What is a Ranged Strike?

eepjr24

Question

References below, emphasis mine.

6e1, pg 70 

If a character buys a 2-point CSL with Strike, he must define the type of Strike — Punch, Sword Slash, or whatever. He cannot apply the Level to any type of Strike (but at the GM’s option, a character could buy 3-point CSLs that apply to all HTH Strikes, or all Ranged Strikes).

6e2, pg 80

This is the basic attack Maneuver. It includes attacks such as punches, kicks, elbow smashes, headbutts, attacks with weapons, firing a gun or a longbow, and just about any other way a character can hit another character. The basic OCV, DCV, and damage modifiers are +0, but the OCV modifier and the damage may vary by weapon type.

So what are things that are not a ranged strike? Anything HTH, obviously. Ranged Martial arts not based on Strike, likely. Ranged Maneuvers like Hip Shot, Ranged Disarm and Snap Shot, probably not?

Not sure about the effect of Set and Brace with this type of CSL.

I am guessing / hoping that it's limited to only damaging effects like KA, TK, Blast, Mental Blast? Or would it apply to all Attack Powers (6e1, 144)?

Then there is this to confuse things further for me:

6e2, 83

OTHER ATTACKS
Characters use this Maneuver when making any other attack not listed, including using Attack Powers such as Drain, Blast, Entangle, Flash, or other Powers that require an Attack Roll. To attack, the character should just make a normal Attack Roll, modified by any particular modifiers for the Power, Skill Levels used, or applicable Combat Modifiers.

They call out Blast here specifically.

Help?

1 answer to this question

It's really up to the GM what kind of ranged attack meets the definition of "ranged Strike".  A HTH Strike can be a punch, kick, knee strike, and so on; it can be based on a character's STR alone, or STR plus Hand-to-hand Attack, or STR plus Martial Arts DCs.  All of the Martial Arts maneuvers with "Strike" in the name (Defensive Strike, Killing Strike, Martial Strike, Nerve Strike, Offensive Strike) all qualify as HTH Strikes, as do melee weapon attacks.  You're specifically asking about ranged Strikes, though.  Called out in the definition that you quoted are guns and longbows.  Those definitely count as ranged Strikes.  But what else might? 

The key here is that 2-point Combat Skill Levels with a particular Strike (punches, or broadswords, or any particular other type of Strike) apply to OCV only, so the 3-point levels with "all HTH Strikes" or "all Ranged Strikes" should also apply to OCV only.  Keeping that in mind, I'm going to fall back on letting the GM decide exactly which kinds of ranged attacks fall into the definition, based on the trio of common sense, dramatic sense, and special effects.  

Also note that when Steve Long is able to return and answer rules questions, his response supersedes mine.  :)