Generic Hero for Review: Bendy

JmOz

So some of you are familiar with my Generic Heroes on my website, I think I am almost finished with the 8th one Bendy, but I like peer review, so here is the art and character sheet before I add him to the website.  This is a RAW and rough draft (So spelling errors will be common) and still working on complications...

Bendy
Generic Hero

VAL    CHA    Cost    Roll    Notes
20    STR    10    13- / 19-    HTH Damage 4d6/10d6  END [2/5]
28    DEX    36    15-
20    CON    10    13-
18    INT    8    13-    PER Roll 13-
13    EGO    3    12-
15    PRE    5    12-    PRE Attack: 3d6
8    OCV    25
8    DCV    25
3    OMCV    0
5    DMCV    6
6    SPD    40    Phases:  2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12
5    PD    3    5/10 PD (0/5 rPD)
5    ED    3    5/10 ED (0/5 rED)
15    REC    11
45    END    5
15    BODY    5    
30    STUN    5

Movement    Cost    Meters    Notes
RUNNING    3    15m/30m,/30m/60m    END [1/2]
SWIMMING    0    4m/8m    END [1]
LEAPING    0    4m/24m    4m/24m forward, 2m/12m upward
FLIGHT        10m/40m

Characteristics Total: 203

Cost    Powers
    Stretchy Powers, all slots Unified Power (-1/4) - END=
12    1)  Resistant Protection (5 PD/5 ED) (15 Active Points); Unified Power (-1/4) - END=0
24    2)  Energy Damage Reduction, Resistant, 50% (30 Active Points); Unified Power (-1/4) - END=0
24    3)  Physical Damage Reduction, Resistant, 50% (30 Active Points); Unified Power (-1/4) - END=0
3    4)  Extra Limb (1) (5 Active Points); Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4), Unified Power (-1/4) - END=1
48    Stretching powers: Multipower, 60-point reserve,  (60 Active Points); all slots Unified Power (-1/4) - END=
2f    1)  Shape Shift  (Sight and Touch Groups, any shape), Costs END Only To Change Shape (+1/4) (29 Active Points); Retains Color Palet (-1/4), Unified Power (-1/4) - END=2
1f    2)  Flight 10m, x4 Noncombat (15 Active Points); Gliding (-1), Unified Power (-1/4) - END=0
7v    3)  Stretching 15m, x2 body dimension, x8 Noncombat, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (45 Active Points); Unified Power (-1/4) - END=0
2f    4)  Desolidification  (40 Active Points); Cannot Pass Through Solid Objects (-1/2), Unified Power (-1/4) - END=4
5v    5)  Coiled strength: +30 STR (30 Active Points); Unified Power (-1/4) - END=3
1f    6)  Long Legs: Running +15m (15m/30m total) (15 Active Points); Unified Power (-1/4) - END=1
2f    7)  Springy Legs: Leaping +20m (4m/24m forward, 2m/12m upward) (Accurate, x4 Noncombat) (20 Active Points); Unified Power (-1/4) - END=2

Powers Total: 131

Cost    Skills
9    +3 Strike, Grab, Dodge
3    Acrobatics 15-
3    Contortionist 15-
3    Sleight Of Hand 15-
3    Tactics 13-
    Customization  I (Basic Hero)
3    1)  Power 15-
3    2)  Breakfall 15-
3    3)  KS: Super Human World 13-
3    4)  Paramedics 13-
3    5)  Teamwork 15-
    Custimization III (Politician)
3    1)  Acting 12-
3    2)  Bribery 12-
3    3)  Bureaucratics 12-
3    4)  Charm 12-
3    5)  High Society 12-

Skills Total: 51

Cost    Perks
    Custimization (Head of State)
15    1)  Fringe Benefit:  Diplomatic Immunity, Head of State

Perks Total: 15

Value    Complications
10    DNPC:  Love Interest Frequently (Normal; Useful Noncombat Position or Skills)
15    Susceptibility:  Extreme Cold (0 degrees or below) 1d6 Drain damage per Turn (Common)
20    Psychological Complication:  Code Vs Killing (Common; Total)

Complications Points: 45

Base Points: 200
Experience: 0
Experience Unspent: 0
Total Character Cost: 400

Bendy.png

I'm way behind on the rules (Embarrassing to admit it) after years of no RPIng Champions so I will lead double checking the power structures to others (Though at first glance it looks good to me)

However...

I think if you're going for more of a people person (Though I realize the options are between 'Basic Hero' and 'Politician' ) I might either Swap INT and PRE around, or maybe just lower DMCV to 4 and use the extra points regained on PRE.

36 minutes ago, Hermit said:

I'm way behind on the rules (Embarrassing to admit it) after years of no RPIng Champions so I will lead double checking the power structures to others (Though at first glance it looks good to me)

However...

I think if you're going for more of a people person (Though I realize the options are between 'Basic Hero' and 'Politician' ) I might either Swap INT and PRE around, or maybe just lower DMCV to 4 and use the extra points regained on PRE.

I could see that particularly for the politician build. Most politicians are imbeciles but can be impressive when not having to think.

The people person build could also scale the Dex back to 23.  28 feels AWFULLY high for 400 points for the basic hero notion, actually.

Character NEEDS Regen.  Using Damage Reduction is fine, if expensive, but it means you're taking Body...and from a killing attack, a fair bit of it.

EVERYTHING on Unified Power means 1 drain *nukes* this character in a hurry.  An armor drain takes down the damage reduction and the entire VPP.  This gives me a vibe of daring the GM to act against me because it will be so severe.  

16 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

The people person build could also scale the Dex back to 23.  28 feels AWFULLY high for 400 points for the basic hero notion, actually.

Character NEEDS Regen.  Using Damage Reduction is fine, if expensive, but it means you're taking Body...and from a killing attack, a fair bit of it.

EVERYTHING on Unified Power means 1 drain *nukes* this character in a hurry.  An armor drain takes down the damage reduction and the entire VPP.  This gives me a vibe of daring the GM to act against me because it will be so severe.  

Good thinking on the Dex and Regen, not so sure I agree with the idea of it nukes the whole character.  Yes every power gets drained, but unless you have a vindictive GM this is a general weaking instead of a giant middle finger type of thing

4 minutes ago, JmOz said:

Good thinking on the Dex and Regen, not so sure I agree with the idea of it nukes the whole character.  Yes every power gets drained, but unless you have a vindictive GM this is a general weaking instead of a giant middle finger type of thing

You're shaving about 35 points off directly.  At 400, doesn't that call for a response?  

3 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

You're shaving about 35 points off directly.  At 400, doesn't that call for a response?  

Defiantly, with either less severely or frequency than the Power armor guy who has everything on OIF.  Especially considering cold based environments cause drain damage as well.  I guess the way you said it made me feel like a GM was being malicious instead of trying to craft a story with reasonable expectations.  At -1/4 I would expect it to affect the character about 1/2 as often as the OIF battle suit dude goes without his suit (or more often but partial affects) 

The power armor guy is trying to claim a near-blanket -1/2.  He'll get it worse.

No, I don't like blanket limitations...and I'll grant, the MP bugs me here, as it totally feels like nothing but points shaving *to me*.  That's definitely coloring my opinions.  I'm also entirely willing to say it could be nothing but stylistic preference, which is what held me back from saying anything before.  

Putting that part aside...what's the intent here?  This guy is a seriously fancy 'stretcher' with the desolid and the shape shift...that's a big ol passel of stretcher tricks.  So, this feels like a funky form of brawler, but then the variants feel like they're going a completely different direction.....

Oh...head of state variant is kinda like...huh?  but even more...no wealth perk?  Are these perks replacing all the skills?  This one's more than a little off the wall to me.  As you say, it's a rough sheet, but I'd just ditch this one.

Last:  you list investigator;  the gray version of that includes extensive B&E.  So, security systems and lockpicking at least.  The power set works fairly well for that.  Doesn't have to be illegal per se...but I love Drew Hayes' Super Powereds and the Subtlety heroes, where supers can pose enough of a threat that sometimes borderline ethical actions can be justified.

Ok, so the basic idea is to make some fairly generic characters as "here you go" or "Starting points".  Avoiding the more than a little complicated builds I lean towards. 

The "Customizations"  especially are intended to be swapped out.  I really did think of going with a wealth option, but as I thought about the various royal heroes they actually don't seem to have the wealth perk, even though their nation might be wealthy they them selves don't seem to be (Thinking Black Panther, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Namor, etc...)

As for the multipower the idea is full body manipulation things, so gliding is the parachute/kite/hang glider thing, while the desolid is the slipping under the door or making holes to let things pass through....the MP (which version 2 has decreased) represents how much body they have to use

Overall, I like.

Suggestions:

1. Drop the DMCV to 3.  Nearly any mentalist is going to have at least a 7-8 OMCV (counting levels), so the 5 DMCV isn't doing hardly anything for you, and you can use the points elsewhere.  (Heck, you could go with some Mental Defense - call it Elastic Mind ;) )
  2. I'd drop either the Accurate or the 4x Noncombat on the Leaping (most likely the Accurate) - that way, all three movement powers are 15 points, which makes it easier to plug-and-play in the Multipower.
  3. I'd change the CSLs to Strike / Grab / Throw.  If he's looking to avoid damage, he'd be better off going Desolid than a Dodge, and a CSL on Throw allows him to, say, better sling a manhole cover at an opponent at range.  (Though admittedly his Stretching does give him some ability to attack at a bit of range.)
  4. With the 3 CSLs helping him hit, I'd personally go with 7 OCV, 9 DCV. 
  5. I second the suggestion to drop DEX a bit and buy some Regeneration.  It doesn't need to be BODY per Turn, maybe 1 per Hour.  Just something to help him bounce back from lethal damage.  (Get it - bounce back?  I slay me.)
  6. If you can find the points, you might consider a Multipower slot for Reflection (60 active points), At Any Target, Only vs. physical projectiles (-1/2).  As a fixed slot, that's only 3 points.  If doing this, you might want to make those CSLs as Strike / Grab / Block.

A lot depends on standards for the game (or your generic builds).  Here's what I see:

- very fast (would a 23 DEX and 5 SPD be more typical?)

- limited defense - a 12 DC Blast gets 16 STUN past defenses (2 hit KO; 10 DC gets 12 so 3 hits); a 12 DC KA means 4 BOD and 9 STUN (10 DC is a BOD and a bit of STUN)

- attack caps at 10d6 (+30 STR); not sure if you are aiming for a 10 DC or 12 DC campaign feel

- The picture shows the classic Hammer-Hand, but it's not in the power suite

- Regen or BOD healing "Pull yourself together" MP slot could address the potential for BOD damage

- Although I love Damage Reduction, the same points on rDEF would get 35/35 Defenses, 30 rDEF (probably way too high) so it is a point sink - maybe a bit more defense and pop a Dam Red option in the MP for total defense

He cries out for a VPP, but that's true of many characters, a very complex build (so no way for this purpose) and probably better grown into with XP (when he can convert the MP; likely when he can afford a closer to Cosmic option as he should not need a full phase to swap, even if he has the skill roll).

For presentation, I'd probably try to provide  simple map for the MP, like "he can assign 60 (or 12) points at a time.  Gliding costs 15 (or 3), extra STR costs 5 (or 1) per +5 STR, etc."  I think increments of 5 AP = 1 "MultiPoint" may reduce math anxiety and make it easier for a rookie player.

Overall, I really like the "customization options" as choices for all the basic heroes - so you make each suite 15 points, and leave either 15 or 30 points free on each character for things that are not central to the archetype.  Now anyone can be a politician, charmer, investigator, scientist, wealthy, head of state, etc. character - customization options are separated from the archetype - and you can suggest appropriate choices for each archetype.

That would fit well with a "campaign norms"" discussion of expected DEX, SPD, movement, DCs, defenses crossing these builds.  Maybe it's on your site already.

Current version, still WIP

Bendy
Generic Hero

15    STR    5    12- / 18-    HTH Damage 3d6/9d6  END [1/4]
23    DEX    26    14-
20    CON    10    13-
13    EGO    3    12-
18    PRE    8    13-    PRE Attack: 3 1/2d6
8    OCV    25
8    DCV    25
3    OMCV    0
3    DMCV    0
6    SPD    40    Phases:  2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12
5    PD    3    5/25 PD (0/20 rPD)
5    ED    3    5/25 ED (0/20 rED)
15    REC    1
45    END    5
15    BODY    5    
40    STUN    10

RUNNING    0    12m/25m,/24m/50m    END [1/2]
LEAPING    0    4m/14m    4m/14m forward, 2m/7m upward
FLIGHT        10m/40m

Characteristics Total: 177

Cost    Powers

48    1)  Resistant Protection (20 PD/20 ED) (60 Active Points); Unified Power (-1/4) - END=0
15    2)  Bounce Back...: Regeneration (1 BODY per Minute), Can Heal Limbs (19 Active Points); Unified Power (-1/4) - END=0
8    3)  ...From anything: +10 REC (10 Active Points); Unified Power (-1/4) - END=

36    Stretching powers: Multipower, 45-point reserve,  (45 Active Points); all slots Unified Power (-1/4) - END=
1f    1)  A helpful hand (or two, or three, or...): Extra Limb (1) (5 Active Points); Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4), Unified Power (-1/4) - END=1
3f    2)  I'm Rubber, Your glue....: Reflection (65 Active Points' worth) (44 Active Points); Only Works Against Very Common attacks Physical (-1/4), Unified Power (-1/4) - END=4
2f    3)  Form of a ...: Shape Shift  (Sight and Touch Groups, any shape), Costs END Only To Change Shape (+1/4) (29 Active Points); Retains Color Palet (-1/4), Unified Power (-1/4) - END=2
2f    4)  Fit through cracks / (NEED A NAME): Desolidification  (40 Active Points); Cannot Pass Through Solid Objects (-1/2), Unified Power (-1/4) - END=4
7v    5)  Long Reach of the law: Stretching 20m, x2 body dimension, x4 Noncombat, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (45 Active Points); Unified Power (-1/4) - END=0
5v    6)  Stretching Tricks: +30 STR (30 Active Points); Unified Power (-1/4) - END=3
1f    7)  I'm a parachute: Flight 10m, x4 Noncombat (15 Active Points); Gliding (-1), Unified Power (-1/4) - END=0
1f   😎  Long Legs: Running +13m (12m/25m total) (13 Active Points); Unified Power (-1/4) - END=1
1f    9)  Springy Legs: Leaping +10m (4m/14m forward, 2m/7m upward) (Accurate, x4 Noncombat) (15 Active Points); Unified Power (-1/4) - END=1

Powers Total: 130

Cost    Martial Arts
4    Martial Block:  1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +2 DCV, Block, Abort
3    Martial Grab:  1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, -1 DCV, Grab Two Limbs, 25 STR  / 55 STR for holding on
5    Offensive Strike:  1/2 Phase, -2 OCV, +1 DCV, 7d6 / 13d6 Strike

Martial Arts Total: 12

Cost    Skills
9    +3 Stretch Fu
3    Acrobatics 14-
3    Contortionist 14-
3    Sleight Of Hand 14-
3    Tactics 13-
3    1)  Power 14-
3    2)  Breakfall 14-
3    4)  Paramedics 13-
3    5)  Teamwork 14-
    Customization  iI (Investigator)
3    1)  +1 Bueraucratics. Deduction. Streetwise
3    2)  Criminology 13-
3    3)  Deduction 13-
3    4)  Forensic Medicine 13-
3    5)  Streetwise 13-
    Customization III (Politician)
3    1)  Acting 13-
3    2)  Bribery 13-
3    3)  Bureaucratics 13-
3    4)  Charm 13-
3    5)  High Society 13-

Skills Total: 66

Cost    Perks
    Customization (Head of State)

Value    Complications
10    DNPC:  Love Interest Frequently (Normal; Useful Noncombat Position or Skills)
15    Susceptibility:  Extreme Cold (0 degrees or below) 1d6 Drain damage per Turn (Common)
30    Vulnerability:  2 x STUN Fire (Very Common)

Complications Points: 75

Base Points: 400

Getting closer (I think I am within a sliver of being done)

Bendy
Generic Hero

15    STR    5    12- / 18-    HTH Damage 3d6/9d6  END [1/4]
23    DEX    26    14-
25    CON    15    14-
13    EGO    3    12-
18    PRE    8    13-    PRE Attack: 3 1/2d6

6    OCV    15
6    DCV    15
3    OMCV    0
3    DMCV    0
5    SPD    30    Phases:  3, 5, 8, 10, 12
5    PD    3    5/30 PD (0/25 rPD)
5    ED    3    5/30 ED (0/25 rED)

20    REC    1
45    END    5
15    BODY    5    
40    STUN    10

RUNNING    0    12m/25m,/24m/50m    END [1/2]
LEAPING    0    4m/14m    4m/14m forward, 2m/7m upward
FLIGHT        10m/40m

Characteristics Total: 152

Cost    Powers
60    1)  Rubber Body: Resistant Protection (25 PD/25 ED) (75 Active Points); Unified Power (-1/4) - END=0
15    2)  Bounce Back...: Regeneration (1 BODY per Minute), Can Heal Limbs (19 Active Points); Unified Power (-1/4) - END=0
12    3)  ...From anything: +15 REC (15 Active Points); Unified Power (-1/4) - END=
3    4)  More Hands...: Extra Limb (1) (5 Active Points); Nonpersistent (-1/4), Unified Power (-1/4) - END=0
7    5)  ...Make light work: +2 with all Agility Skills (12 Active Points); Costs Endurance (-1/2), Unified Power (-1/4) - END=1

36    Stretching powers: Multipower, 45-point reserve,  (45 Active Points); all slots Unified Power (-1/4) - END=
3f    1)  I'm Rubber, Your glue....: Reflection (60 Active Points' worth) (40 Active Points); Only Works Against Very Common attacks Physical (-1/4), Unified Power (-1/4) - END=4
2f    2)  Form of a ...: Shape Shift  (Sight and Touch Groups, any shape), Costs END Only To Change Shape (+1/4) (29 Active Points); Retains Color Palet (-1/4), Unified Power (-1/4) - END=2
2f    3)  Fit through cracks / (NEED A NAME): Desolidification  (40 Active Points); Cannot Pass Through Solid Objects (-1/2), Unified Power (-1/4) - END=4
5v    4)  Long Reach of the law: Stretching 20m, x2 body dimension, x4 Noncombat (30 Active Points); Unified Power (-1/4) - END=3
5v    5)  Stretching Tricks: +30 STR (30 Active Points); Unified Power (-1/4) - END=3
1f    6)  I'm a parachute: Flight 10m, x4 Noncombat (15 Active Points); Gliding (-1), Unified Power (-1/4) - END=0
1f    7)  Long Legs: Running +13m (12m/25m total) (13 Active Points); Unified Power (-1/4) - END=1
1f   😎  Springy Legs: Leaping +10m (4m/14m forward, 2m/7m upward) (Accurate, x4 Noncombat) (15 Active Points); Unified Power (-1/4) - END=1

Powers Total: 153

Cost    Martial Arts
3    Wrap Around: Martial Grab:  1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, -1 DCV, Grab Two Limbs, 25 STR  / 55 STR for holding on
4    Big Fists: Martial Strike:  1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +2 DCV, 5d6 / 11d6 Strike
4    Rubber Body: Martial Block:  1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +2 DCV, Block, Abort

Martial Arts Total: 11

Cost    Skills
12    +4 Stretch Fu
3    Acrobatics 14-
3    Contortionist 14-
3    Sleight Of Hand 14-
3    Tactics 13-
3    1)  Power 14-
3    2)  Breakfall 14-
3    4)  Paramedics 13-
3    5)  Teamwork 14-
    Customization  iI (Investigator)
3    1)  +1 Bueraucratics. Deduction. Streetwise
3    2)  Criminology 13-
3    3)  Deduction 13-
3    4)  Forensic Medicine 13-
3    5)  Streetwise 13-
    Customization III (Politician)
3    1)  Acting 13-
3    2)  Bribery 13-
3    3)  Bureaucratics 13-
3    4)  Charm 13-
3    5)  High Society 13-

Skills Total: 69

Cost    Perks
    Customization (Head of State)

Value    Complications
30    Vulnerability:  2 x STUN Fire (Very Common)

Complications Points: 75

Base Points: 400

2 minutes ago, BoloOfEarth said:

I like the "Stretch Fu" martial arts.

It should be "I'm Rubber, You're Glue".

For the Desolid, how about "Oozin' on Through"?

I like Oozin' on through...I wanted to include a second name to represent using the power to let items go through him (the big hole in the chest type of thing)...but Oozin might work for both

1 hour ago, JmOz said:

I like Oozin' on through...I wanted to include a second name to represent using the power to let items go through him (the big hole in the chest type of thing)...but Oozin might work for both

One that could work both ways is "Hey, There's A Hole!"  But give my players' twisted minds, I'd shudder to think the comments that would bring.

He's very defense-oriented now, combining 30 defenses with high REC.  But two common SFX can take him out pretty easily, so he'll want his teammates to watch out for him there.  I'd almost be inclined to ditch the Martial Strike in favour of a Trip or similar maneuver and leave him at 9d6 damage (I guess a takedown would be 10d6) - keep his damage at/below average for the team, but with a lot of ways to support his teammates by tripping or grappling opponents, or just soaking up damage.

9 minutes ago, Hugh Neilson said:

He's very defense-oriented now, combining 30 defenses with high REC.  But two common SFX can take him out pretty easily, so he'll want his teammates to watch out for him there.  I'd almost be inclined to ditch the Martial Strike in favour of a Trip or similar maneuver and leave him at 9d6 damage (I guess a takedown would be 10d6) - keep his damage at/below average for the team, but with a lot of ways to support his teammates by tripping or grappling opponents, or just soaking up damage.

I agree that he is a high defense character, but defiantly think of this archetype as having high defense (even higher than Bricks), this was one of the reasons I originally went with Damage reduction as it becomes more efficient the higher the damage done is.  I will consider the changing martial strike into a "Target Fall" maneuver.