What is a food you hate, but everyone else seems to love?

Starlord

1 hour ago, Old Man said:

There's your origin story right there.

My list includes seafood in general, though I can stomach minimally prepared grilled or baked fish.  Can't stand sushi either, because of what they do to the rice.

This is why I prefer sashimi.  No rice to get in the way!

I'm of the age (or "trained palette") to now taste differences in certain foods.  Like in bread/pizza dough or tomato sauce.  Once you're stubborn enough to make stuff for yourself, you never usually want to go back to prepackaged options... 😛

1 hour ago, Asperion said:

Here is one that is a great seller in most stores -

YELLOW MUSTARD      🤮      😝

It is so easy to find and use in so many places and the foundation in many recipes. There are other forms of this condiment that are great, so mustard itself is not bad. However the common yellow form needs to be removed since it is so bland and unnecessary (and replaced by the other versions of mustard).

I hear ya there.  And the vinegar content runs high.  I do use it for one thing tho:  Carolina mustard sauce.  Mustard, cider vinegar, a bit of hot sauce, some sugar but not, IIRC, all that much.  It's meant to be tangy.  Developed for pulled pork, but that extends to fatty meat generally.  I use brown mustard for burgers and grilled Black Forest ham and/or turkey sandwiches a lot.

It may be the American and European style of drinking alcohol that causes the difference. Legally we can start drinking alcohol at age 18 but usually people start younger.

In France children can and are given wine with meals. Certainly I probably started with sherry which was at Christmas or holidays and that was what I first got drunk on quite by accident.

But my mother was a barmaid so she knew how to serve drinks properly and if need be get people drunk. Champage cocktails are a speciality. 3 and you are fine. Number 4 and you hit the floor.

As for beer I started on halves but never acquired the taste for bitter or mild. Lager is my poison of choice and I usually have it adulterated with lime. I did find one lager style beer I can drink straight and that was Miller Genuine Draft. What do they make in Milwaukee that hosted GenCon ? Miller beer. So I went on the tour. Almost every time I went to GenCon in the States..... 

I don't like whiskey and I have had the different varieties. Peat, smoked, Irish, Scots, American etc. Yuk !

I do like cognac and I was told people who don't like whiskey usually like cognac. QED

My mother likes gin and Gordon's was her choice but I did not like it. Until I was introduced to Bombay Sapphire and Tanqueray.

My other poison of choice is Vodka particularly with orange juice or Britvic 55. Superb.

34 minutes ago, Cygnia said:

I'm of the age (or "trained palette") to now taste differences in certain foods.  Like in bread/pizza dough or tomato sauce.  Once you're stubborn enough to make stuff for yourself, you never usually want to go back to prepackaged options... 😛

May I say, you start noting the *lack* of taste in the low-end commercial stuff in particular.  A long fermentation and rise develops flavors in bread and pizza dough that will carry through baking, that just can't happen with "toss everything into the bread maker and let it mix it all up and you'll have bread in 3 hours" or most commercial breads.  Cheap pasta sauce tends to cut back by using cheaper tomatoes...beefsteak tomatoes are almost as big a culinary crime, IMO, as iceberg lettuce...and not much in the way of herbs.  Sugar?  Yep.  Salt?  Yep.  Basil, oregano, garlic?  Not so much.

1 minute ago, Duke Bushido said:

Okra.

Ooooh, I hated okra in almost all forms when I was a kid. We wouldn't let my uncle into the garden to cut the okra because he would eat it was quickly as he could remove it from the stalk.

Okra is fine in a gumbo or jambalaya.

I've learned to eat fried okra as an adult. I think my mom used too much cornmeal in her batter then overcooked it. Furrs cafeteria does a good version of fried okra.

I don't understand people who like pickled okra. There's a lot of things which should be pickled. But okra is not among them.

13 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

May I say, you start noting the *lack* of taste in the low-end commercial stuff in particular.  A long fermentation and rise develops flavors in bread and pizza dough that will carry through baking, that just can't happen with "toss everything into the bread maker and let it mix it all up and you'll have bread in 3 hours" or most commercial breads.  Cheap pasta sauce tends to cut back by using cheaper tomatoes...beefsteak tomatoes are almost as big a culinary crime, IMO, as iceberg lettuce...and not much in the way of herbs.  Sugar?  Yep.  Salt?  Yep.  Basil, oregano, garlic?  Not so much.

Definitely.

There's a pizza place in the next town over that always gets raves.  First time I tried it 20 yrs ago, I thought it was good.

Now?  Now their red sauce is SUCH a sugar bomb it's unpalatable to me.  I don't know if this was always there and me finally now noticing it now that I make my own sauce or if they've started to cut corners down the way (they still get raves, so what do I know?).

Just now, Cygnia said:

Definitely.

There's a pizza place in the next town over that always gets raves.  First time I tried it 20 yrs ago, I thought it was good.

Now?  Now their red sauce is SUCH a sugar bomb it's unpalatable to me.  I don't know if this was always there and me finally now noticing it now that I make my own sauce or if they've started to cut corners down the way (they still get raves, so what do I know?).

I can't say I still frequent a ton of pizza places that I used to years ago. But all the ones I know cut corners today compared to the past.

As long as people come in the door and eat what they cook, they have no reason to NOT cut corners.

Labor prices go up. Supply prices go up. Rent goes up. Taxes go up. There's a real limit on how much they can increase prices. So quality goes down until it starts negatively affecting profits.

But since everyone's quality is being pushed down, that pizza place you're talking about might still be the best. But it's being compared to others in the present rather than to itself in the past.

22 minutes ago, Cygnia said:

Definitely.

Had that exact experience myself.  The red sauce at one place was seemingly tomatoes and sugar only.

My favorite local place for a while did great bread and wood-fired pizza.  Their fennel sausage and mushroom was to die for.  They brought in a pair of French-built bread ovens...big, fancy, pricy.  But the founder developed health problems and had to step away.  The founder's son ran the bakery side, but left a couple years ago.  Place is NOT the same at all.

I also remember a really nice soup and salad bar place.  The soups were made from scratch;  AFAIK that didn't change.  The baked stuff was too...until they went to commercial mixes.  The dressings dropped to Kraft stuff...very notably less appealing.  For a couple years it was a nice place to go from time to time, but after those changes, no thanks.

I'm a Cali kid at heart, so okra wasn't exactly in my wheelhouse.  

That's another one, I suppose:  The older I get, the less I care about pizza.

Regarding okra:  I hate it in all of its many permutations.  The _only_ time I use it:

Southern folk seem to think that okra is necessary for any sort of tomato-and-beef soup or stew.  If-- and _only_ if-- I am making five gallons or more, I will put in one-half of a piece of okra to give it that "soup" taste.   

For a love-it-or-hate-it...

My sister ran a bit late getting the Xmas gifts ordered.  Well, she is an MD.  She probably had a few other things on her mind.  She sent it, just...a little late.  Got here the other day.  Cheese and pears.  Fancy, ridiculously overpriced, but fun.  But in this case, the cheeses are largely worth it...Rogue Creamery in Oregon.  This is a serious cheese outfit.

On the love it or hate it...3 of the 4 wedges are blue cheeses.  2 are even smoked blues...I can't offhand ever remember seeing a smoked cheese turned into a blue cheese.  Quite interesting stuff.

Now, blues run the gamut.  The smoked blue here is more smoky, not particularly blue...not much mold, or the funk that gives.  The other kind of blue was more blue-funky, but not bad.  Both of em only fell apart a bit;  that's almost unavoidable, as the bacteria used to make it a blue, tend to compromise the structure.  But it's nothing like a VERY funky, crumbling blue like Gorgonzola.

So what's the verdict here among the chorale.  Blues...love em or hate em, or somewhere in between and/or "it depends"?  I like it occasionally;  I do prefer something not TOO stinky, tho.

2 hours ago, unclevlad said:

So what's the verdict here among the chorale.  Blues...love em or hate em, or somewhere in between and/or "it depends"?  I like it occasionally;  I do prefer something not TOO stinky, tho.

Straight blues, no.  As part of a dressing or sauce, sure.

4 hours ago, Starlord said:

Ummm, don't you live on an island? :)

It counts as a social limitation here, believe me.

Peaches and mangos.  Just some... muskiness?... in the flavor that doesn't work for me.

I concur with the low opinions expressed on Brussels sprouts and okra, and would add broccoli and cauliflower to the list.

I pretty much never used to drink coffee either, but am now a one-cup-a-day guy, spurred on by (getting old and) needing a boost in the mornings at work.  Need plenty of cream and sugar, though...

Mayo in general has been something I've tried to avoid, but I do think that the Kewpie brand (from Japan) is actually pretty decent.  It uses more (or maybe solely, don't recall) egg yolks and is thus yellower and to me just has a more appealing flavor.

On 1/26/2021 at 12:27 PM, aylwin13 said:

Yogurt. It's not so much 'hate' as just 'DO NOT LIKE IT'. Fruit-filled, plain, Greek, any variety. I love pudding and custard so it's not the texture. It's the 'cheesy', dairy aftertaste that I can't stand.

With you on yogurt: do not like!   

On 1/26/2021 at 12:31 PM, Hermit said:

Mayonnaise.

I am apparently the only Caucasian that doesn't want that near anything I eat. Folks tell me I can just wipe it off with a napkin or add some ketchup or mustard to 'cover it up' nope. Still taste it it. And it's gross.

Ironically, I also can't tolerate sour cream save in the smallest doses.

Well folks, as you know, I've got nothing but time for the next few days.   :lol:

On 1/26/2021 at 12:40 PM, BoloOfEarth said:

I don't like mayonnaise,

Someone in this thread made a specific comment about being caucasian and not liking mayo.  However, I found your comment before that one, Bolo, so I grabbed it for introductory purposes:

This whole white people / mayo thing is a complete myth.  My youngest two brothers both worked in sandwich shops-- one of them while going to college-- and one of my best friends has owned a sub shop for nearly thirty years.  All of them agree that caucasians tend to order "just a little mayo" and most will specifically request "no mayo."  Some comedian got on stage and made a joke, and Boom!  A completely unsupportable myth was born.

What all three of these people have told me, though-- and this one is harder to explain, because it involves a term that can be _erroneously_ taken as racist.  Please keep an open mind until you get through the definitions:

"white culture" doesn't mean white people specifically.  How many times have we heard people of color making jokes or insults about other people of color "acting like he is white?"  Whether we want to acknowledge it or not, there is an unpleasant differentiation in the US.   We have also heard extreme insults from people referring to whites who are acting "non white."

First:  Hell yes; these terms and definitions are based on racial discrimination.  Second: the two subsets of American culture are _real_.

Third, fourth, and fifth  (there's only one, but repeat it three times, okay?) :

THE FACT THAT THERE ARE POC "ACTING WHITE" AND THAT THERE ARE CAUCASIANS "ACTING NON-WHITE" IS DAMNED STRONG EVIDENCE THAT THESE SUBCULTURES ARE _NOT_ RACIALLY BASED, YOU RACISTS DOUCHE WAFFLES!

Okay, now you can decide if think I'm a racist.  Honestly, while it _does_ matter to me, I have way more immediate things to worry about right now that someone labeling me incorrectly.  I prefer "culture of Pop culture, thuggishness, and the glorification of ignorance an violence" as one group, and "culture of repressed emotions, interest in politics, and obsession with status quo and subdued existence" as the other.

Those who believe (erroneously) that these two cultures are race-based seem to think that group one applies more to people of color and group two applies more to us crackers.

Now to put that up against reality:  I got new neighbors about two years ago.  They are not caucasian.  They are also so quite and so clean that I haven't seen them since the house warming party (turns out that one of the in-laws was an old nursing instructor of mine twenty-odd years ago), and I am ashamed of how my yard looks compared to their absolutely pristine yard.

Reality?  I'm the dirtbag in this scenario.  :lol:

so anyway--  let's have G1 (obnoxious, look-at-me types)  and G2 ( quite, retirement-focused, generally professionally-employed)

I told you all that to tell you all this:

According to both Bill and my brothers, caucasians -- and pretty much everyone else-- in G1 will _always_ ask for mayo (or tartar sauce), and usually _extra_ mayo (and always extra tartar sauce).

Almost everyone in G2, caucasian or not, will decline or request very small amounts of mayo (or tartar sauce).

I found _that_ to be far more interesting than any potential racial relationship between mayo / people. The idea that mayo (or tartar sauce) may be a secret measurement for just how big an a-hole you are socially is fascinating.   Though really, it's just a hypothesis based on information I happen to have learned, and absolutely no testing has been done (beyond when I stand in line at the sandwich shop and try yo guess who is going to decline mayo (or tartar sauce if I'm at the fish place).   I have to confess, it's eerie how often you can get it right with this information-- but I also acknowledge that this could be _entirely_ a regional phenomenon. and G1 also tends to make three trips at the buffet, load up on nothing but meat, and wonder why the place when bust two years later.  :lol:  There is a _huge_ "I'm going to GET _my_ money's worth!" in G1, and little regard for what it is they are actually getting, so long as it's "more than someone else got."

For what it's worth, I want just enough-- just a tiny amount, like a thin, thin, _thin_ layer-- of mayo: just enough to keep my salivary glands from drying out and hardening when I get a mouthful of wheat bread.  I don't want to _taste_ it; I just don't want to choke on every bite.

Now all that said

though I do like Miracle Whip.  

I couldn't find it.  I wanted to find it.  I _tried_ to find it.

But I couldn't find it.

At any rate, I saw a meme some time ago that summed it up:

It would be a MIRACLE if I 

didn't WHIP your *ass for 

putting this on my food.

And I agree.  That's straight up sugar (if they haven't replaced it with corn syrup by now), and all I can taste.  Nasty stuff.   Mother in law loves it, though.

Count me in the "don't really like yogurt" camp as well. 

Ditto

On 1/26/2021 at 3:08 PM, Scott Ruggels said:

Fish

I have a very narrow margin of what is acceptable fish.  None of it can be found in a microwave, however.   :lol:

On 1/26/2021 at 3:54 PM, BoloOfEarth said:

Count me among the brussell sprout haters.  Can't stand them. 

Brussels' Sprouts don't even belong in this thread, since the title says "but everyone else seems to love."

I know -- well, to be honest: of all the people I _do_ know, I know _one person_ who likes them, and even she has wrap them with cheese and bacon and garlic / onion before she can eat them.  

unfortunately, I am married to her (we had two kids, both of whom are normal, and we conspire to sneak each other's Brussels' Sprouts into the trash can when she's not looking).

Now I would like to support me "but no one actually likes these" with a story my father-in-law enjoyed repeating.  

He was a pilot in WW2, and was stationed in France.  They had a makeshift landing strip, and it was next to a dozens-of-acres field of Brussels' Sprouts.  The men would complain mightily about both the amount of these things that made their way into the menu, and the relating increase in the number of times new latrines had to be dug.   Four different times, their air strip was bombed (while he was stationed there).   The fourth time, the air strip, the planes, and even the tents were missed completely, but the sprout field was obliterated.  

There wasn't a man stationed there who didn't cheer himself hoarse.  Even a month or so later, when there was a real shortage of food, and meals were rarely enough to make you feel like you had eaten, the men _still_ talked about how grateful they were to not having to eat Brussels' Sprouts.

And that, I think, sums up those little green sacs of bile quite nicely.

I also never acquired the taste for coffee, though I love the smell. 

You're not the only person I know with that condition.  I have three brothers who absolutely detest coffee.  John, the brother who loves the smell, is still alive, so you have that working in your favor.  ;)

I have never given anyone a hard time about not liking coffee or not liking beer-- or really, not liking _anything_. I mean: I _get_ it!  I detest okra, Brussels' Sprouts, eggplant, and having a waning appreciation for pizza:  I _get_ that people don't like things because _I_ don't like things.  Granted, there are damned few things I don't like (any wine, by the way:  there is absolutely no such thing as a wine worth drinking.  I don't care if you paid four-hundred dollars a bottle or eight bucks a gallon, it all tastes like Cardboardeux.  )

I totally understand why I don't like the stuff I don't like, so I fully accept that you have reasons for not liking the stuff that you don't like.  I _do_ tend to assume that other folks' lists are as reasonably short as mine, but I get surprised every now again.

At any rate, I'm not going to harangue someone or pretend that they are violating some great cultural tradition because they don't like it.

You know what?  I don't like tea.   I don't _hate_ tea, meaning I can force myself to drink it, but I have yet to find one-- Earl Grey, Grey Poupon- whatever the heck flavors they come in-- I have yet to try one (and again: I am married to someone who tries every single one she runs across, so I've had a few) they all taste _exactly_ the same, and they all taste like they were made from grass clippings scraped out from under the lawnmower.

My wife swears that they are all unique and different, but she absolutely didn't notice when I made her a cup of "green tea" using some grass clippings I had scraped from under the lawnmower, so you tell me.....   

"It's an acquired taste."  I replied, "Why the heck would I want to acquire it?!"

I have that exact same response to "it's an acquired taste."  So what?  What kind of lunatic says "wow, that tastes like crap; I'd better have a heck of a lot more so that I can learn to accept it!"   It's some kind of weird derivative of Stockholm Syndrome (granted, marriage is, too, but still....)

If I have to _learn_ to like it, I'm not going to bother.  Frankly, I can't find any real fault in this logic, as it's kept me from smoking, kept me of cocaine, and kept me from doing lots of things that are _actively bad_ for me: didn't like it the first time; not interested in a second time.  "Didn't like it the first time, keep doing it until I learn to love it" is actually one of my go-to examples of "extremely stupid behavior."   : /

Even if you don't think it's stupid, surely you can see that it's pointless:  "I don't like this thing; I don't have to buy more of it" versus "well, now that I have bought and consumed five hundred of them, I really love them, so I will now have to buy more of them on a regular basis, forever."

20 hours ago, tkdguy said:

Anything to do with fowl: Chicken, duck, turkey, even egg in its pure form (although I will eat stuff with egg as an ingredient).

I love duck, I love turkey, I love eggs, I am "okay" with chicken-- dark meat only.  White meat chicken-- America's favorite part of the chicken, for reasons that I can't understand, is the breast: the "oh-so-healthy white meat chicken breast."   It's like eating warm, tightly-compressed paper towels.  There is no flavor; there is no moisture; there is nothing but dry mouth, pain, and wasted effort.

"Don't you love Zaxby's?!"

"Don't you love Chik-Fil-A?"

No.  I detest them both.

"But they serve chicken!  You love chicken!"

No.  I am passively agreeable to chicken, except for the white meat, which is the ONLY PART OF THE CHICKEN EITHER OF THOSE PLACES SERVES.

Honestly, the only part of the chicken that, to me, is actively delicious, is the gizzard.  The rest of the chicken is just a wrapper to keep the gizzard safe, and should be discarded once the gizzard is harvested.   :D

Well, that took some time.

Gotta go check on the wife.

The things I hate that *everyone* seems to love are pepperoni and beer. (I am, as you might imagine, great fun at parties! 😆) Pepperoni used to make me violently ill as a kid, and I formed a strong aversion to it. I've tried it as an adult and not had the extreme reaction, but it still smells and tastes awful. I never acquired the taste for beer, and I'd rather drink soda or water than spend more money to drink something unpleasant.

In general I strongly dislike mayonnaise and similar salad dressings. I want the smallest amount feasible in tuna or chicken salad, and it ruins sandwiches it's slathered on against my request. The one exception is that once every few years I get a craving for pickle and pimento loaf, and a light brushing of mayo really sets those sandwiches off nicely. Ranch dressing is foul unless I'm dipping fried pickles in it, in which case it's wonderful.

23 hours ago, unclevlad said:

Definitely in the "it depends" camp. I really like crumbly Danish blues, and Roaring Forties from Australia is the food of the gods. The generic blue crumbles you find in supermarkets are pretty good on salads and with olives. But Roquefort might as well be someone's wet, dirty feet as far as I'm concerned. Generally I find that the more moisture in a blue cheese, the less I like it.

1 hour ago, Duke Bushido said:

With you on yogurt: do not like!   

Well folks, as you know, I've got nothing but time for the next few days.   :lol:

Someone in this thread made a specific comment about being caucasian and not liking mayo.  However, I found your comment before that one, Bolo, so I grabbed it for introductory purposes:

This whole white people / mayo thing is a complete myth.  My youngest two brothers both worked in sandwich shops-- one of them while going to college-- and one of my best friends has owned a sub shop for nearly thirty years.  All of them agree that caucasians tend to order "just a little mayo" and most will specifically request "no mayo."  Some comedian got on stage and made a joke, and Boom!  A completely unsupportable myth was born.

What all three of these people have told me, though-- and this one is harder to explain, because it involves a term that can be _erroneously_ taken as racist.  Please keep an open mind until you get through the definitions:

"white culture" doesn't mean white people specifically.  How many times have we heard people of color making jokes or insults about other people of color "acting like he is white?"  Whether we want to acknowledge it or not, there is an unpleasant differentiation in the US.   We have also heard extreme insults from people referring to whites who are acting "non white."

First:  Hell yes; these terms and definitions are based on racial discrimination.  Second: the two subsets of American culture are _real_.

Third, fourth, and fifth  (there's only one, but repeat it three times, okay?) :

THE FACT THAT THERE ARE POC "ACTING WHITE" AND THAT THERE ARE CAUCASIANS "ACTING NON-WHITE" IS DAMNED STRONG EVIDENCE THAT THESE SUBCULTURES ARE _NOT_ RACIALLY BASED, YOU RACISTS DOUCHE WAFFLES!

Okay, now you can decide if think I'm a racist.  Honestly, while it _does_ matter to me, I have way more immediate things to worry about right now that someone labeling me incorrectly.  I prefer "culture of Pop culture, thuggishness, and the glorification of ignorance an violence" as one group, and "culture of repressed emotions, interest in politics, and obsession with status quo and subdued existence" as the other.

Those who believe (erroneously) that these two cultures are race-based seem to think that group one applies more to people of color and group two applies more to us crackers.

Now to put that up against reality:  I got new neighbors about two years ago.  They are not caucasian.  They are also so quite and so clean that I haven't seen them since the house warming party (turns out that one of the in-laws was an old nursing instructor of mine twenty-odd years ago), and I am ashamed of how my yard looks compared to their absolutely pristine yard.

Reality?  I'm the dirtbag in this scenario.  :lol:

so anyway--  let's have G1 (obnoxious, look-at-me types)  and G2 ( quite, retirement-focused, generally professionally-employed)

I told you all that to tell you all this:

According to both Bill and my brothers, caucasians -- and pretty much everyone else-- in G1 will _always_ ask for mayo (or tartar sauce), and usually _extra_ mayo (and always extra tartar sauce).

Almost everyone in G2, caucasian or not, will decline or request very small amounts of mayo (or tartar sauce).

I found _that_ to be far more interesting than any potential racial relationship between mayo / people. The idea that mayo (or tartar sauce) may be a secret measurement for just how big an a-hole you are socially is fascinating.   Though really, it's just a hypothesis based on information I happen to have learned, and absolutely no testing has been done (beyond when I stand in line at the sandwich shop and try yo guess who is going to decline mayo (or tartar sauce if I'm at the fish place).   I have to confess, it's eerie how often you can get it right with this information-- but I also acknowledge that this could be _entirely_ a regional phenomenon. and G1 also tends to make three trips at the buffet, load up on nothing but meat, and wonder why the place when bust two years later.  :lol:  There is a _huge_ "I'm going to GET _my_ money's worth!" in G1, and little regard for what it is they are actually getting, so long as it's "more than someone else got."

For what it's worth, I want just enough-- just a tiny amount, like a thin, thin, _thin_ layer-- of mayo: just enough to keep my salivary glands from drying out and hardening when I get a mouthful of wheat bread.  I don't want to _taste_ it; I just don't want to choke on every bite.

Now all that said

I couldn't find it.  I wanted to find it.  I _tried_ to find it.

But I couldn't find it.

At any rate, I saw a meme some time ago that summed it up:

It would be a MIRACLE if I 

didn't WHIP your *ass for 

putting this on my food.

And I agree.  That's straight up sugar (if they haven't replaced it with corn syrup by now), and all I can taste.  Nasty stuff.   Mother in law loves it, though.

Ditto

I have a very narrow margin of what is acceptable fish.  None of it can be found in a microwave, however.   :lol:

Brussels' Sprouts don't even belong in this thread, since the title says "but everyone else seems to love."

I know -- well, to be honest: of all the people I _do_ know, I know _one person_ who likes them, and even she has wrap them with cheese and bacon and garlic / onion before she can eat them.  

unfortunately, I am married to her (we had two kids, both of whom are normal, and we conspire to sneak each other's Brussels' Sprouts into the trash can when she's not looking).

Now I would like to support me "but no one actually likes these" with a story my father-in-law enjoyed repeating.  

He was a pilot in WW2, and was stationed in France.  They had a makeshift landing strip, and it was next to a dozens-of-acres field of Brussels' Sprouts.  The men would complain mightily about both the amount of these things that made their way into the menu, and the relating increase in the number of times new latrines had to be dug.   Four different times, their air strip was bombed (while he was stationed there).   The fourth time, the air strip, the planes, and even the tents were missed completely, but the sprout field was obliterated.  

There wasn't a man stationed there who didn't cheer himself hoarse.  Even a month or so later, when there was a real shortage of food, and meals were rarely enough to make you feel like you had eaten, the men _still_ talked about how grateful they were to not having to eat Brussels' Sprouts.

And that, I think, sums up those little green sacs of bile quite nicely.

You're not the only person I know with that condition.  I have three brothers who absolutely detest coffee.  John, the brother who loves the smell, is still alive, so you have that working in your favor.  ;)

I have never given anyone a hard time about not liking coffee or not liking beer-- or really, not liking _anything_. I mean: I _get_ it!  I detest okra, Brussels' Sprouts, eggplant, and having a waning appreciation for pizza:  I _get_ that people don't like things because _I_ don't like things.  Granted, there are damned few things I don't like (any wine, by the way:  there is absolutely no such thing as a wine worth drinking.  I don't care if you paid four-hundred dollars a bottle or eight bucks a gallon, it all tastes like Cardboardeux.  )

I totally understand why I don't like the stuff I don't like, so I fully accept that you have reasons for not liking the stuff that you don't like.  I _do_ tend to assume that other folks' lists are as reasonably short as mine, but I get surprised every now again.

At any rate, I'm not going to harangue someone or pretend that they are violating some great cultural tradition because they don't like it.

You know what?  I don't like tea.   I don't _hate_ tea, meaning I can force myself to drink it, but I have yet to find one-- Earl Grey, Grey Poupon- whatever the heck flavors they come in-- I have yet to try one (and again: I am married to someone who tries every single one she runs across, so I've had a few) they all taste _exactly_ the same, and they all taste like they were made from grass clippings scraped out from under the lawnmower.

My wife swears that they are all unique and different, but she absolutely didn't notice when I made her a cup of "green tea" using some grass clippings I had scraped from under the lawnmower, so you tell me.....   

I have that exact same response to "it's an acquired taste."  So what?  What kind of lunatic says "wow, that tastes like crap; I'd better have a heck of a lot more so that I can learn to accept it!"   It's some kind of weird derivative of Stockholm Syndrome (granted, marriage is, too, but still....)

If I have to _learn_ to like it, I'm not going to bother.  Frankly, I can't find any real fault in this logic, as it's kept me from smoking, kept me of cocaine, and kept me from doing lots of things that are _actively bad_ for me: didn't like it the first time; not interested in a second time.  "Didn't like it the first time, keep doing it until I learn to love it" is actually one of my go-to examples of "extremely stupid behavior."   : /

Even if you don't think it's stupid, surely you can see that it's pointless:  "I don't like this thing; I don't have to buy more of it" versus "well, now that I have bought and consumed five hundred of them, I really love them, so I will now have to buy more of them on a regular basis, forever."

I love duck, I love turkey, I love eggs, I am "okay" with chicken-- dark meat only.  White meat chicken-- America's favorite part of the chicken, for reasons that I can't understand, is the breast: the "oh-so-healthy white meat chicken breast."   It's like eating warm, tightly-compressed paper towels.  There is no flavor; there is no moisture; there is nothing but dry mouth, pain, and wasted effort.

"Don't you love Zaxby's?!"

"Don't you love Chik-Fil-A?"

No.  I detest them both.

"But they serve chicken!  You love chicken!"

No.  I am passively agreeable to chicken, except for the white meat, which is the ONLY PART OF THE CHICKEN EITHER OF THOSE PLACES SERVES.

Honestly, the only part of the chicken that, to me, is actively delicious, is the gizzard.  The rest of the chicken is just a wrapper to keep the gizzard safe, and should be discarded once the gizzard is harvested.   :D

Well, that took some time.

Gotta go check on the wife.

Not very fond of chicken gizzards.

But fried chicken livers are the good of the gods. Unfortunately, most chicken places don't offer them anymore or ask so much for them that I won't order them. There used to be a place locally that sold them by the pound cheaply. I'd buy a couple of pounds and pig out.

I got unexpected and excellent (for me) results on my blood testing from the doctors' last week except I showed to be anemic. If the chicken liver place was still open, I'd buy enough of them so that being anemic would no longer be a problem.

As for the "try it 500 times and you'll like it" people...

I have an acquaintance who loves sea urchin. When he goes to a sushi place, he tries to get other people to eat it.

Part of his sales pitch is "I threw up the first three times I ate it. But now I love it!"

My reaction to that is "If you threw up the first time you ate it, why in hell did you eat it the second time and throw up? And then why did you eat it the third time and throw up? Then why did you eat it the fourth time?"

I mean, I threw up the first time I got a piece of anchovy pizza at a restaurant. Luckily, I made it too the bathroom first. 

And I suspect most of the reason for my reaction is that I didn't know I there was anchovy on that pizza so the strong fish flavor was completely unexpected.

But still, I wouldn't go back and deliberately try more of it.

On the mayo front, I had female relatives who used to eat "mayo and crackers" sandwiches.

A slice of bread, a thick layer of mayo, four saltine crackers, a thick layer of mayo, four saltine crackers, a thick layer of mayo, four saltine crackers, a thick layer of mayo, four saltine crackers, a thick layer of mayo, and another slice of bread.

Unfortunately, they're all dead from a combination of complications from diabetes and inadequate money to buy healthcare to treat their diabetes. 

Oh and I love fried beef liver, something which not many places offer.

My wife detests the smell of liver, whether beef or chicken, so I don't attempt to cook either. 

She'd allergic to fish so I don't get that cooked at home except on the rare occasion with one of the kids comes over and cooks something special, then cooks something different for my wife.

With her allergies to fish and eggs and not liking some of the meats I love and her being highly allergic to cigarette smoke which limited our dining choices and abruptly ended many dinners at restaurants we thought were safe, our early marriage was a minefield of culinary disasters.

1 hour ago, archer said:

I have an acquaintance who loves sea urchin. When he goes to a sushi place, he tries to get other people to eat it.

Part of his sales pitch is "I threw up the first three times I ate it. But now I love it!"

My reaction to that is "If you threw up the first time you ate it, why in hell did you eat it the second time and throw up? And then why did you eat it the third time and throw up? Then why did you eat it the fourth time?"

I mean, I threw up the first time I got a piece of anchovy pizza at a restaurant. Luckily, I made it too the bathroom first. 

And I suspect most of the reason for my reaction is that I didn't know I there was anchovy on that pizza so the strong fish flavor was completely unexpected.

But still, I wouldn't go back and deliberately try more of it.

I would occasionally go out to a sushi restaurant with co-workers at a former job. The first time, they had me try the uni, which wasn't the flavor I was looking for. One of my co-workers, however, would go nuts for it, and would ask folks who bought the all you can eat option to have their uni (there was usually a limit of 1 per person). Many of us would order it, and then pass the plate to him, and I'm fairly certain one night he had at least 6 servings.