Is Robin a DNPC?

JmOz

3 hours ago, Hugh Neilson said:

"Negated by the colour yellow"  was the trope for GL for a long time, and that story dates back to the early 1980's, as I recall.

That wouldn't slow people down much in the average Champions campaign. There's too many ways of picking up random nearby large items and pummeling the yellow villain with that item instead of with a giant green boxing glove.

Or throwing mud, paint, or your own black cape over the yellow thing you want to affect.

I loved the idea of Green Lantern when I was a kid. But the stories each month really depended way too much on the hero not having any imagination when it came to how to use a ring which could create or do almost anything.

I loved the idea of Green Lantern when I was a kid. But the stories each month really depended way too much on the hero not having any imagination when it came to how to use a ring which could create or do almost anything.

Yeah the concept is really neat but the execution was almost always poor.  The original GL whose ring couldn't affect wood was much better written because his powers were more limited and they tended to focus on regular life stories like a detective or a pulp hero rather than big time superheroics.

The reboot with the new guy actually was a lot more creative (one of the rules creators were given with him was "he cannot use the same construct twice" so they had to come up with something new every time), and I liked his personality more as well.  Hal Jordan is... boring and uncreative.

Well, the '40s were not exactly a time of stellar continuity.  In his first appearance, the Power Ring charged him up - stronger, faster, etc. - and, I believe, made him immune to metal (so bulletproof).  Over time, he gained more powers, and the ring became effective against everything but wood.  But I don't think he had the "ring constructs" until he was matched with Hal Jordan GL in the '60s.

Actually, I recall a Superman comic in the '70s (pretty sure it was the lead story for one of those 100 pagers) where Superman blocked GL's ring with the yellow symbol on his cape to block Kryptonite radiation GL was putting out.  Can't recall why they were fighting, but I seem to recall that Terra-Man was involved.

48 minutes ago, Trencher said:

Robin does save Batmans ass a couple of times though. So buying him as a dnpc would be cheating. 

Basically any players who insist on giving their dnpc's weapons or gear and having them travel with them are probably powergamers and min maxers. 

Not sure I agree with that.  I think it comes down to the following 

Does the character need to be saved (or otherwise complicate The heroes life) a lot more often than they help if so DNPC (Lois Lane, Aunt May, sometimes Robin)

Does Character provide useful information or resources but for the most part stay out of things?  Contact (Jim Gordon, Alfred, Oracle)

Help the character "in the field" (Robin, Nightwing, etc...)

2950247789_355a96c16a_o.jpg

4 minutes ago, JmOz said:

Not sure I agree with that.  I think it comes down to the following 

Does the character need to be saved (or otherwise complicate The heroes life) a lot more often than they help if so DNPC (Lois Lane, Aunt May, sometimes Robin)

Does Character provide useful information or resources but for the most part stay out of things?  Contact (Jim Gordon, Alfred, Oracle)

Help the character "in the field" (Robin, Nightwing, etc...)

2950247789_355a96c16a_o.jpg

Um, that picture is generally use to show that Robin is Batman's romantic partner.

Though I guess in Champions terms that a romantic partner could be either a DNPC or a follower.

Robin was his costumed identity while he was training himself to be Batman.

It was an interesting concept but it never really made sense.  What does he gain by wearing a costume and taking up an alternate identity, but just a different one than Batman?  Nobody knew who Batman was, its not like he'd tarnish the name by being less capable.

6 hours ago, JmOz said:

Wasn't it just a stupid justification to do a Superboy/Robin team up (when Superboy was Superman as a kid)

Most of the time it was a Robin/Jimmy Olson team up stories (with Batman and Superman being glorified backup). Odd thing is that Jimmy was clearly about 21 or so compared to Robin at um, 14 or so...a forever 14. At the youngest Jimmy was 16...maybe.

On 12/4/2020 at 9:19 PM, Hermit said:

IIRC, it is technically against the rules to have a Follower also be a DNPC

I ignore this rule  and make Robin both. Usually he leans one way or another for me depending on story needs.

I’m going to say based on source material (in my case cartoons). He can be all over the place but he is consistent for that cartoon as to whether he’s a DNPC or Sidekick.

19 minutes ago, JmOz said:

I'm curious what Titans said he was 8.  Even in the earliest days I would peg him at 11-13...(at least the ones I have read, which is the original series)

They did a Teen Titans book, Year One I think (can look it up later). I'd say they were more 12-13 when the Teen Titans started, around 17-18 when New Teen Titans started. Wally is in college at the start so they don't say first or second year. 

And they've screwed up Wally so much in the last 10 year and Donna in the last 20-25 (sighs)

30 minutes ago, HeroGM said:

They did a Teen Titans book, Year One I think (can look it up later). I'd say they were more 12-13 when the Teen Titans started, around 17-18 when New Teen Titans started. Wally is in college at the start so they don't say first or second year. 

And they've screwed up Wally so much in the last 10 year and Donna in the last 20-25 (sighs)

Was about to stand up for Donna, When I realized that the one I liked started in the early 90's (early Troia) and would agree with almost everything that happened after the whole her son was evil storyline...Then again that whole era was kind of bad