Hero Games 2021 Update

Jason S.Walters

Hello everyone! We have a variety of projects going on at Hero Games right now, both for quarter one of 2021 and for the year as a whole. I wanted to let you know about them, get your input, and ask if there is anything you would like to see created by Hero Games in the coming year. Of course, I can’t promise you we will act on those suggestions! Only that we will listen and do what we can, given the limited time and resources that we have. Please feel free to comment.

UPCOMING NEW RELEASES

The following three projects have been turned into us, have been approved, and are in various levels of production right now. (If you have submitted a project to us and don’t see it listed here, don’t be alarmed! We simply haven’t gotten to it yet. These things take time.)

Western Hero: Rough and Ready Roleplaying – This is a joint project between Kestrel Arts and Hero Games. Written by Christopher Taylor and based on work by Matt Forbeck, it’s an exhaustive, rules complete 276 page Hero System 6th Edition book. It has already been through layout, editing, and (due to the subject matter) sensitivity reading, and will be made available physically and electronically through DriveThruRPG, Amazon, Indie Press Revolution, and the Hero Games store. A Hero Designer Character Pack for this product will also be available for sale.

Institute For Human Advancement: Pride & Prejudice – Written by Thomas Stadley, this book is a 50,000 word Champions 6th Edition source book detailing the history, structure, agents, and technology of the infamous Champions Universe villain organization known as the IHA. It is currently being edited by AC, and will be made available physically and electronically through DriveThruRPG and Amazon, and electronically through the Hero Games store. A Hero Designer Character Pack for this product will also be available for sale.

The Hero System Book of Templates II – Written by Christopher Hackler, this is the sequel to Chris’ popular Hero System Book of Templates. I’m editing this book myself right now, and it’s excellent. At 33,000 words it’s even better than the original, and extremely useful to new players. It will be available in electronic and physical form from DriveThruRPG and Amazon, and electronically from the Hero Games store. A Hero Designer Character Pack for this product will also be available for sale.

SECTIONAL BOOKS

Steve Long and I have come up with a new publication concept for releasing Hero System books, and we are going to try applying this concept to a couple of projects this year and see it works out, financially as well as artistically. I’m calling these “sectional books,” as they will be released in sections that stand alone as electronic products, but can be combined in the end and released as a complete print-on-demand book on DriveThru and Amazon. The stand-alone products won’t have any original artwork, but the final book they will be combined into will have an original cover and at least some original interior artwork (though they will be softcover black-and-whites).

Subject matter for these books will be selected in part based on their suitability for the format: meaning, they can be released in sections, then those sections can be combined into a unified, consistent final product (not a magazine or the like). The first two will be written by Steve, and will be Champions International – a collection of chapters about imaginary countries with exist in the Champions Universe – and Martial Enemies, which will detail a wide variety of martial arts characters suitable for Champions, Ninja Hero, Pulp Hero, or any of a number of other genres. He’s already turned in the first section Champions International: Lugendu, which AC is getting ready right now.

If the sectional book projects goes well, Hero Games will launch a Patreon account to support even more work in that vein, plus provide exclusive content to Hero System fans who choose to become backers. (But we’ll have to see how the project goes before I commit to that!)

KICKSTARTER

At this point I don’t have any plans in 2021 a Kickstarter project. I’m willing to hear suggestions if you folks have any. But please keep in mind that the Hero Games KS account is reserved at this time for “big” projects. By this I mean comparatively large, rules-complete works which require no additional books to play. So I mean projects that are like Champions Now or Fantasy Hero Complete, but not Book of the Empress or Champions Villains III. I’m open to the idea of licensed intellectual property projects; though, again, I can’t make any promises. Actually getting licensed IP is an extremely difficult and time-consuming undertaking that I have only succeeded at twice (once here at Hero Games, and once at my own imprint High Rock Press); though behind the scenes I tried one dozen other times over the years unsuccessfully. Success requires either a perfect alignment of circumstances, or large sums of money; and the former is by nature unlikely, the later - nonexistent.

HALL OF CHAMPIONS

So far you fans have contributed forty creations to our Hall of Champions DriveThruRPG community content program! Please continue, feel free to contribute to the creative legacy of Hero Games, and maybe make a few bucks along the way.

-Jason Walters, Publisher

This is very exciting, Jason! I admire the creative ways you and the other Secret Masters try to advance Hero Games in these trying economic times. :yes:  These sound like very positive strategies, particularly the sectional book concept. Detailing the unique countries on Champions Earth has long been something I wanted to see, as well as full treatment for the Institute for Human Advancement.

I do have a few suggestions and recommendations, but I'll keep them to a practical minimum. I also want to offer a bit of assistance in relation to these and other projects.

Regarding fictional CU countries, I compiled a summary of details about them that have appeared in several Champions books, which can be read on this forum post.  It's possible that some of those details might have been overlooked.

I would also request that something be done with the Central African country of Lurranga, which as I note on that list is barely mentioned in 5E and 6E books. I know Steve wrote a description of it in Justice, Not Law for 4E Dark Champions, and is probably aware that it was the setting for an adventure in the 4E version of Champions Universe, which expanded Lurranga further. There are a couple of additional details about CU Africa in the current official setting that could add depth to it. Champions Universe: News Of The World p. 154 notes that in 2007 a meteor shower spread bits of kelvarite over half the continent. The Mystic World p. 51 sidebar describes a mysterious "occult dynasty," family or cult, called the Magambo whose origins are unknown, but who have malevolent magical influence across Central Africa.

(BTW I noticed a few details about the Caribbean in Cops, Crews, And Cabals and DEMON: Servants Of Darkness that might embellish Cost Azúl. Please pass on to Steve that I'd be happy to reference them when he gets around to writing that, as well as anything else I mention elsewhere. ;) )

I have a suggestion for a future sectional book, which I would tentatively title Villains Beyond, kind of a sequel to Champions Beyond. That book names and briefly describes twenty-eight alien supervillains, sixteen enemies of the Star*Guard either free or in their prison, and twelve villains based in the Andromeda Galaxy. Details about Andromeda, and the Star*Prison, could flesh out the book even more.

Finally, it would be nice to see a book dealing with and updating ARGENT, like the book being done for the IHA. If it would help, I compiled and categorized all the published info I could find on ARGENT to the thread linked in my signature, and converted it to a PDF that's in the free Downloads section of the website. It's actually considerable.

Thank you and Steve again for all your efforts. :)

Many moons ago, a TSR product called Alternity had "Fast Play" rules. And with it had a short intro adventure. Not sure if there is a way but as a way to get HERO out to a broader community. A short adventure with premade characters, and rule set that only grazed the top and made the adventure play would be a way to expand the games foot print. 

Just the ramblings of a guy on his couch thinking about a nap. 

I think it's time to look at another update to the Champions Universe, a sort of News Of The World II, for three reasons. One, it's been a decade since something substantial about the contemporary CU has been released (Darren's splendid Golden Age Champions adds very little to our knowledge of the world "today"). Two, we're now past the old 2020 end date for the Age of Superheroes from the original time line, so we're clearly dealing with a divergent one that's wide open for further development. Three, Cryptic Studios' current corporate masters show little interest in investing in expanding Champions Online, and even less interest in the tabletop side of the setting; so Hero Games should have much leeway to advance it as they see fit.

So it would be great to find out what's been happening. What heroes and villains have retired or died? Who's been replaced in various teams? Did Tyrannon's attack on Earth in 2020 actually happen, and if so, how was he thwarted? What's the status of DEMON after Luther Black's (presumably) failed apotheosis scheme in 2012? Did the Hzeel finally get around to invading Earth? What's the progress in the Lemurian civil war? Did the Apocalypse come to Vibora Bay? Did Calvin Biselle finally leave the MC mayoralty to run for higher office? How about Invictus' plans to run for the Presidency? ;)

It wouldn't necessarily have to include much if any new character write-ups, just a rundown of the world's status.

Im very interested in the Patreon concept for Sectional Books.  I like the concept a lot but my initial thought would be that if I have a choice between buying the individual sections and a complete product with art (even b&w art) I would generally wait for the "complete" product.  I'd hate to see this idea fail because people are holding out for the final book. 

If there was a Patreon structure that would let us pay as we go for sections and then reward backers with the complete version later (or let us "upgrade" our digital versions for a nominal fee) that would be ideal.  At this point in my life I'm more interested in the digital versions than physical ones anyway.

On 2/4/2021 at 1:19 PM, Jason S.Walters said:

If the sectional book projects goes well, Hero Games will launch a Patreon account to support even more work in that vein, plus provide exclusive content to Hero System fans who choose to become backers. (But we’ll have to see how the project goes before I commit to that!)

A Hero Patreon account is something that I've supported for a long time. It's a way to produce new Hero material on a regular basis, without too much speculative expense, and with the potential for follow up sales (as you noted).

If I had the energy and time I would do up a very low magic Fantasy Hero setting (really just a slightly fantastic historical one) for the bronze age like Age of Conquerors or something.  Kind of like Conan, with magic being more suggestion and a better understanding of how things work than blasts and summons.  I think a very ancient world map with places like Sumeria and Akkadia, Mitanni, etc.  You could have a timeline up to around Rome.  To me that would be a blast to play in and run games set in but I have too much on my plate already.

7 hours ago, Jhamin said:

Im very interested in the Patreon concept for Sectional Books.  I like the concept a lot but my initial thought would be that if I have a choice between buying the individual sections and a complete product with art (even b&w art) I would generally wait for the "complete" product.  I'd hate to see this idea fail because people are holding out for the final book. 

If there was a Patreon structure that would let us pay as we go for sections and then reward backers with the complete version later (or let us "upgrade" our digital versions for a nominal fee) that would be ideal.  At this point in my life I'm more interested in the digital versions than physical ones anyway.

I really second this, I wouldn't like to buy the sections twice or to be forced to wait for the finished book. Something letting me to buy the sections as they are released and then "upgrade" to the finished book would be perfect. 

My thoughts:

1) I would definitely support a Patreon to get new material.  I like ENWorld's En5sider, but I don't play D&D.  Still, I supported it for a couple of years just because.  At least I'd get useful stuff here.  The trick is to give the backers a free PDF version of the book being created, as well as, the frequent updates.

2) The Western and Institute books look interesting.  Got me thinking of a capes in the 19th century campaign.

3) If you want to see an IP that truly needs a a solid system that is dynamic yet relatively simple to adjudicate AND has a solid following, look no further than Shadowrun!  The Hero system would be excellent for this game, and the lore would make it an easy port.  You should contact Topps and/or Catalyst Game Labs to see if you can form a partnership.  A Hero core with CDL lore means you can both share in the tsunami of money that will rain from the sky!  (hyperbolic?  maybe, but you have to admit that Shadowrun gamers like crunchy rules and are begging for a ruleset that makes sense and is east to adjudicate at the table.

Thanks for listening.

- Chris

I am not really sure how IP' s are as far as affordablility but Supernatural and Firefly always have a solid fan base and they are getting older.

I used to read the Plague Wars Novels by David Vandyke. I enjoyed the world alot. I am not great at sorry telling but it had something for any gamer, military, advanced humans, politics, adventure. Not sure if anyone here has ever read them. I would think that since it is a pretty under the radar series the IP could be gotten cheap. And the author may like the promotion it would bring.

My first entry into the Hero Universe was the 4th edition Big Blue Book....

• I would like to see “The History of the Hero System Universe” Product Line with potential pictures of products from the beginning to now with brief descriptions.
  • I would love to see a Star Hero Complete to have a shorter ruleset for creating sci-fi universes and get new players into the game to play in their favorite tv show, movie, and other universes with a quick investment.
  • I would love to see the Hero System ported to the Prime Directive/Starfleet Universe of ADB, similar to the other games systems of GURPS, d20, and soon to be Traveller.
  • Fully agree an updated Vehicle book is needed with starship combat system.

20 hours ago, Kehrer said:

My first entry into the Hero Universe was the 4th edition Big Blue Book....

• I would like to see “The History of the Hero System Universe” Product Line with potential pictures of products from the beginning to now with brief descriptions.

If it's just curiosity, you kind of can via the store on this site.  They don't have all the third-party stuff (most of which was via magazine articles and inserts), but off the top of my head, I can't think of anything published by any version of HERO GAMES that they don't have.  Wait-- was the Shadow World stuff-- no; that was straight-up Iron Crown, wasn't it?

At any rate, you can get an eyefull of almost everything through the store.

• I would love to see a Star Hero Complete to have a shorter ruleset for creating sci-fi universes and get new players into the game to play in their favorite tv show, movie, and other universes with a quick investment.
  • I would love to see the Hero System ported to the Prime Directive/Starfleet Universe of ADB, similar to the other games systems of GURPS, d20, and soon to be Traveller.

You and me both.  There's Traveller HERO, and that helps considerably, but (and I think this was part of the requirement to get the license, but I don't know.  Shadowcat can probably tell you for certain when he comes around) there's not really a lot of useful setting information.  As I recall someone involved with the project mentioning that the licensing required that anyone buying Traveller HERO still had to buy setting stuff from whoever-had-the-Traveller-rights, but it's been a long time ago, and I could be foggy.

Actually, I guess Traveller HERO isn't complete, either, if you aren't already familiar with any version of the Imperium.

At least one of the people responsible for Traveller HERO has a Trek HERO fan build floating around the net; it covers TOS and NG.  I'm not familiar enough with NG to tell you how "right" it is, but the TOS portion carries good flavor.

• Fully agree an updated Vehicle book is needed with starship combat system.

I'd much prefer to see a volume / size / mass sort of "how to build a starship," if I had to pick one feature, but I've been doing it myself for long enough that it doesn't matter anymore.  :(

I'd like to see a couple of options on Starship Combat:  one "realistic" featuring drift, momentum, etc-- akin to the very first edition of Traveller (though the revamp wasn't bad, and was a bit easier to teach), and then something a bit more cinematic for those stories featuring 'fighters v capital ships' type combats-- you know: swerving.    :lol:

Problematically, it results in two completely different build methodologies.  :(

In terms of "unfolding", as dmjalund puts it, I would revamp Dark Champions for 6e and call it Action Hero, and then put out a Danger International campaign book, providing a complete espionage campaign setting.

and you could do a Dark Champions "vigilante superhero" campaign setting as a release for that as well.  And my long-wished for War Hero book for each major evolution in combat.