Here an idea I’ll float out. Not sure how many people would buy this but, How about a PDF of legacy Characters with the original write ups through the editions? So say Starburst would have each of his listings as they were presented in each edition.  His 1st edition would be shown as his first edition, no conversions. Pulsar would be shown from 1st (?) - 6th (I know he’s in Basic Rulebook). Niche? Yeah but I think it would be neat. Just an idea.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello everyone! We have a variety of projects going on at Hero Games right now, both for quarter one of 2021 and for the year as a whole. I wanted to let you know about them, get your input, and ask i

Actually, I think a far better product than "Psionic Hero" would be an actual "Game Powered by Hero" Heroic Level psychic game.   Maybe it's a "psychics among us" game - these powers exist,

Bingo!  This goes for all genre/theme/settings or what have you.   The only real way to learn Hero is to play Hero.  But having to design everything before you can play really eliminate

8 hours ago, Ninja-Bear said:

Here an idea I’ll float out. Not sure how many people would buy this but, How about a PDF of legacy Characters with the original write ups through the editions? So say Starburst would have each of his listings as they were presented in each edition.  His 1st edition would be shown as his first edition, no conversions. Pulsar would be shown from 1st (?) - 6th (I know he’s in Basic Rulebook). Niche? Yeah but I think it would be neat. Just an idea.

I think I'd rather see a book called "Champions Legacy" that brought old characters back in an official format. Upgrade the backgrounds a bit, maybe have some new art and design. I realize that Tiger Paw Press does something similar, but I'd really like to see something in a more official capacity with a higher budget.

27 minutes ago, Sketchpad said:

I think I'd rather see a book called "Champions Legacy" that brought old characters back in an official format. Upgrade the backgrounds a bit, maybe have some new art and design. I realize that Tiger Paw Press does something similar, but I'd really like to see something in a more official capacity with a higher budget.

I would go for that too! The thing is, I think it’s neat to see how far (and complex) the characters have come. I could see them still doing that and having each edition written in 6th.

36 minutes ago, Sketchpad said:

4 minutes ago, Ninja-Bear said:

I would go for that too! The thing is, I think it’s neat to see how far (and complex) the characters have come. I could see them still doing that and having each edition written in 6th.

maybe two versions one as if they were new (sort of direct translations of the originals) and 'Developed' versions

I wonder how well Champions Universe: News of the World sold back in the day.  A chunk of that book was similar to this idea (updating existing characters to show their growth over time). Similar things have been in a couple other books too.  I wonder whether they were strong sellers.

Personally, I don't have any interest in a product that shows the same character in different editions of the rules, but I can see where it might make a good PDF product for folks who would dig it.  :) 

I think a book that re-prints characters from all their editions is of great academic value, but probably of little practical game value. But that's what I find so compelling about it. As a student of the system since 2nd edition, I find the evolution of the game to be truly fascinating. There's probably no better way to see that evolution in action than through character design (and presentation).

12 hours ago, Derek Hiemforth said:

Personally, I don't have any interest in a product that shows the same character in different editions of the rules, but I can see where it might make a good PDF product for folks who would dig it.  :) 

My initial post was also to be cheaper as a PDF. A decent copy and paste of each edition shouldn’t be too expensive to put in a PDF.  And that’s why initially too I wasn’t worried about updating each version into 6th. I figure most people that are going to be interested in this would just convert if they wanted too.

It seems that between 1st and 2nd, Goodman started to show his influence! And Geodesics were robbed! I always thought they were weak however compared to some of the originals they weren’t bad. I mean OG Starburst had only a 40 pt MP. He was also less than starting points too. But then the world (Heroes) got more powerful and except for Dystopia they were left behind. 

My recollection of the Geodesics is that they appeared designed as starting characters, like Crusader and Starburst, where the other villains seemed designed as more powerful adversaries, often as one villain to fight a team of PCs.  So 4 PCs with 8-10d6 attacks and 18-20 defenses facing off against a single villain with a 12d6 attack and 25-30 defenses. 

But the "solo villains" in 1e quickly became the standard players built their characters to, leaving a Starburst who could land and markedly lower his defenses to fire a 10d6 Blast and the Geodesics behind in favour of a 12d6 attack and 25-30 defenses becoming the standard.

3 hours ago, Hugh Neilson said:

My recollection of the Geodesics is that they appeared designed as starting characters, like Crusader and Starburst, where the other villains seemed designed as more powerful adversaries, often as one villain to fight a team of PCs.  So 4 PCs with 8-10d6 attacks and 18-20 defenses facing off against a single villain with a 12d6 attack and 25-30 defenses. 

But the "solo villains" in 1e quickly became the standard players built their characters to, leaving a Starburst who could land and markedly lower his defenses to fire a 10d6 Blast and the Geodesics behind in favour of a 12d6 attack and 25-30 defenses becoming the standard.

That seems to be what I’m finding out. Even though the 3 sample characters in 2ed are built as 200 pts. I believe I saw the suggested starting points are supposed to be 225 pts. At those levels 20-25 pts make a big difference! 

I was thinking about what I'd like to see for Hero last night and I realized a big book of Talents (and maybe Perks) would be pretty useful. Even if they were Powers-As-Talents, I really think a book of this level would be handy. Each chapter could dive into one of the big concepts (Fantasy, Action, Supers, Sci-Fi, Horror, etc.) with a bunch of new Talents to choose from. Some may emulate what other games called "Class Abilities," while some may be original to the Hero System. Size could be around the HS Skills book that came out. 

5 hours ago, Sketchpad said:

I was thinking about what I'd like to see for Hero last night and I realized a big book of Talents (and maybe Perks) would be pretty useful. Even if they were Powers-As-Talents, I really think a book of this level would be handy. Each chapter could dive into one of the big concepts (Fantasy, Action, Supers, Sci-Fi, Horror, etc.) with a bunch of new Talents to choose from. Some may emulate what other games called "Class Abilities," while some may be original to the Hero System. Size could be around the HS Skills book that came out. 

That is actually a great idea and one that would be useful, not only for experienced players but new ones as well.

While they achieved their objective in sanitizing everything down to the lowest possible building block, such as Secret ID being a social complication.  They forget that it is easier for players to just call it Secret ID. 

Not precisely the same thing as your thought, but close enough for this thread.

A book of "Talent" builds would be extremely useful for people who just want to play today and get into esoteric build theory later.

9 hours ago, Sketchpad said:

I like this idea.  I'd suggest only putting the Talent descriptions and the critical "how this actually works in play" information in the main part of the book.  The "under the hood" details of how the Talent was constructed from other Powers and such, I would put in an appendix at the back of the book (or maybe even put it in a free PDF download for folks who are interested, and don't put it in the book itself at all). 

5 hours ago, Spence said:

That is actually a great idea and one that would be useful, not only for experienced players but new ones as well.

While they achieved their objective in sanitizing everything down to the lowest possible building block, such as Secret ID being a social complication.  They forget that it is easier for players to just call it Secret ID. 

Not precisely the same thing as your thought, but close enough for this thread.

A book of "Talent" builds would be extremely useful for people who just want to play today and get into esoteric build theory later.

Thanks!

51 minutes ago, Derek Hiemforth said:

I like this idea.  I'd suggest only putting the Talent descriptions and the critical "how this actually works in play" information in the main part of the book.  The "under the hood" details of how the Talent was constructed from other Powers and such, I would put in an appendix at the back of the book (or maybe even put it in a free PDF download for folks who are interested, and don't put it in the book itself at all). 

Thanks! And I totally agree. I think the builds being available as a DLC would be awesome.

1 hour ago, Derek Hiemforth said:

Emphasis mine

Yes, yes, YES!

On 4/19/2021 at 7:18 PM, Derek Hiemforth said:

Yes!  Very similar to how I make character sheets for convention games; effects are on the sheet, I have the build in case it becomes relevant.  I ran "Nazi Death Zombies of the Congo!" this way.  What the player cares about the elephant rifle:  It hits *hard*.  Accurate at long range. Two shots, then takes time to reload.  So make those shots count.

On 4/19/2021 at 7:18 PM, Derek Hiemforth said:

On 4/21/2021 at 6:57 PM, SCUBA Hero said:

Yes!  Very similar to how I make character sheets for convention games; effects are on the sheet, I have the build in case it becomes relevant.  I ran "Nazi Death Zombies of the Congo!" this way.  What the player cares about the elephant rifle:  It hits *hard*.  Accurate at long range. Two shots, then takes time to reload.  So make those shots count.

All this talk about stat format makes me wonder if there's a better stat block for Hero. Think I'll start a discussion of it...