The Fox, costume Design

JmOz

14 minutes ago, Duke Bushido said:

I stand by my statement that it's far more important that _you_ are happy with the character's look than it is that anyone else is happy with it.

I only restate it as assurance that the next question is nothing more than a request for enlightenment:

Your comment "I have to keep with his IRL primary purpose (as a showman for gadgets)" has left me a bit confused:   while I _think_ you're talking about the belt-of-many-pouches that gadget guys are known for, I am curious to know if you see some sort of cape-gadget guy relationship.

Thanks.  :)

Glider cape, cloaking cape, defensive cape, .cape as weapon cape, that's off the top of my head...

Sweet!

Yes indeed!

I think _that's_ more in keeping with a fox, personally.  I love the headgear tweaks. the dark fox-like "points" of boots and gloves, ad the re-worked mask.

The shorter cape, with the full billows, looks _way_ less oppressive and far lighter; it doesn't give that "I'd really hate to sword fight with _that_ on me!" vibe (okay-- no one saw it because I caught it and fixed it, but my autocorrect just tried to convince me I meant to type "dwarf fight" instead.  Too funny not to share.  ;) ).

The re-worked headgear sends the same sense of character as the first one, but without that "re-purposed SWAT gear feel, and the little black edges on the "ears" of the mask?  Excellent tie in to the costume and the inspiration.

I love what you've done here, Sir.

(So, did you download Hero Designer while that was still an option?  Is that how you're able to still do this?)

24 minutes ago, Duke Bushido said:

(So, did you download Hero Designer while that was still an option?  Is that how you're able to still do this?)

I'm using chrome, and other than having to each time I load "allow" flash, it works fine for me (I think if you had flash installed before the changes...)

24 minutes ago, Duke Bushido said:

Sweet!

Yes indeed!

I think _that's_ more in keeping with a fox, personally.  I love the headgear tweaks. the dark fox-like "points" of boots and gloves, ad the re-worked mask.

The shorter cape, with the full billows, looks _way_ less oppressive and far lighter; it doesn't give that "I'd really hate to sword fight with _that_ on me!" vibe (okay-- no one saw it because I caught it and fixed it, but my autocorrect just tried to convince me I meant to type "dwarf fight" instead.  Too funny not to share.  ;) ).

The re-worked headgear sends the same sense of character as the first one, but without that "re-purposed SWAT gear feel, and the little black edges on the "ears" of the mask?  Excellent tie in to the costume and the inspiration.

I love what you've done here, Sir.

Thank you for the kind words.  I do like the reworked head gear and cape.  On the fence if I should go with the smaller white/grey stripe I used on the no cape version instead...  

6 hours ago, archer said:

I liked the red in the original cape and the jaw of the mask being the same color as the crown of the head.

If it isn't very time consuming, could you throw that combination up for us to look at?

Hard to be precise with colors, but something like this?

undo (21).png

2 hours ago, JmOz said:

The current idea is in the family portrate

I rather like the shade of red / brown you've got in that one.  I won't lie, I'm partial to the orange and want to make the chest piece white, but I can totally see why you wouldn't want to do that, _particularly_ if super-stealthy Batman or sneaky Phantom is part of the homage.  :D   But I do like the group-photo colors a bit more than the original you first presented:  Still more-or-less color-accurate, and still dark enough to play the sneaky stealth game.  Well done.  

2 hours ago, wcw43921 said:

Perhaps a shorter, over-the-shoulder cape would work.  You know, like the Musketeers or the original Captain Marvel wear.

spacer.pngspacer.png

Hope that helps.

I had made that exact suggestion, considering the sword aspect, but honestly, I think the lighter, billowy cape he has now is a solid compromise and still meets the potential for the cape gadgets he described.  Glider cape especially:  then he could be a Flying Fox!  Hmm...  what's the other name for those?  ;)

:D

In all seriousness, though: I like where you've gotten him, JmOz.

Makes me wonder, does The Fox have a generation villain? He should. 

Let's call him The Gargoyle. The first one was a master criminal who lucks in to a superweapon or super tech. He wields a sword (so he can fence with The Fox), a gun or two (quite normal ones), and a VVP which can only be changed in a lab (to explain the gadgets and weapons he uses in his crimes). He was active between around 1920s to 1948 or so. He was thought to have died many times, only to come back as a bad penny.

Gargoyle 2 is his son, who originally called himself "The Gargoyle's Ghost" (using a special belt which allows him to go through solid objects). Like the original Gargoyle, he also uses a sword and gadgets built by other people which he steals. He was active between 1950's to 1960's.

Gargoyle 3 is the son of Gargoyle 2, and he is basically more of a mastermind and master criminal as opposed to a gadget laden guy. He has a utility belt on equal par with The Fox. This one is the Fox's dark mirror. He was active between the late 70's to the 90's.

Gargoyle 4 is....someone. To the current Fox he is a bad name which keeps on coming up. He has yet to actually see him, and wonders if someone is just using his name.

What do you think?

2 hours ago, steriaca said:

Makes me wonder, does The Fox have a generation villain? He should. 

Let's call him The Gargoyle. The first one was a master criminal who lucks in to a superweapon or super tech. He wields a sword (so he can fence with The Fox), a gun or two (quite normal ones), and a VVP which can only be changed in a lab (to explain the gadgets and weapons he uses in his crimes). He was active between around 1920s to 1948 or so. He was thought to have died many times, only to come back as a bad penny.

Gargoyle 2 is his son, who originally called himself "The Gargoyle's Ghost" (using a special belt which allows him to go through solid objects). Like the original Gargoyle, he also uses a sword and gadgets built by other people which he steals. He was active between 1950's to 1960's.

Gargoyle 3 is the son of Gargoyle 2, and he is basically more of a mastermind and master criminal as opposed to a gadget laden guy. He has a utility belt on equal par with The Fox. This one is the Fox's dark mirror. He was active between the late 70's to the 90's.

Gargoyle 4 is....someone. To the current Fox he is a bad name which keeps on coming up. He has yet to actually see him, and wonders if someone is just using his name.

What do you think?

Can't use the name Gargoyle but love what you have done here...might steal big parts of it :)

Oh, it is.  I'm going to try to get one new project out a month.  The Fox is the glue that ties it together.  Basically everything is his files, so first will be the Star Knights, then will be the first part of his armory (Will cover about 15-20 belt gadgets, my idea on different types of Utility Belts, and a 2-3 costumes) .  I might include the Base and Computer as well, but not sure on that one yet, thinking they might be branched off to their own work, but the "Warehouse of Justice" might get in there...