Prisons

Steve

1 hour ago, Steve said:

In worlds with only super-skills and gadgets and no real superpowers, would a prison in a Dark Champions universe be much different than the real world?

Going on strictly a hunch, because of my answer below, I would expect to find a heavier reliance on mechanical locking mechanisms and electronic mechanisms reduced to key prisoners-can't-get-here locations, at these points I would expect electronics to be limited to guard biometrics as opposed to keypads, etc.  Even then, I expect mechanical devices sealing these away.  The reasoning is quite simply that a heavy reliance on electronics seems like a bad, bad thing given the typical super-character with a gadget schtick.

I also see any prisoner labor limited to shovels or other large hand tools, with no possible access to more delicate tools or any sort of gadget fodder.  And of course, an increase in real human guards, these being neither mechanical or electronic.  Possibly "you don't know this but" type tranquilizer gas nozzles mixed in with the sprinkler nozzles, just in case.

1 hour ago, Steve said:

Is there any information on Dark Champions prisons other than what is in the Hudson City sourcebook?

Not that I have run across; no.  LL will probably provide ten examples of which I am currently unaware.  :lol:

Sorry: I also meant to include: beds either being foam (no inner spring) mattresses directly on the floor, or on solid steel (not sheet metal) frames with solid steel platforms-- no finding little bits of wire or spring here.  :lol:

paper plates and water-soluble fiber flatware that dissolves within twenty minutes or so of first touching food or other moisture. No bone-in chicken or fish, either.

• 2 months later...

When you have people who are capable of being so stealthy that they can get past any observer and avoid any security system they will need to deal with that.   Super Stealth is probably the most common “Super Skill”, followed closely by lock picking and security system.   In a world full of Harry Houdini’s the prisons are going to be a lot different than ours.  

What about people so skilled at manipulating people that it is written up as mind control?   Letting that person interact with the guards is asking for trouble.  

What it really comes down to is how good these super skills are?  If they are written up as just extremely high skill roll, then the prisons will probably not be all that different.  If they are written up as powers the prisons will need to be a lot tougher.  

As I read it this really comes down to the flavor of the DC world you want.

Arkham Asylum seems to be moderately able to keep the various super-villians incarcerated.  They parole board just keeps letting them out.  On the other hand, when it's really important Joker can find a way and Batman seems to be able to get in and out whenever he needs too.  So I think the individual cells are a bit tighter but are in no way "super skill" proof.

On the other hand, in the MCU Ivan Vanko could build Stark Level tech and hack Hammer software like it didn't have a password and apparently had a lot of history in much worse prisons than he was currently in, but the implication was that the only reason he got out of prison was because Justin Hammer broke him out.

I think it is a genre choice.  Can a prison hold Lex Luthor/The Joker/the Punisher/other people without super powers but who DO have superskills? It seems like the default in most super-skill worlds is that there are ways of keeping super-skill characters in prison, but it seems to be in Genre for Batman to be able to break in whenever he needs to talk to Riddler.  If anything, it seems more common for bad guys to to take over the prison than to leave it.

I always felt that Super Skills bought with Powers should have a -0 limitation: skill. To represent that even though they are bought with Powers they are still only skills. Sorta how by default Martial Maneuvers even with a high enough Dice can’t break certain things-say a bank vault.

Edited by Ninja-Bear
Dang spelling!

On 1/28/2021 at 8:22 PM, Duke Bushido said:

And of course, an increase in real human guards, these being neither mechanical or electronic.  Possibly "you don't know this but" type tranquilizer gas nozzles mixed in with the sprinkler nozzles, just in case.

How much money would you have to pay someone to be a guard in the prison where Deadshot is held captive?

I think it should be the "more common super-max" idea. The idea that it's basically our world slightly skewed, right?

I suppose that tech is higher, though....

I guess for me it would depend on whether tech is incorporated into society, meaning is 2021 Hudson City more futuristic than 2021 real-world NYC? If it is, and if society is generally more futuristic, then the prisons should be outfitted accordingly. If the gadgetry and tech is limited to a small elite group of heroes, villains, and secret agencies, then I would just go with more super-maxes, yeah.

On 1/29/2021 at 6:27 AM, Tjack said:

Maximum security prisons would look at lot more like super-max ones.  Or just getting sentenced to super-max would be much more common.

I'd think you'd get a lot more of "actual guards watching locked doors and watching other guards" than relying on video surveillance and unmonitored locked doors.

Guard 1 watches Guard 2 who watches Guard 3 who watches Guard 4 who watches Guard 1. An intruder would have to take them all out simultaneously or someone is going to raise the alarm.

Or Guard 1 is tasked with watching the length of the north wall. Guard 2 from a distance watches Guard 1. Guard 3 watches Guard 2 from another position.

You might also see some brute force aspects to building at least some of the cells. A door that must be lifted a bit before it swings out but it's too heavy for a single person to lift and move, etc.

On 4/28/2021 at 5:03 PM, archer said:

I'd think you'd get a lot more of "actual guards watching locked doors and watching other guards" than relying on video surveillance and unmonitored locked doors.

Guard 1 watches Guard 2 who watches Guard 3 who watches Guard 4 who watches Guard 1. An intruder would have to take them all out simultaneously or someone is going to raise the alarm.

Or Guard 1 is tasked with watching the length of the north wall. Guard 2 from a distance watches Guard 1. Guard 3 watches Guard 2 from another position.

You might also see some brute force aspects to building at least some of the cells. A door that must be lifted a bit before it swings out but it's too heavy for a single person to lift and move, etc.

OMG! Holy Grail predicted this. Forget The Simpsons, Monty Python is the precognitive authority! :D

maxresdefault.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I would think that 99% of all prisons would be just like normal prisons are currently, mainly because 99% of the population is probably normal people and criminals. 

The 1% of prisons would "special", probably be Federal or Military ones, as they are the only groups that could afford to run them. Some of those might be "black sites" for the worst of the worst criminals, so terrorists, master criminals, etc... The non-black site prisons would be for famous vigilantes, unusual serial killers, and other major criminals who apparently used special skills or technology in their crimes. 

Some possible restrictions could be:

-Confined to cells 23 hours a day. Only 1 hour a day "in the yard", and only by themselves, no interaction with other prisoners. 

-Ankle bracelets, like people wear under house arrest, but these also track where the prisoner is at all times, send an alert if they are tampered with or taken off, or if prisoner is somewhere they are not supposed to be, etc...  

-No access to internet

Black sites would possibly be even worse as black sites theoretically don't have to follow federal laws or the Geneva convention. 

29 minutes ago, mallet said:

-Ankle bracelets, like people wear under house arrest, but these also track where the prisoner is at all times, send an alert if they are tampered with or taken off, or if prisoner is somewhere they are not supposed to be, etc...  

Yeah, “alert” ....then explode.  And they’re clamped around the prisoners neck.  It may be inhumane for regular prisoners but we’re talking about Super Powered serial killers here.  Deathstroke, Bullseye, Sabertooth or The Joker.

Anything up to and including summary execution instead of trial should be on the table

The Gotham City cop who during the trip back to Arkham after Batman catches him again takes out his gun and blows the back of Mr J’s head off would get a parade from a grateful city.

2 hours ago, Tjack said:

The Gotham City cop who during the trip back to Arkham after Batman catches him again takes out his gun and blows the back of Mr J’s head off would get a parade from a grateful city.

Since this is Gotham City, the Joker’s death at the hands of a cop would probably incite a horde of his “fans” to carry on his craziness. It could be like BLM on steroids in that city.

On 5/16/2021 at 2:52 PM, Steve said:

Since this is Gotham City, the Joker’s death at the hands of a cop would probably incite a horde of his “fans” to carry on his craziness. It could be like BLM on steroids in that city.

That is more or less what happened in the old Batman Beyond cartoon that was set in the future of the 90s Batman/Justice League cartoons.
The Jokerz were clown themed street gangs that roamed the blade runner future Gotham after Joker died.

• 5 months later...

I would imagine in a Dark Champions game the prison system would not have the maximum number of prisoners to a cell, mandatory library, TV time etc.

I would think they would be old school like the 1920's with balls and chains because ....

Well because the world is Dark and Unjust!  That's why!

Edited by indy523
It's late and I can't think straight

49 minutes ago, indy523 said:

I would imagine in a Dark Champions game the prison system would not have the maximum number of prisoners to a cell, mandatory library, TV time etc.

I would think they would be old school like the 1920's with balls and chains because ....

Well because the world is Dark and Unjust!  That's why!

A ball & chain.....you mean like the one Absorbing man has and uses to smack Thor around?   I would think twice about giving somebody like Sabertooth a heavy object close at hand to use as a weapon.

19 hours ago, Tjack said:

A ball & chain.....you mean like the one Absorbing man has and uses to smack Thor around?   I would think twice about giving somebody like Sabertooth a heavy object close at hand to use as a weapon.

Sure I would, because the is what makes it fun!

• 2 years later...

I would go with a high security lock down. Normals would be in one wing. Non powered and weak supers in another. High powered in a third. Those with real powers wear a dampener. Bel Reve meets the Raft. Could even have a low powered roboguard with high str and invulnerability controlled by guards. Definitely sleep gas sprayers and Taser defenses in the prison.

THe Cubans built a fairly close copy of the "panopticon". Which puts the guards in a center tower/island, but with the ability to observe the cels 360 degrees around them.  THe prisoners cant observe if the guards are watching them, due to mirrored windows. THere is no privacy from the guards.

Or they could emulate the prison from the Disney + show Andor with it's eletrified floors and very limited access halways.  The one error of design they did was the windows on the access tunnels giving the prisoners an idea of how large the facility was, and a way to communicate line of sight to other prisoners above and below them.