RIP: Dawn Wells

Greywind

If there's one thing Mary Anne would probably no longer want anything to do with, it's coconuts.

When I was in high school, a group came to my thater class to talk about Commedia dell'arte, the tradtional Italian form of stage comedy, and cited Gilligan's Island as a great modern example. (This was in 1979, when the show was widely syndicated). Since Dell'Arte characters were types as opposed ot individuals, you wopuld place them in any situation and get funny scenes of "man in his madness". the cast of Gilligan's Island represented broad types, with the various foibles associated with their types. 

On 1/1/2021 at 2:00 AM, Lord Liaden said:

As long as I can remember, it's been one of the great debates among nerd fantasies: If you could pick one, would you choose Ginger, or Mary Ann? I was always Team Mary Ann. :love:

(Now I'll wait for the comments purporting to come from Team Lovey Howell.) :rolleyes:

I prefer gingers in general. Just not that Ginger.

Would have liked the actress better if she'd consented to do the reunion shows or anything else related to the show afterwards. 

That's the entire point of acting: to portray something that you are not in real life.

There are some actors who have never figured this out though. Kristen Stewart, for example, is basically Kristen Stewart and everything she's ever been in.

22 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

I always try to mentally separate the actors from the characters they play. Some of the most beloved fictional characters have been played by real-life fools and SOBs.

Ditto.

Same with authors and their works.

One is not the other.   Jackasses can be brilliantly creative, and the most dynamic, charming, energetic people can be downright simple-minded.

9 hours ago, dmjalund said:

She was at a convention photo op. I had her take a picture with my plushie wombats.

spacer.png

Oh my God!

She was absolutely adorable her entire life!

1 hour ago, Duke Bushido said:

Ditto.

Same with authors and their works.

One is not the other.   Jackasses can be brilliantly creative, and the most dynamic, charming, energetic people can be downright simple-minded.

Musicians and their work as well.  Randy Newman has gotten into a lot of trouble over songs he recorded in another's voice.  Short People and Rednecks both spring to mind.