Minutemen - Robots

HeroGM

3 hours ago, Duke Bushido said:

You know guys, 

I have no disrespect for anyone because they like to, but this entire conversation has done nothing more than it has made me really, really glad I never got into comic books.  :)

How come?  Granted it was easier back in the day to avoid the type of “Who can lift Thor’s hammer” type questions before the internet. But they’re no more or less interesting/annoying than any of the “How do you build this power” ones.

6 hours ago, Duke Bushido said:

You know guys, 

I have no disrespect for anyone because they like to, but this entire conversation has done nothing more than it has made me really, really glad I never got into comic books.  :)

Everything great in life has drawbacks. That shouldn't keep you from experiencing great things. Often even the drawbacks can teach you something to make your life better.

3 hours ago, Tjack said:

How come?  

One- and only one- super-brief answer, followed by a second equally-brief one.  I want to keep them super brief, because just like the "foods you don't" like thread, I want ir to be perfectly clear that I am not trying to insult or denigrate those who _do_ like comics:

1) four-hundred, eighty-seven thousand and sixteen continuities. Or so it seems from the outside.  Dead people who arent dead anymore; people who have been thirty for eighty years, familial relationships where none existed before, and vice-versa.  Guys, this is the exact same reason (well, some of them, but those are in comics, too) that I cant stand soap operas.

2) the fandom.  Not the fans as individuals, mind you: most of my adult players, even in the non-supers groups, read comics, and obviously I love these guys, or I wouldnt keep playing with them.  The fandom is ridiculous though: all those continuities? All those dead/surprise! It was a hoax /oops! Dead again! Nonsense?  "No, Duke; it all has to make sense, because its all canon!  Even the retcons that undid it; those are canon, too, buy all the stufd that they "undid" are also cannon.  Oh, and the reboots?  Those are canon, too, even if the characters are completely reinvented / depowered / gender swapped / zombies.  All canon, and just because its a complete reboot doesnt mean that all the undone characters aren't going to just show up, because theyre just too cool not too use, so they will exist again. Canon.  All of it"

And the most infuriating thing about the fandom: "who would win...?"   Well, its a book.  The answer is always going to be "whoever the author needs to win," amd no; it doesnt (and won't) ever have to make sense. Now why cant you just sit back and roll with it?

Though to be fair, I have that issue with pretry much _any_ fandom, to the point that just hearing the word "canon" makes me want to fill a T-shirt bazooka with grapefruits and have at them.

Again: the individual people are, for the most part, awesome.  The fandoms are just....

Less awesome...?

23 minutes ago, Duke Bushido said:

One- and only one- super-brief answer, followed by a second equally-brief one.  I want to keep them super brief, because just like the "foods you don't" like thread, I want ir to be perfectly clear that I am not trying to insult or denigrate those who _do_ like comics:

1) four-hundred, eighty-seven thousand and sixteen continuities. Or so it seems from the outside.  Dead people who arent dead anymore; people who have been thirty for eighty years, familial relationships where none existed before, and vice-versa.  Guys, this is the exact same reason (well, some of them, but those are in comics, too) that I cant stand soap operas.

2) the fandom.  Not the fans as individuals, mind you: most of my adult players, even in the non-supers groups, read comics, and obviously I love these guys, or I wouldnt keep playing with them.  The fandom is ridiculous though: all those continuities? All those dead/surprise! It was a hoax /oops! Dead again! Nonsense?  "No, Duke; it all has to make sense, because its all canon!  Even the retcons that undid it; those are canon, too, buy all the stufd that they "undid" are also cannon.  Oh, and the reboots?  Those are canon, too, even if the characters are completely reinvented / depowered / gender swapped / zombies.  All canon, and just because its a complete reboot doesnt mean that all the undone characters aren't going to just show up, because theyre just too cool not too use, so they will exist again. Canon.  All of it"

And the most infuriating thing about the fandom: "who would win...?"   Well, its a book.  The answer is always going to be "whoever the author needs to win," amd no; it doesnt (and won't) ever have to make sense. Now why cant you just sit back and roll with it?

Though to be fair, I have that issue with pretry much _any_ fandom, to the point that just hearing the word "canon" makes me want to fill a T-shirt bazooka with grapefruits and have at them.

Again: the individual people are, for the most part, awesome.  The fandoms are just....

Less awesome...?

I’m hip, my brother.  I’ve got those love/hate emotions about fandom in spades.  In my foolish youth I was for many years a staff member of one of the largest fan run Sci-Fi conventions in New England.  Since I was an E.M.T.  I ended up in the Security Dept. Every drunken, ridiculous, proto-Karen (both male and female) in a costume came thru our doors. 
   I’ve got some good stories that the statute of limitations are finally up on.  So, if anybody cares I’ll tell some tales out of school on another thread.

On 1/31/2021 at 1:25 PM, Tjack said:

I’m hip, my brother.  I’ve got those love/hate emotions about fandom in spades.  In my foolish youth I was for many years a staff member of one of the largest fan run Sci-Fi conventions in New England.  Since I was an E.M.T.  I ended up in the Security Dept. Every drunken, ridiculous, proto-Karen (both male and female) in a costume came thru our doors. 
   I’ve got some good stories that the statute of limitations are finally up on.  So, if anybody cares I’ll tell some tales out of school on another thread.

Yeah, dish the goss!