What is a food you hate, but everyone else seems to love?

Starlord

I should probably add "Cheese" to my list.

unpopularly, I like American cheese.  No; I do not like "cheese product" or "cheese food," but actual _cheese_ type American cheese.  I know: everyone shouts it down as nasty, horrible stuff, which makes me wonder about two things:

1) have they tried that actual _cheese_, as opposed to the various (and nasty) "cheese product" and "cheese food" cheese substitutes, and

2) why are there so many grocery stores that stock no other kind _except_ American?  Obviously because _I_ am the only person who eats it, and they are all waiting for me to trade with them.  :lol:

As a general rule, however-- no cheese.

And Matt the Bruins:  that might be why my interest in pizza declines a little bit on each birthday: I find I have less and less interest in both sausage and pepperoni as time goes by... 

16 hours ago, Duke Bushido said:

THE FACT THAT THERE ARE POC "ACTING WHITE" AND THAT THERE ARE CAUCASIANS "ACTING NON-WHITE" IS DAMNED STRONG EVIDENCE THAT THESE SUBCULTURES ARE _NOT_ RACIALLY BASED, YOU RACISTS DOUCHE WAFFLES!

If I had no other comment about your post, Duke, I would at least need to say that I'm going to try putting "Racist Douche Waffles" into more common use.

16 hours ago, Duke Bushido said:

Brussels' Sprouts don't even belong in this thread, since the title says "but everyone else seems to love."

I've long thought the same, except that lately I seem to find more and more people who like Brussel sprouts, particularly when they're fried with bacon.  There's a local restaurant that serves them that way, and my wife and two daughters all love them, as well as my sister.  Me, I agree with your "little green sacs of bile" comment.

16 hours ago, Hermit said:

It was meant tongue in cheek with a nod to Undercover Brother (Great movie) but I find the G1 G2 theory interesting :)

Thanks, and yes: Undercover Brother was both overtly hilarious _and_ a glorious skewer to racism via blatant ridicule of racist stereotypes.  While it wasn't well-regarded as deeply humorous, I feel that it has been greatly under-appreciated as a social commentary.

As far as the white people / mayonnaise joke goes:

I can't say he was the first, but I know it goes back to the mid-eighties when a young George Lopez was still doing the "white people be like / Mexican people be like" drivel that all-too-often passed as "observational comedy."  (You know: because promoting racist stereotypes is something we should stand up and applaud  😕  ).  He followed it up with "you see them at Taco Bell yelling 'Oh my God!  It's so spicy!  Is that _real_ tomato?!'"

At any rate, you can probably find it in reruns of his television show (which featured an older, more experienced George Lopez, and was actually quite funny, being based more on family observational humor, though eventually he did recycle his entire original act through it).

15 hours ago, Matt the Bruins said:

Pepperoni used to make me violently ill as a kid, and I formed a strong aversion to it. I've tried it as an adult and not had the extreme reaction, but it still smells and tastes awful.

For me, it's black licorice.  It used to be my absolute favorite, but I tried sneaking a piece while I was actually very sick (bad flu, high fever, six years old).  When it comes back up, it's the _only_ thing you can taste  Ugh.   Then the dry heaves, with nothing but the agony of a digestive system determined to push its entirety out through your mouth or kill you in the attempts-- and nothing coming up but licorice-flavored fumes.....

I was six.  Today, I am sixty.  I _still_ can't touch the stuff.  Even just the smell of anise seed will set my guts to lurching.  Some memories are vivid _forever_.  Why none of those memories involve sex is completely beyond me.  :(

I never acquired the taste for beer, 

In the words of my wife:

Pour that ** back in the horse!

Roquefort might as well be someone's wet, dirty feet as far as I'm concerned. 

Outside of American (real, not imitation) cheese, I feel that way about every single cheese I have ever had forced upon me-- even the mildest of cheddar and the zestiest of nacho.  Knowing where cheese cultures originally came from doesn't really help me shake that, either.  yuck.

20 minutes ago, BoloOfEarth said:

If I had no other comment about your post, Duke, I would at least need to say that I'm going to try putting "Racist Douche Waffles" into more common use.

Thank you.  Honestly, I think if we could get the media to use that instead of "white supremacists," we might make them take a better look at themselves.  I mean "Supremacy because of Whiteness" does little more than reinforce their beliefs, and I think it well-past time to stop doing that!

I seem to find more and more people who like Brussel sprouts, particularly when they're fried with bacon.  There's a local restaurant that serves them that way, 

Just out of curiosity (and I harangue my wife about this, because that's how she prepares them (I do not prepare them: I think buying food that I _know_ we aren't going to willingly eat is counter-productive), is there enough grease, bacon, cream cheese, and other seasonings to completely kill the taste of the sprouts?  :lol:    If so, it's a pretty good bet that they don't like them, either: it's the seasoned bacon they're enjoying.  ;)

I agree with your "little green sacs of bile" comment.

Thank you.  I confess: that's not even inspired.  :(  They taste exactly like that "I threw up a little bit in the back of my throat" tastes like.   Bleargh!

I prefer my son's description of them, but I don't want to encourage it:

"Yep; I was right (while spitting them out).  Those are _definitely_ Grinch testicles!"

:rofl:

Here's another entrant for this list that everyone assumes is an actual product:

American Cheese 

It's only listed as a cheese because people have pushed for it to be one.  It fails on all the tests for cheeses and has more oils per slice than the RDA recommends, has no to little actual use that would be better done by some other actual cheese. 

American cheese goes great melted atop hamburger patties and between bread in a grilled cheese sandwich. I don't think it's good to snack on by itself the way a lot of other cheeses are, though.

Regarding chicken livers, I once made converts of an entire family of Minneapolis natives when I was seated in the spare seat at their table in a Japanese steakhouse and ordered them as my appetizer. The cries of "ew, gross!" quickly gave way to requests for a sample when the scent from the grill hit them, and I was happy to share with everyone. The consensus was that the livers were better than what everyone else chose as appetizers. Though the one time I got an order of livers mixed up with gizzards I was not only unable to eat any myself, my recently-adopted alley cats turned their noses up at them when offered. This was within a few months of them rooting through dumpsters for edible garbage, so I took that as my guide going forward.

21 hours ago, Ternaugh said:

I would occasionally go out to a sushi restaurant with co-workers at a former job. The first time, they had me try the uni, which wasn't the flavor I was looking for. One of my co-workers, however, would go nuts for it, and would ask folks who bought the all you can eat option to have their uni (there was usually a limit of 1 per person). Many of us would order it, and then pass the plate to him, and I'm fairly certain one night he had at least 6 servings.

I'm of the same mind as your co-worker. I loved the stuff at first taste, and will happily scarf it down when I'm visiting the coasts (not so much inland, where I've run afoul of less than fresh servings). But I do completely understand how that flavor and texture combination could strike people as disgusting.

8 hours ago, Duke Bushido said:

Just out of curiosity (and I harangue my wife about this, because that's how she prepares them (I do not prepare them: I think buying food that I _know_ we aren't going to willingly eat is counter-productive), is there enough grease, bacon, cream cheese, and other seasonings to completely kill the taste of the sprouts?  :lol:    If so, it's a pretty good bet that they don't like them, either: it's the seasoned bacon they're enjoying.  ;)

According to their menu, the Grinch testicles Brussels sprouts are fried with mild sriracha honey, smoked cashews, and Everything Bagel seasoning and you can add crispy bacon for an extra charge.  So they're not greasy or overdosed with bacon, though I'd say the honey and seasoning probably do help kill the taste of the sprouts. 

I don't think I've ever tried a hard cheese that I didn't like. Of course, I usually only have access to cheeses made from cows' milk. If I had unlimited money and no health problems, I'd systematically make the attempt to taste every hard cheese which is commercially available.

I haven't tried a huge variety of soft cheeses.

Not fond of feta, Queso Fresco

Don't recall trying Roquefort, Limburger

I’ll see your Brussels Sprouts and raise.... all cold vegetables.  I’ll eat anything cooked or steamed or used in a recipe, but I can’t stand salads or veggies on a platter for dipping, or any kind of raw plant matter.

You may all begin telling me how to learn to enjoy their healthful roughage.   You’re all wrong.

Liver. I refuse to eat anything the previous owner was using as a filter. 

Coffee. I've had it, decades ago, and could never drink it without adding so much milk and sugar as to effectively render the coffee a secondary ingredient.

Beer. Smells bad, tastes worse. Same for wine and any other spirits. Plus, I'd probably be a mean drunk, so it's better that I forbear. 

Sushi/sashimi. I can eat California rolls if they're good quality. The last time I tried some, they were NOT good quality. That's been two or three years now. I have zero desire to break the streak at this point.

Seafood. I'd like to like fish, but I just don't. Breaded fish is okay. But fresh fish? No thank you, please. The last time I had salmon I nearly threw up.  Breaded shrimp are good. Boiled or grilled shrimp are tolerable. Octopus and squid are right out. The few times I've tried them, the compared unfavorably to vulcanized rubber. Oysters? Not just no.

Tripe. I have friends and family who like tripe, including menudo. I consider them to be insane.

Really spicy food. My GI tract just isn't built for it. This eliminates a lot of interesting options like most Thai food and many curry dishes. And I never developed a taste for milder curries. 

Cucumbers. They always give me horrible reflux.

Chewy candies. Gum, licorice, Swedish fish, gummi bears, and the like. I blame an unfortunate childhood incident that resulted in having to get a filling replaced. Also, black licorice is the flavor of Satan's used gym socks.

Celery. Fine in soups and Lady P's chicken salad recipe. But just to eat celery? I don't care for the texture or the taste.

There's probably more.

2 hours ago, Tjack said:

I’ll eat anything cooked or steamed or used in a recipe, 

_Any_ recipe?

_ANY_ recipe?

Do you remember the seventies at all?

Here's a hint:

rkyhmzfcilp31.jpg?auto=webp&s=1d12798084

If that's not enough, harken back to that God-awful Lipton Onion Soup mix poured onto a bed of canned green beens and raw sewage that pops up at every big holiday gathering....

2 hours ago, Tjack said:

You may all begin telling me how to learn to enjoy their healthful roughage. 

I can't tell you that.  I can't remember not liking vegetables (except okra and eggplant.  To continue my wife's beer metaphor, you shove those back up the horse).

It might be that I grew up farming rocks in Alaska.  Seriously: we planted all kinds of things, but half the harvest was rocks.  You were allowed to not eat the rocks, but if you skipped anything else, it was quite possible to go hungry for a couple of days.  So I either always liked veggies, or it's yet another variation of Stockholm Syndrome.  :lol:

Which reminds me:

BISCUITS!

You see, there would be winters, particularly if fishing didn't pan out well or the good you put up didn't keep, when you might go three or four weeks toward the end of winter when every mean was biscuits and a dubious gravy composed of the drippings that had been captured the last couple of times you had meat  (Caribou!  I almost forgot Caribou!  I'm pretty sure that rancid crap is what Taun Taun tastes like).  I _swore_ to myself if I ever got off the farm, I'd never eat another biscuit.

It's been forty years since the last one, and I don't miss them a bit.  I mean, come on!  "Hey, how'd you like a plate full of gravy poured over some baked gravy?"  Jeez....

I do miss pigweed and fiddleheads, though: they don't grow around these parts.  :(

I seem to be odd within my family.

My least favorite food (or 2nd, but the other one is less universal within) black eyed peas. Dont get it, it taste like mud with less flavor (with a hint of paper taste, dont ask how i know how mud and paper taste). I have to wash down.

Beans, especially, is also a family favorite, they are less repulsive than above, but still cant eat.

Note: the other hated food i didnt mention is coconut. The taste is awful but survivable but in combo with the texture, i end up in chew and heave mode getting it down.

My brother has hated coconut, as far as we can tell, since the day he was born.  He wasn't actually tried on on Day One, but we were assured that a few months later, when fed a jarred baby food that included coconut in it, he would not swallow it and would spit it out from the first time it was spooned into him.  I have always taken that as clear indication that some preferences are hard-wired inborn, and not subject to "acquired taste" learning.

(By contrast, coconut is one of my favorites.)

6 hours ago, Duke Bushido said:

_Any_ recipe?

_ANY_ recipe?

Do you remember the seventies at all?

Here's a hint:

rkyhmzfcilp31.jpg?auto=webp&s=1d12798084

If that's not enough, harken back to that God-awful Lipton Onion Soup mix poured onto a bed of canned green beens and raw sewage that pops up at every big holiday gathering....

I can't tell you that.  I can't remember not liking vegetables (except okra and eggplant.  To continue my wife's beer metaphor, you shove those back up the horse).

It might be that I grew up farming rocks in Alaska.  Seriously: we planted all kinds of things, but half the harvest was rocks.  You were allowed to not eat the rocks, but if you skipped anything else, it was quite possible to go hungry for a couple of days.  So I either always liked veggies, or it's yet another variation of Stockholm Syndrome.  :lol:

Which reminds me:

BISCUITS!

You see, there would be winters, particularly if fishing didn't pan out well or the good you put up didn't keep, when you might go three or four weeks toward the end of winter when every mean was biscuits and a dubious gravy composed of the drippings that had been captured the last couple of times you had meat  (Caribou!  I almost forgot Caribou!  I'm pretty sure that rancid crap is what Taun Taun tastes like).  I _swore_ to myself if I ever got off the farm, I'd never eat another biscuit.

It's been forty years since the last one, and I don't miss them a bit.  I mean, come on!  "Hey, how'd you like a plate full of gravy poured over some baked gravy?"  Jeez....

I do miss pigweed and fiddleheads, though: they don't grow around these parts.  :(

First you’ll have to tell me what the hell that is.  
   And yes, I’ll try anything in the vegetable arena once to see if I like it, as long as it’s cooked. There’s no guarantees though. I’ve tried okra by itself and didn’t like it but I don’t enjoy spinach either unless it’s part of something else like spanakopita or in a soup.

I can't tell you what that dish is, specifically, but I can tell you it looks pretty typical of the horrors that rolled out of 70's cookbooks and that 60's thing known as "the Rich Diet."  Creative uses for gelatin and canned veggies is what it boils down to, and an endless series of "stack all the courses into a single dish" horrors-- and  casseroles; dear God the foul, vile casseroles.....

Anyway-- what that is in the picture is a big ol' slice of "Oh, Hell no!"

20 hours ago, BoloOfEarth said:

I've long thought the same, except that lately I seem to find more and more people who like Brussel sprouts, particularly when they're fried with bacon.  There's a local restaurant that serves them that way, and my wife and two daughters all love them, as well as my sister.  Me, I agree with your "little green sacs of bile" comment.

I think there are several people I’d enjoy calling a “racist douche waffle” just see the confused look on their faces.

The cries of “What the hell did he just call me?”  echoing as I walk away with a smile.

Badger's post reminded me.

Peas.  Ugh.  Can't stand 'em. 

Also zucchini (though that's another food that I don't think has a lot of fans).  The only times I ever tried zucchini and didn't hate it was in zucchini bread, and once at a Japanese steakhouse where it didn't taste horrid. 

The joke here in Michigan is that you can't give zucchini away.  I heard once a farmer put a bushel of zucchini in the back of his truck by the road with a sign:  "Zucchini - Free."  When he came back later, there were *three* bushels of zucchini there.

15 minutes ago, Cygnia said:

Hate asparagus too.

2 minutes ago, Cancer said:

Lotta hatin' on vegetables in this thread.

I have hated  SO many vegetables 

Yet to my surprise, I learned that, properly cooked, I actually LIKE Asparagus . I mean, like two years ago, I finally tried some (or maybe I had blanked out my early tries) and found I liked it.

Brussel Sprouts really are little Grinch testicles though