Build: separated limb that can do things

Tech

It depends on how independent that limb is.  If it is basically you and can make decisions, it's a duplicate with a lot of physical complications (There is a Toy Story Short where Mr. Potato head has to go on a date with Mrs Potato Head but wants to play Poker with some other toys.  He leaves an eye and a arm behind and tells them to "deal him in".  The implication is the arm/eye will be a long way away from Mr. P but he will be able to both play Poker normally & tend to his wife)  This feels like a duplicate with a mindlink back to Mr. P

If you can throw you arm across the room, but it can't act on it's own and you have to see it to have it do anything, I like Chris Goodwin's answer.  This seems to be what Olaf is doing.

On 1/26/2021 at 12:21 PM, Tech said:

I'll go with Chris' idea. Thanks. I'm thinking though, that it might be always on. I'm picking on Olaf since he's the best example: when Kristoff takes Olaf's arm, Olaf isn't spending any time activating a power: it just happens.

That sounds like a variation of No Conscious Control. He can't take his own arm off or move it, but he otherwise controls its actions.

(Full disclosure: I haven't actually watched Frozen so I may be completely misunderstanding what actually happened.}

It's not Duplication to me as described, because the arm is in use...just not in the normal way.  

If the arms aren't independently sensing and acting, then Stretching, doesn't cross the space is a start.  Might also include Can't do damage.  TK with some sort of Lockout...maybe, I suppose, but it feels more tortured.  TK  SFX don't match up well;  Stretching gives the sense that, yeah, that's that guy's arm 4 feet away from his body.  Also, TK concepts would suggest you could, let's say, stir up the burning logs in the fireplace, which a detached arm *could* do...but not safely, presumably.

Some of this could be, what do you want to do with this?  Are there game mechanics that might be involved?  This might not be worth any points at all.

Duplication is a good answer, with a heavily altered duplicate (and since its severely limited, it does not require the "altered duplicate" advantage).  It would give you another arm that can "detach" and act independently of the main character.

Remember to work from effect to power: what does it do?  Then this is how to make it.  Whether or not the name of the power fits what you have in mind is irrelevant to the effect.

1 hour ago, dmjalund said:

you could still do choking attack

Strangulation, yes...but with one hand, not sure how effective that would be.  

Choke...you can't lock in a good choke hold with just one arm, and it'd be very easy to pull the arm off.  Nothing's blocking it from being pulled off the neck.  Unless it's a weird, long, robotic arm, probably with another joint, so the hand can finish circling around and grabbing the upper part of the arm.

And yeah, there's some other plausible attacks, like with claws if they're present.  How much STR applies to the HKA (claws)?

One advantage of the funky TK interpretation is that it does address any STR issues.

How large of a Phys Complication is One Arm?  If you're going with Duplication or Summon, a limitation might be Side Effect, can't use one arm.

I think the Duplication option is not what I'm looking for. As N-B said, I'll go with the Stretching idea.

12 hours ago, IndianaJoe3 said:

That sounds like a variation of No Conscious Control. He can't take his own arm off or move it, but he otherwise controls its actions.

(Full disclosure: I haven't actually watched Frozen so I may be completely misunderstanding what actually happened.}

*Gasp* What's with you, man?Joking aside though, it's great to watch that movie, if you can.