Shaving/hair removal in the future?

Ragitsu

Below are some futuristic methods of grooming that I've come up with. I'd love to hear any other sufficiently advanced suggestions (for setting flavor, if nothing else), if you have them.

* Telekinesis: yank the hair out. Hopefully, some means of momentarily ceasing surface nerve transmissions is used in tandem with this procedure, otherwise...ouch.

* Teleportation: relocate the hair.
* Disintegration: vaporize the hair.
* Temporal manipulation: reverse the age of the hair until it disappears into nothingness.
* Microbots/nanomachines: machines barely visible or entirely invisible to the naked eye get to work. Nanomachines can even rest near the root and continuously consume hair growth.
* Targeted cell programming: through controlled apoptosis (i.e., cell suicide), hair never forms to begin with and/or existing hair slowly falls out without being replaced. Cellular function can be revitalized or new cells can be introduced if and when necessary.
* Bioengineered organisms: deliberately created critters feed on hair like miniature grazing sheep. These creations may even secrete - as a waste byproduct - a topical anesthetic that helps to mitigate any associated pain.
* A chemically complex solvent that dissolves hair and nothing else.
* A robot with numerous slender pinching digits: hair is rapidly extirpated the old-fashioned way...but in an impressively quick fashion.
* An actual "laser razor".

6 hours ago, archer said:

The easiest is a depilatory cream like Nair which not only removes the hair but also stops hair from growing in the future for some number of months.

That solution already exists, however; I'm trying to come up with ultra-tech solutions to a low-tech problem :yes:. Genetic engineering can potentially sidestep the issue entirely, but not every culture necessarily shares the same taboos (or lack thereof) on modifying genes...especially for "frivolous" uses.

1 hour ago, Ragitsu said:

That solution already exists, however; I'm trying to come up with ultra-tech solutions to a low-tech problem :yes:. Genetic engineering can potentially sidestep the issue entirely, but not every culture necessarily shares the same taboos (or lack thereof) on modifying genes...especially for "frivolous" uses.

A quantum portal that the hirsute individual can walk through, passing them to another universe but leaving the undesired hair behind.  

(Yes, it's Extradimensional Movement, to "the dimension where a particular patch of hair is gone.")

A cream, injection or possibly even a pill--

something that works systemically to simply turn off the follicles.  Re-dose every X amount of time to stay hairless; follicles begin to slowly reactivate after you stop taking the medicine.

Get really technical, and the compound affects pubic hair without affecting terminal or vellus hair, though career spacers may prefer (or may even be required) to be completely hairless to reduce the workload on the filtering systems.

Anyway, at least have a concoction that doesn't affect terminal hair, if only because not every player is envisioning a bald character.

20 minutes ago, Duke Bushido said:

A cream, injection or possibly even a pill--

something that works systemically to simply turn off the follicles.  Re-dose every X amount of time to stay hairless; follicles begin to slowly reactivate after you stop taking the medicine.

Get really technical, and the compound affects pubic hair without affecting terminal or vellus hair, though career spacers may prefer (or may even be required) to be completely hairless to reduce the workload on the filtering systems.

Anyway, at least have a concoction that doesn't affect terminal hair, if only because not every player is envisioning a bald character.

I really like the idea of a cream which can be applied anywhere.

Make for hilarious practical jokes.

3 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

One method I've read/seen in a few sci-fi stories is ultrasound, or even more exotic vibratory energies, to pulverize hair follicles down to their roots. This doesn't seem like a great stretch -- medicine already uses targeted sound bursts for things like breaking up internal calcifications.

I had thought of pinpoint vibrations, but decided not to say anything. Anyhow, kudos: one measure of a man is his willingness to participate in unnecessary conversations on esoteric subjects.

2 hours ago, Chris Goodwin said:

A quantum portal that the hirsute individual can walk through, passing them to another universe but leaving the undesired hair behind.  

(Yes, it's Extradimensional Movement, to "the dimension where a particular patch of hair is gone.")

This is a very specialized application of Clarkeian technology. I like it! Theoretically, you could adjust this technology for other types of grooming.

• 2 weeks later...

Just remember that you don't want to lose ALL your hair. Losing eyebrows can be a pain in the neck in warm environments since you no longer have them channelling sweat away from the eyes, and losing eyelashes - which can happen in some forms of baldness - is actively bad for your eyes, as they prevent most small particle intrusion into the eye socket.

4 hours ago, Sundog said:

Losing eyebrows

Terminal hair.  So long as your solution doesn't affect terminal hair, you'll keep your eyebrows.

4 hours ago, Sundog said:

and losing eyelashes -

Also terminal hair.

Regarding the "Defending the eyes" function:  I'm not saying they don't.  I _am_ saying that the only thing I've ever gotten in my eyes is eyelashes.   😕

2 hours ago, tkdguy said:

long, luxurious beards.

Pubic hair.

2 hours ago, tkdguy said:

Even the women and children. :winkgrin: 

Dwarf hair.