Human Torch

Sicarius

I see.  Thanks.

And of course, I was tempted to start googling once I had a name.

That was a mistake. Are comic book artists hard to find or something?  That guy was-- -well, it's all better than I could do, so I'm not going to say "terrible," but I _am_ going to say "subpar" compared to other stuff I've seen that came straight from comics.

Though he does seem to be single-handedly responsible for that 90's "brood until one eye glows!" nonsense....

10 hours ago, Duke Bushido said:

I see.  Thanks.

And of course, I was tempted to start googling once I had a name.

That was a mistake. Are comic book artists hard to find or something?  That guy was-- -well, it's all better than I could do, so I'm not going to say "terrible," but I _am_ going to say "subpar" compared to other stuff I've seen that came straight from comics.

Though he does seem to be single-handedly responsible for that 90's "brood until one eye glows!" nonsense....

Some things are better left undone. This wouldn't even work for me with the Hulk. 

That is an amazing picture, art-wise.

And look at it critically:  its very, _very_ simple line art.  Seriously: the faces are all little more than dashes, but you dont nitice it at the "distance" implied by the picture.  What makes it so amazing is that the artist had a very clear understanding of anatomy and proportion, _and_ what a body actually does when its making a given movement, and even how to exaggerate that posture, implying great effort or force or speed- without over-selling and making it a characature of what he is representing. 

In short, it is mechanically perfect, simple and clean, by an artist who knew exactly how a body worked under tension and at rest.

I have to point this out, because from what you guys and Google tell me, that Captain America up there was at one point the most popular comic art in the industry.

So after pointing out exaclty why that second picture is so amazing, I have to wonder just how many, of the folks that have come and gone on the board who have given me endless grief and 'low brow' comments about my absolute love of Mark Williams' work were gorging themselves on the cubist horrors of that guy up above?

Williams had complete understanding of anatomy, proportion, and clean, crisp line work.  If he had managed to live long enough to master motion and action poses- and been willing to do the slightly off-putting (to me) comic book tradition of making everyone seven heads high, he'd have been amazing.

If only he had lived long enough.

But in the end, that's all of us, I suppose.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, HeroGM said:

Thread drift. 

I always thought this was an interesting example of Multiform. Taken from John Byrne's Trio.

The character (Rock, as in Rock, Paper, Scissors) feels pain when he switched back and forth 

from his hero form.

snapshot.jpg

Two things:

First, never, _ever_ tell me where that naked guy was hiding that fat wad of cash.

EVER!

Second:

if we're going to keep bumping this thread, can we go ahead and get it to the next page?  I don't know about you guys, but for me this page opens dead onto that picture of Captain Bender up there with his chest panel door swinging open....

50 minutes ago, Duke Bushido said:

Second:

if we're going to keep bumping this thread, can we go ahead and get it to the next page?  I don't know about you guys, but for me this page opens dead onto that picture of Captain Bender up there with his chest panel door swinging open....

I

will

happily

make

a

sizable

contribution

to

that

cause.

:D

2 hours ago, Duke Bushido said:

Two things:

First, never, _ever_ tell me where that naked guy was hiding that fat wad of cash.

EVER!

Second:

No wonder my momma called it 'filthy money'

🤮

28 minutes ago, HeroGM said:

My first experience with him was Infinity Inc. and he didn't seem that bad. The Marvel years though.....

True, I actually really enjoyed the early Hawk & Dove stuff he did (but more for the story than the art).  However, the art was not bad at the time...

See?  that's what I'm talking about!  Clean, crisp lines, real anatomy (except for the seven and eight heads tall stuff.  I know-- that's apparently comic book tradition, but it gives me this Uncanny Valley / Barbie doll vibe.... 

Still, it's _miles_-- hundred and _hundreds_ of miles-- ahead of that atrocity up above.

(and thanks, guys.  You're the greatest!  :)  )