, probably 5...players in the league.  So the demands have to be high.  

And one can't ignore the point that Harden isn't a great fit on a lot of teams.  We hear about the Nets, but good gosh, get serious.  Irving and Harden together would be massively more toxic than Westbrook and Harden.  THEN you have Durant.

8 hours ago, Pariah said:

What's the NBA equivalent of the Raiders these days?

Well, he is going full on Antonio Brown.

5 hours ago, unclevlad said:

Well it's a combination of factors too.  Harden's got a massive contract...3 years, about $130M in salary, and almost $140M in cap hit.  As much as I hate his game and attitude, he's one of the top...10 for sure, probably 5...players in the league.  So the demands have to be high.  

And one can't ignore the point that Harden isn't a great fit on a lot of teams.  We hear about the Nets, but good gosh, get serious.  Irving and Harden together would be massively more toxic than Westbrook and Harden.  THEN you have Durant.

Yeah, philly was the only team i could see as seriously doing it. And i would rather have Simmons.

• 3 weeks later...

And now, there's a big question if Harden is really trying.  Postgame interview tonight was "yeah, we're a bad team."  Dismissively, and pretty clearly not trying to do anything to fix it.  His last 5 games, counting tonight, have been lame.  One was a win but Orlando apparently forgot to play.  Tonight was the 3rd time in 5 games he didn't even reach 20 points...and that's going to tank his already-low trade value.

Meanwhile, what the heck is up with Kyrie?  Sounds like he's gotta lotta splainin to do. Lucy....

I wouldn't trade for Harden except for pennies on the dollar. He's an awesome scoring talent but the flaws in his defense, the way he warps the offense of other players and the attitude are too much.

When you think about it, he's had a system built around him and two HOF caliber teammates as running mates. By asking out and wanting to go to another team with established stars, he's admitting that he's not the man to lead a team to a championship. 

I think he could only go to a team with a top ten talent who's already won a championship.  Or a team with a strong, respected head coach or existing team culture.  He'd be forced to modify his game.  However, there are only a couple other teams like that.  For example, he'd clearly have to acquiesce to Durant or Steph or Lebron.  They were very close with Chris Paul, but that seemingly wore on Paul's nerves.

I think Kyrie Irving has some genuine personality disorder and/or other mental health issues.

Report: Houston Rockets trade James Harden to Brooklyn Nets in blockbuster deal

...and Durant it is.

Houston will acquire Victor Oladipo, Dante Exum, Rodions Kurucs, four first-round picks and four first-round pick swaps in the four-team deal, which also includes the Indiana Pacers and Cleveland Cavaliers, per Wojnarowski and The Athletic’s Shams Charania. Jarrett Allen and Taurean Prince will be sent from Brooklyn to Cleveland. In return for Oladipo, the Pacers will receive Caris LeVert and a second-round pick.

The four draft picks and the pick swaps are all unprotected, according to Charania. One of the picks going to Houston reportedly includes the 2022 first-round pick Cleveland previously acquired from the Milwaukee Bucks. The Cavaliers are also sending a 2024 second-round pick to the Nets in the four-team trade.

I think that's probably the best Houston can get.  Oladipo is big if he can get back to where he was before the injury.  Picks are unprotected but that's a lot of picks that can really pay off if you can hit on 1 or 2.  Nets have a scary trio, but where will the defense be?  Jarrett Allen was a premium defender.  Now the only solid defender they have is Durant.

17 hours ago, unclevlad said:

And now, there's a big question if Harden is really trying.  Postgame interview tonight was "yeah, we're a bad team."  Dismissively, and pretty clearly not trying to do anything to fix it.  His last 5 games, counting tonight, have been lame.  One was a win but Orlando apparently forgot to play.  Tonight was the 3rd time in 5 games he didn't even reach 20 points...and that's going to tank his already-low trade value.

Meanwhile, what the heck is up with Kyrie?  Sounds like he's gotta lotta splainin to do. Lucy....

It does confirm that the Nets shouldnt go in on Harden. No team can survive that apocalyptic team up.

If it ever happened.  Questions are cropping up whether Kyrie wants to play, or at the very least, whether it's his priority.

Another issue with Harden to the Nets, UNLESS it was for Kyrie...interesting thought there, trade problem children...Kyrie, Durant, and Harden apparently all have player options for the 22-23 season.  

2 hours ago, Starlord said:

Report: Houston Rockets trade James Harden to Brooklyn Nets in blockbuster deal

...and Durant it is.

Houston will acquire Victor Oladipo, Dante Exum, Rodions Kurucs, four first-round picks and four first-round pick swaps in the four-team deal, which also includes the Indiana Pacers and Cleveland Cavaliers, per Wojnarowski and The Athletic’s Shams Charania. Jarrett Allen and Taurean Prince will be sent from Brooklyn to Cleveland. In return for Oladipo, the Pacers will receive Caris LeVert and a second-round pick.

The four draft picks and the pick swaps are all unprotected, according to Charania. One of the picks going to Houston reportedly includes the 2022 first-round pick Cleveland previously acquired from the Milwaukee Bucks. The Cavaliers are also sending a 2024 second-round pick to the Nets in the four-team trade.

I think that's probably the best Houston can get.  Oladipo is big if he can get back to where he was before the injury.  Picks are unprotected but that's a lot of picks that can really pay off if you can hit on 1 or 2.  Nets have a scary trio, but where will the defense be?  Jarrett Allen was a premium defender.  Now the only solid defender they have is Durant.

Also, Rockets apparently got LeVert but had to get him to Indy for Oladipo.  I might've kept LeVert as he was really improving, but it probably set up as terms in such a complicated deal.

On 1/13/2021 at 7:19 PM, unclevlad said:

Well...it happened.

Nets are betting the decade on this, if I understand the trade details right.  And yeah, I hope it totally blows up in their faces.  In part because if it works, the league structure is at extreme risk, as it feels like it'll cement the players' overweening power.

Yeah, it will blow up and it willbe glorious like a dying star.

Yeah, idid a comment on youtube to several people talking about how great it was and Brooklyn is winning a championship.

My simple comment: 1 ball, 3ball hogs.

12 hours ago, Badger said:

Yeah, it will blow up and it willbe glorious like a dying star.

Yeah, idid a comment on youtube to several people talking about how great it was and Brooklyn is winning a championship.

My simple comment: 1 ball, 3ball hogs.

Kyrie wasn't happy sharing with Lebron.

Harden has shown he doesn't play well with other ball handlers...Westbrook or Paul.  Or if you prefer, the team doesn't play consistently well together.

Durant seems to be chasing some chimera of a perfect situation.  He had it, I think, in Golden State, but he couldn't see it that way.

Plus, this team's defense might make Mike D'Antonio look like a defensive guru by comparison.

Of course, the whole situation might collapse before it can explode, with the Kyrie situation.  We have no clue why he's gone but it's been, what, 5 games now?  And it's a 72 game season, so that's a fair chunk of it already.  Then to get spotted at a political virtual event...where *is* his head at right now?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

The Utah Jazz clinched the top overall seed in the playoffs tonight with a win at Sacramento.

Naturally the lead stories on my sports site of choice are about the Lakers in the play-in in the West and the Knicks taking the #4 seed in the East. 

Well, just think...Warriors beat Lakers (hope, hope)...Lakers beat the schlubs who survive the 9-10 game...then you can get your revenge immediately, cuz it'll be Jazz-Lakers.

One thing the play-in did was it made quite a few games interesting...you wanted to stay out of the 7 spot if possible (nyah, nyah, Lakers!), 8 and 9 seeds coming into the day were playing.  The East was *mostly* locked up;  Philly, Brooklyn, Bucks were all set earlier.  But 4-5 could've flipped, and 8-9-10 was up for grabs.  West had a lot of seeding...but by the same token, honestly, I don't think it matters that much, OTHER than the Lakers not making it to 6th.  The play-in is always risky.  But above that...there's just not a lot separating Phoenix and Utah, Denver and the Clippers, or Dallas and Portland, taken as pairs.  So, Den-Dal and Clips-Port, or Den-Port and Clips-Dal...I don't think there's a lot to pick from either way.  Same with 1-2 vs. 3-4.