What would a time-traveler want from the Valdorian Age?

9 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

Not an easy process for Dr. Destroyer. His armor and weaponry aren't built as Foci. Removing or disabling them require time, sophisticated equipment, and considerable technical expertise. Doable, but DD will have to have been very thoroughly defeated first.

If your smart enough to use time travel as a prison...   And since this all takes place as setup before the heroes ever enter the picture I’ll just fall back on “It works ‘cause the GM says it works.”  Because if someone is actually intelligent enough to build a time travel device he’s not going to be stupid enough to toss an evil super-genius back then to f%(k up the timeline.

Besides this is just a toss away episode idea based on the criteria we were discussing. Not as a serious, well thought out game supplement.

On 1/27/2021 at 7:01 PM, archer said:

And you might have humanitarian groups trying to introduce helpful things from the future into the past to make life easier.

For example, there's a heck of a lot of crops which weren't developed until the 1600's-1800's through cross-breeding and intense selective breeding efforts.

Think of high-yield potatoes, corn, wheat, oats, and a host of other crops being introduced centuries before they were available as they are in their current forms. Or if nothing else, becoming available on continents where they aren't native.

That could go the other way, too. Past Ages might have crops that went extinct in the Age-ending cataclysms, that could benefit modern folk. Probably not bred as intensively, but with potential!

Dean Shomshak

The aforementioned purple orchid might hold tremendous medicinal potential. And if someone accidentally or deliberately loosed a disease from the Valdorian Age on the modern world, the orchid could be the only cure.

EDIT: I found a spell of black magic in The Valdorian Age p. 127, "Kiss of Pestilence," which summons a plague-bearing demon to infect a victim with its bite. The "plague" can have varying effects, which linger for months, but isn't potent compared to most superheroes. But that's in a time of low magic. On modern Champions Earth the spell might summon a horde of such demons, or maybe the essence of the infernal plague itself.

On 2/1/2021 at 12:09 AM, Lord Liaden said:

The aforementioned purple orchid might hold tremendous medicinal potential. And if someone accidentally or deliberately loosed a disease from the Valdorian Age on the modern world, the orchid could be the only cure.

EDIT: I found a spell of black magic in The Valdorian Age p. 127, "Kiss of Pestilence," which summons a plague-bearing demon to infect a victim with its bite. The "plague" can have varying effects, which linger for months, but isn't potent compared to most superheroes. But that's in a time of low magic. On modern Champions Earth the spell might summon a horde of such demons, or maybe the essence of the infernal plague itself.

Well that explains Covid-19. Or is it too soon? 

On 1/27/2021 at 7:30 PM, Duke Bushido said:

Seriously, though:

This is one among many of the reasons I think the official "it's all one continuity" stance is a huge mistake.

Agreed. This was part of my 5th edition character creations guidelines for "Champions Universe" superheroes...were I to run a 6e supers campaign in the CU I would just update this and go.

Setting is a separate Dimension
For reference purposes, the Champions Universe setting as described in the 5th edition era as used by me can be referred to as CU5-KS1 and by the book Champions Universe can be referred to as CU5. The official Champions Universes of today (5th edition) and yesteryear (1st thru 4th edition) can be thought of as alternate dimensions in classic Comic Book style.
A few key deviations between CU5 and the CU5-KS1 dimension:
  1. Magic is not the seed of all superpowers.
  2. The Champions went missing a year ago. No one seems to know where they went. This isn't necessarily a campaign plot point, I just wanted them out of the way so that the PC's can have the stage. Their base and other accoutrements are in the care of Dr. Silverback in the meantime.
  3. The smart chips used in MC are not generally known about by anyone, even most cops.
  4. Turakian Age, Valdorian Age, Terran Empire, Galactic Champions, and other published settings are not in the same timeline as CU5-KS1.
  5. Campaign morality is a little darker than CU proper. Not Iron Age dark, but a little grittier. People do get killed, and Killing attacks are used from time to time. Killing people as a hero will result in legal action and/or issues with other non-lethal heroes.
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/27/2021 at 5:41 PM, Steve said:

Well, since the official take is that the Valdorian Age is a time of reduced magical power, it might end up being a one-way trip. Time travel based on superpowers or rubber science may be able to get you there, but then they don't work again while you are there. Cue Doctor Destroyer in a rage when his technology suddenly fails, and he finds himself trapped amongst a bunch of primitive savages.

This actually makes the Valdorian Age an interesting possibility for exiling superhumans, or exiling people in general actually.

The other reason to go there might be to pick up some surviving artifact that is harder to acquire in the Turakian Age.

That happened to Reed Richards once, he went a little crazy IIRC.

3 hours ago, Steve said:

I think the constellations would even look different over that many thousands of years. A genius like Dr. Destroyer should be able to figure out when he is just by looking up at the night sky.

Oh I agree.

But would whoever "it" is think of it ?

It will take time.