Jump to content

Creating or fixing roads


eepjr24
 Share

Recommended Posts

I skimmed through this real quick, so I hope I am not repeating details, but don't forget you can add "Cumulative" to a Transform effect. This allows you to make the transformation take more time, and it lowers the cost (and hopefully other requirements as well). It should allow simple "road engineer wizards" to work in teams over a large stretch of land, turning dirt, grass, broken land, into a flat paved road. If you add a small-scale Mega-Scale effect (1m = 100m), this could go REALLY FAST. And if the cost is reduced with Cumulative it might turn out to be more effective this way.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, dmjalund said:

transform requires there be a way to reverse the change. choose carefully

Just being in Southern PA with all its sink holes would be enough. 😂
 

The joke in this State is that the drinks drive straight and the sober swerve-to avoid all the pot holes. 😁

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Ninja-Bear said:

Just being in Southern PA with all its sink holes would be enough. 😂
 

The joke in this State is that the drinks drive straight and the sober swerve-to avoid all the pot holes. 😁

PennDOT. They may be the hardest working road crew in the 48, but no one would know it. Sinkholes are like their own hydra. Fill in one, and two more take its place.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Penn has a good number sink holes, Florida has more though. Just more of our state is susceptible and we have more ground water to wear away the ground. 

 

https://strangesounds.org/2019/11/us-sinkhole-map-these-maps-show-that-around-40-of-the-u-s-lies-in-areas-prone-to-sinkholes.html

 

9 hours ago, dmjalund said:

transform requires there be a way to reverse the change. choose carefully

Generally for changes like this I chose allowing wear and tear and nature to reverse the transform. Without maintenance the carts, horses and local flora will render the road unusable. In the Grimoire this is sometimes written as "Heals back through any natural means that would reverse XXX".

 

13 hours ago, MrKinister said:

I skimmed through this real quick, so I hope I am not repeating details, but don't forget you can add "Cumulative" to a Transform effect. This allows you to make the transformation take more time, and it lowers the cost (and hopefully other requirements as well). It should allow simple "road engineer wizards" to work in teams over a large stretch of land, turning dirt, grass, broken land, into a flat paved road. If you add a small-scale Mega-Scale effect (1m = 100m), this could go REALLY FAST. And if the cost is reduced with Cumulative it might turn out to be more effective this way.

Certainly those applications are possible. And when I move over to one of the more "advanced" continents, those applications may be used, but we are on the frontier here, they don't get the top caliber utility wizards and your average town is not going to have more than a couple of earth utility mages anyway. Megascale has restrictions (END and LTE cost) that magic it less common in this magic system for specifically these types of reasons. 😃

 

- E

Edited by eepjr24
formatting for merged replies
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Thia Halmades said:

PennDOT. They may be the hardest working road crew in the 48, but no one would know it. Sinkholes are like their own hydra. Fill in one, and two more take its place.

Or you live in Palmyra and the Sinkhole just returns. The bar attached to the bowling alley is called the Sinkhole Saloon. For good reason. 😁

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...