End

steph

Question for GM. In your session who track the end ? The players or you ?
I never track the end in ten years exeption for spell caster. I think i am scared this is gonna slow things around the table. What do you think ?

sorry for the english 

Steph

Most of my,groups have been,playing for years.

My,youth group is fairly,new, though.

I tracked it for them until they more or less,inderstood it, but they were being so careful and meticulous that it qas dragging the game a bit.

I posted this a while back, but cant find it now, but heres the vervlbal:

Quite by accident I found some thin metal rulers about 18 inches long.  They had a slit up the center, and one side was graduated into cm and mm.

I bought six of those and some brass brads and made little sliders.  Not only did it make teackinf EanD kind of amusinf for them (1 END was 1 mm ), I could tell at a glance roughly where everyone was at on their END.

Granted, it only tracked 45 END, but with the characters in play and the scenarios at hand, it worked remarkably well.

And dont sweat language.  English is my first and only,language, but look what I just did to it.   :lol:

3 hours ago, steph said:

Question for GM. In your session who track the end ? The players or you ?
I never track the end in ten years exeption for spell caster. I think i am scared this is gonna slow things around the table. What do you think ?

sorry for the english 

Steph

Pretty much how I do it.

As for English, my wife says I butcher it. And as Duke, it’s my one and only language. 

Yeah, the more experienced the player, the more I dump the responsibility of tracking it on him.

Unless I suspect he's fudging the numbers.

I let it be known in strong language in advance that a player fudging numbers is unacceptable. If there's any fudging of numbers to be done, I as GM will do it.

The slider sounds like it worked fine if you can come up with something like that. In a VTT environment it should be pretty easy to display END cost for a power as it is used, allowing whoever is tracking it to see clearly what the cost is. With my non-Hero familiar players I used little cups (erm... clear jello shot cups) and plastic beads for END and STUN. They just put however many END they had in the cup and took them out as they used them. Very visually easy for them to see how close to exhausted they were. And STUN was the same, pretty much. When they recovered, they just put some END and STUN back in the cups. I let them pick colors but used different for STUN and END. 

- E

13 minutes ago, eepjr24 said:

The slider sounds like it worked fine if you can come up with something like that. In a VTT environment it should be pretty easy to display END cost for a power as it is used, allowing whoever is tracking it to see clearly what the cost is. With my non-Hero familiar players I used little cups (erm... clear jello shot cups) and plastic beads for END and STUN. They just put however many END they had in the cup and took them out as they used them. Very visually easy for them to see how close to exhausted they were. And STUN was the same, pretty much. When they recovered, they just put some END and STUN back in the cups. I let them pick colors but used different for STUN and END. 

- E

That's a good idea.

I tried counters one time but no cups.

That just made the cats want to come over and run/slide through everyone's counters to fling them all over the room.

Repeatedly.

1 hour ago, archer said:

That's a good idea.

I tried counters one time but no cups.

That just made the cats want to come over and run/slide through everyone's counters to fling them all over the room.

Repeatedly.

Very familiar with that phenomenon, the person I play WarMachine with had 2 cats and they loved playing godzilla.

I make the players track END because the GM already has too much to do. 

That said, during character creation I make the players figure out how much END they use each Turn on average (typically half move, attack, and possibly an active defense power).  Initially we did that to gauge how many Turns they could last before exhausting themselves so that they would be sure to have enough END to last through the average combat.  But now they often track END by Turn instead of by Phase, adjusting up if they used a high END ability one Phase or down if they just Dodged or something.  I am not sure that is always easier, but some find it simpler to deal with.

I've never understood the issue.  When I GM, if the player is new to the system, I or another player will help them.  But overall l let my players track their own.

I'll admit I preferred the original 1 END for 5 over the current 1 END for 10.  But tracking END isn't a difficult concept and it was one of the key factors that brought me to Hero in the first place. 

On 1/2/2021 at 10:50 AM, Duke Bushido said:

Most of my,groups have been,playing for years.

My,youth group is fairly,new, though.

I tracked it for them until they more or less,inderstood it, but they were being so careful and meticulous that it qas dragging the game a bit.

I posted this a while back, but cant find it now, but heres the vervlbal:

Quite by accident I found some thin metal rulers about 18 inches long.  They had a slit up the center, and one side was graduated into cm and mm.

I bought six of those and some brass brads and made little sliders.  Not only did it make teackinf EanD kind of amusinf for them (1 END was 1 mm ), I could tell at a glance roughly where everyone was at on their END.

Granted, it only tracked 45 END, but with the characters in play and the scenarios at hand, it worked remarkably well.

And dont sweat language.  English is my first and only,language, but look what I just did to it.   :lol:

I would love to see a photo of this contraption if you can manage it. 

When we played face-to-face for my new players I would use Word/Excel to make a bunch of square boxes to represent END, Stun & Body.  Then I would give the players that sheet + a plastic protector sheet.  They could use an erasable marker on the sheet to track everything.

Since we are playing VTT these days I just trust them to keep track of those things.

It depends on the game; a game that focuses largely on firearms and using cover intelligently, I tend to not care about it. Games that utilize powers heavily (where everyone is a spell caster in one way or another) then I tend to use 2d10 or similar handy counter.

And I’ve said this before, but it bears repeating: I only speak two languages. English, and bad English.

4 hours ago, Thia Halmades said:

And I’ve said this before, but it bears repeating: I only speak two languages. English, and bad English.

Hmmm... I speak three.

English, bad English and an invented language usually spoken under my breath in a not too complimentary fashion....

:whistle: