Superdraft: The completely unasked for "I want to be a -" fantasy (?) draft

Hermit

The return of the superdraft! Why? I kind of miss it and I need a distraction from the politics

Welcome to the completely unasked for "I want to be a-" Fantasy (?) Draft! Starting Monday, January 11, Noon US EST ,  if we get at least a few people interested anyway. The basic theme is, as the pick descriptions will elaborate on, is the protagnoist hero you draft has ambitions to join a fictional organization or  institution for training and/or membership. It's a staple of Romantic Fantasy but, while I did put fantasy in the title, knowing that if I tell folks, metaphorically speaking,  they can have any color but blue, they'll want blue most of all even up to and including calling it azure or cerulean and saying it's not REALLY Blue... or maybe pout in text. Nobody needs that headache (or guilt)  SO.. yeah, if you prefer your sci fi or what not, you can do that instead.  Starting the 11th, each day until options run out, each participant makes their pick. Only the first pick is set in stone order wise (See below) the others can go in any order you like.

That said, here's the picks you'll be making if you play

The Organization/Institution: Be it an Elite fighting unit, a school of the arcane, a guild of thieves, or an order of knights , this the place/organization/etc your  Protagonist will want to join. Obviously it must be fictional, or at least highly fictionalized if based on a real group. This must be your first pick. This also covers location. Obviously if you pick 'The Round Table' then you've got the setting of Camelot (Though Camelot from which source is up to you)

The Protagonist /Applicant: Enter our hero, often in his or her teens, but any age is possible. For one reason or another, idealism, a desire for glory, a better life, control over some curse/gift,  or just plain survival, this protagonist finds him/herself racing eager to join up with some order, organization, magic school or what have have you. They are often not yet ready, but hope to get the training from that organization. Pick any character from fiction, they need not have any special supernatural powers or combat skills, after all, they're going to learn? The character need not be from the fantasy  genre, rather they might be translated to it. For example. if you want one of the Von Trap family from the Sound of Music to be protagonist, there's no reason you can't pick Louisa Von Trapp and plop her down ready for lessons at Hogwartz or whatever.

The Bestie/True Friend: This character, usually a peer, is the best friend and most boon companion of your protagonist. Again, almost any published fiction, TV show or movie is legit as a source and the character translates. You want your buddy to be Tom Sawyer as he and your protagonist learn from the faceless men? Sure let's go with that.

The Crush/Love interest: Just what it says on the tin. For added drama, he or she is probably too good for your hero. Or maybe they are lowborn or something and it tarnishes the hero to associate? For story purposes, they might come across as merely the 'object' of affection, but they have their own interests too. And the protagonist will often have to hustle in helping them with their own goals. Of course, they could be another peer who just appeals on a level beyond just friend.

The looming threat: Our hero has decided to join on just in time to make a difference. Something 'bad' is coming, or someone. Be it a warlord gathering a monstrous horde just outside the borders, a dark prophecy that will soon begin, or even the inevitable sinking of the land into the sea; there is something that casts a shadow (Figuratively mostly) over things. Implied in this selection are various agents or portents that will appear to rile things up or endanger folks on a smaller scale before the looming threat is done looming.

The Antagonist/Bad Guy: Oddly, this is NOT the looming threat. This character a major and usually in your face place of the hero's life. They could be a peer who is also trying to join whatever the hero is and doesn't appreciate competition. They could be a threat JUST outside school grounds or in the wrong part of town waiting. Might be an authority figure who has to think creatively to mess your hero over within the rules.  Their methods can be brutal as a club over the head, or as subtle as death by bureaucracy.

A mentor/instructor/old hand: Be it a powerful wizard teaching spell casting, a veteran of some Royal Guard, or a has been whose skills have faded but can teach a trick or two, this is a source of wisdom, knowledge, and perhaps even power for others including the protagonists. Special note... this mentor also adjusts to fit the setting. If you decide "The Dude" (aka the Abider) is a mentor at your Earthbending temple that you picked as your institution/organization, then boom... The Dude abides AND Earthbends.

3 Options: This can be other characters, other locations, objects of power, or a way to empower folks when the setting won't. 

(Edit: Special note on options, you may spend an option to reset the ages of any of your picks even if they never appeared in any official work at that age. If they DID appear in a flashback scene or whatever as a younger age, then the option isn't necessary for that particular character. For example, if you want James T. Kirk as a kid, well, at least in one movie he was)

Anyone interested? And, any questions?

EDIT: I should stress that all picks are exclusive. If you select Dick Grayson from DC comics to join the Musketeers, then all Dick Graysons are off limits for others as are all versions of the Musketeers etc.

4 minutes ago, Pariah said:

Welcome aboard, Tjack! 

I have a question, does the protagonist have to be a published character or can it be an original PC in an established universe, love interest, etc.?

CANCEL: I answered my own stupid question.

The List

Tjack

Academy of the S.H.I.E.L.D.  

The Organization/Institution: S.H.I.E.L.D Academy.(Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.- TV)

The Protagonist /Applicant:  Xander Harris — Buffy the Vampire Slayer  (TV)

The Bestie/True Friend: Connor Reilly  (Angel - TV)

The Crush/Love interest: Veronica Mars  (Veronica Mars - TV)

The looming threat:Rossum Inc./ Laurence Dominic   (Dollhouse —TV)

The Antagonist/Bad Guy:  Captain Hammer  (Dr. Horrible’s Sing a Long Blog—Web Series)

A mentor/instructor/old hand:   Dan Conner  (Roseanne —TV)
Option One:  Codes to the Containment Cells Worldwide.   (Cabin in the Woods — Movie)

Option Two: The Mother Box     (Justice League — Movie)

Option Three: The Design Schematics for the Titan Ark Ship     (Titan: AE — Movie)

Pariah

The Drakh Never Bothered Me Anyway

The Organization/Institution: Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters.

The Protagonist /Applicant:  Princess Elsa (Frozen)

The Bestie/True Friend: Carrie White (Stephen King)

The Crush/Love interest:  Wesley Crusher (ST NG)

The looming threatThe Drakh (Babylyon 5)

The Antagonist/Bad Guy: Malthus (from Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children)

A mentor/instructor/old hand: Number 5 (Umbrella Academy)
Option One: (Teammate):  Matilda Wormwood (Dahl)

Option Two: (Ally): Jacob Black (The Twilight Saga)

Option Three: (Helpful artifact): The Scepter of Light (Elena of Avalor)

Csyphrett

Ghostbusters Multidimensional

The Organization/Institution: Ghostbusters Inc

The Protagonist /Applicant: Elliot "Lucky" Taylor  (Creature Commandos) 

The Bestie/True Friend: Dilvish, the Damned  (Roger Zelazny?)

The Crush/Love interest: Aqua from Konosuba

The looming threat: Vigo the Carpathian and PKE slime control (Ghost Busters 2)

The Antagonist/Bad Guy: Severus Snape (Harry Potter)

A mentor/instructor/old hand: Cat's Eye Gomez (Simon Hawke books)
Option One:  Hidalgo trading company warehouse and its contents

Option Two: Monkey (Dexter's Labratory)

Option Three: John Thunstone (from Manly Wade Wellman books)

Psybolt

Beg, Borrow or Steal

The Organization/Institution: The Mockers (on the planet Midkemia) (Modern times)

The Protagonist /Applicant: Selina Kyle (Gotham)

The Bestie/True Friend:  Aladdin (Disney's Aladdin)

The Crush/Love interest: Remy LeBeau (X-Men)

The looming threat: The Brotherhood of the Beast (Dark Adventure Radio theatre)

The Antagonist/Bad Guy: Kulan Gath

A mentor/instructor/old hand:  Macavity the Mystery Cat (CATS)
Option One: The Black Cat (Marvel Comics)

Option Two:  Irene Adler

Option Three:  The Death Note (From  Death Note)

Lucius

The Organization/Institution: Knights of the Round Table

The Protagonist /Applicant: 

The Bestie/True Friend: 

The Crush/Love interest: 

The looming threat:

The Antagonist/Bad Guy:

A mentor/instructor/old hand: 
Option One:

Option Two:

Option Three:

Old Man

Revenge of the Jedi, or, The Cruel Tutelage of Arya Stark

The Organization/Institution: Jedi Academy

The Protagonist /Applicant:  Arya Stark (Game of Thrones)

The Bestie/True Friend: Eleven (Stranger Things)

The Crush/Love interest:  Prince Caspian (Chronicles of Narnia)

The looming threat:Dementors (Harry Potter)

The Antagonist/Bad Guy: Regina George (Mean Girls)

A mentor/instructor/old hand: Juan Sánchez-Villalobos Ramírez (Highlander)
Option One:  Mentor #2: Spock (Star Trek)

Option Two:Mentor #3: Uncle Iroh (Avatar)

Option Three: Mentor #4: Yennefer of Vengerberg (The Witcher)

Pattern Ghost

Liberty Patrol

The Organization/Institution: Library of the Neitherlands (The Magicians TV Series, Netflix)

The Protagonist /Applicant:  Niles Caulder, AKA The Chief (Doom Patrol TV Series, HBO Max)

The Bestie/True Friend:  Helen Magnus, Sanctuary

The Crush/Love interest: Annie Edison, Community

The looming threat: The Daleks (Dr. Who)

The Antagonist/Bad Guy:  Cosima Niehaus (Orphan Black)

A mentor/instructor/old hand: Bob the Skull,  (Dresden Files)
Option One: Beth Harmon (The Queen's Gambit. Netflix)

Option Two: Miskatonic University (The Mythos, H.P. Lovecraft)

Option Three: "Mary Wardwell" (aka Lilith, Madame Satan) (The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Netflix)

Cancer

THE TRAVESTY OF THE RING

The Organization/Institution: The Fellowship of the Ring

The Protagonist /Applicant: Ted "Theodore" Logan (From the movies)

The Bestie/True Friend:  Pinky (of Pinky & the Brain)

The Crush/Love interest: C.J. Parker (Baywatch)

The looming threat:  Dark Helmet, from Spaceballs

The Antagonist/Bad Guy:  Biff Tannen (Back to the Future franchise)

A mentor/instructor/old hand: Sir John Falstaff, from Shakespeare's canon.
Option One: Numbah One Nazgul: Otto West, the moronic weapons expert from A Fish Named Wanda.

Option Two: ... the Cancerverse (Marvel Comics)

Option Three: Bugs Bunny (From the cartoons) as Gandalf

Sociotard

Witches in Black

The Organization/Institution: Men in Black

The Protagonist /Applicant:  Hermione Granger (Harry Potter)

The Bestie/True Friend: Door (Neverwhere)

The Crush/Love interest: Nathaniel Cade (The President's Vampire)

The looming threat: Sith Army (Star Wars: Endless Vigil)

The Antagonist/Bad Guy:  Alfred Bester (Babylon 5)

A mentor/instructor/old hand: Bob Howard (Laundry Files) 
Option One: Roz (Monsters Inc)

Option Two: Demonic Invasion of Mars (Doom)

Option Three: Troll with tumor/baby (Hellboy, the golden army)

Bazza

The Squirrel, The Stinson and The Wiccan

The Organization/Institution: The Amazons (Wonder Woman / DC comics)

The Protagonist /Applicant:  Doreen Green Squirrel Girl 

The Bestie/True Friend:  Helen Parr / Elastigirl 

The Crush/Love interest:  Barney Stinson (How I met your mother)

The looming threatCthulhu (Lovecraft)

The Antagonist/Bad Guy: (Dark) Willow Rosenberg 

A mentor/instructor/old hand:  Galadriel
Option One:  R'lyeh (NB: R'lyeh is directly underneath Themyscira, ie Themyscira is built on top of R'lyeh).

Option Two: Yellow Crayon Moment (B:tVS)

Option Three: Carmen San Diego (Netflix Version)

Death Tribble

Father Knows Best !

The Organization/Institution: The Harpers (From the Forgotten Realms)

The Protagonist /Applicant: Galahad (Knights of the Round Table)

The Bestie/True Friend: Conan the Barbarian

The Crush/Love interest: Phedre no Delaunay (Kushiel's Dart novel)

The looming threat: Smaug (From Desolation of Smaug)

The Antagonist/Bad Guy: Jean-Baptiste Emanuel Zorg  (the 5th Element)

A mentor/instructor/old hand: Silk/Prince Kheldar of Drasnia (Belgariad)
Option One: Trolloc (Wheel of Time)

Option Two: Pegasus (Greek Myth)

Option Three: Lancelot (Arthurian mythos)

56 minutes ago, Tjack said:

I think I’d like to give this one a try.  I’ve never done one of these before, so I hope you’ll all be patient if/when I screw up.

Some of these guys are old pros and will likely be correcting me, but if it helps, we're all a bit rusty. :)

Just remember only one pick a day, and that you may get sniped even in a draft with a pool to draw from as large as this. So I suggest back up plans

51 minutes ago, Tjack said:

I have a question, does the protagonist have to be a published character or can it be an original PC in an established universe, love interest, etc.?

CANCEL: I answered my own stupid question.

You got it, he she should be an established official character from published works, TV, or film. 

35 minutes ago, Tjack said:

Now I  have a real question. I’ve got a few storylines I could do but they all sound like bad crossover fiction.  How do I keep that from happening?

Make it GOOD cross over fiction!

More seriously, I'm aware how fan ficy this could be. That's not always a bad thing though, What If was just fan fiction written by pros who got a check who had permission to conjecture with marvel's characters if you think about it that way :)

My own suggestion, don't pick too perfect a protagonist but don't make him / her such an overwhelming A-Hole that folks want him/her to fail. Unless, of course, that's part of the fun for you to go over the top with it.  Other than that, don't worry too much. The important thing is we have fun, not that we create a magnum opus.

Okay. Someone sent me an excellent question I should have thought of... essentially they wanted to know if you could draft a younger version of a protagonist. My answer is, not normally, unless there is actually some official younger version even if it's a flashback scene or the like. THAT said, this is supposed to be fun. And i hate limiting folks SO...

IF you wish, you may us an option allowing you to freely change the ages of the characters in your draft as suits you! Not just one of them either. If you want a 14 year old Hans Grubber trying to frame a 13 year old John McClane so he gets kicked out of whatever magic school you've chosen for example, then it is now possible but costly. This option is NOT Exclusive... meaning more than one of you can do it if you feel froggy.

1 hour ago, Tjack said:

Now I  have a real question. I’ve got a few storylines I could do but they all sound like bad crossover fiction.  How do I keep that from happening?

The main thing to remember in these drafts is that just because Old Man picks the setting of Arthur's Camelot in England, there's no reason that you can't pick Ali's Used Camelot in Baghdad (We take all trade-ins. No camel too young, no camel too old.).

3 hours ago, Tjack said:

Probably you don't. And that'll make you just like the rest of us.  :D 

Because someone inquired...

You can certainly use folks from the same universe/source as the insitution/organization you have chosen if you wish. It might cost you some votes if folks think you're not really changing it up enough but it's possible. Mind you, if I were playing and saw someone picking  (For example) "The Round Table" and then started drafting "King Arthur" then Lancelot  I might try to steal a knight like Sir Gawain just to keep them from getting a full set, but I'm jerk like that ;)

But then that might work against me when your next knight applicant was Speed Racer and it turned out you never wanted Gawain anyway

1 minute ago, Cancer said:

Gah.  Gonna have to sit this one out.  I've thought about this for all of about five minutes since the announcement a few days ago, which reflects how this quarter is going to be for me.

That's a shame, Cancer! If the muse strikes you a few days in feel free to jump in after all

S.H.I.E.L.D Academy.   (Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.- TV)

Located in the rolling hills of New Jersey, on the former site of Fort Leigh, the birthplace of Captain America and the S.S.R.  And only a stone’s throw from the Banzai Institute.  The three campuses of Operations, Science & Technology and Communications provide an ample environment for exceptional young people who wish to serve their country as well as the entire world.

20 minutes ago, Tjack said:

I’m ready and waiting, do we just say the place or do we need to do some writing about it?  I’m set either way.

Some put fan fic or drawings up with the names, some just pick daily until they feel they've got a solid enough start to do that and add stuff later (or not at all). Only the picks are required :)

4 minutes ago, Tjack said:

S.H.I.E.L.D Academy.

And just like that, you're our first player to choose

(And thank you for that, it tends to encourage others to jump on in)

9 minutes ago, Hermit said:

Some put fan fic or drawings up with the names, some just pick daily until they feel they've got a solid enough start to do that and add stuff later (or not at all). Only the picks are required :)

And just like that, you're our first player to choose

(And thank you for that, it tends to encourage others to jump on in)

I threw in a little background info as well as making it clear what source I was pulling from.

Gods know, I did enough research...Did I ever mention I’m just a little bit competitive?(Cough*majorleagueOCDpsycho*Cough)