Hogan’s Heroes

Steve

16 minutes ago, Tjack said:

I think it’s just the fact that some people are stupid.  These rumors go back to when I was a kid, long before that movie was made. These folks just hear some odd rumor, it sticks in their little pea sized brain and they convince themselves that not only did it actually happen, but that they themselves saw it.

To your other point...I agree, Auto Focus was a very interesting movie. Greg Kinnear is a much better actor than he’s generally given credit for, and Willam DeFoe (I have no idea if I spelled his name right) once again did a magnificent job portraying a creepy reptile that walks like a human being.  He and James Woods should go into business together.

Well, Bob Crain IRL could be a bit creepy himself. He had a free pass in his open marriage and he ruined it for himself for being too open.

But enough about Bob Crain. Forget about the actor, let's focus on the character, Cornel Hogan. 

On 2/11/2021 at 1:05 PM, Christopher R Taylor said:

I'm pretty sure Schultz was just a pensioner from WWI as well, and had no skills whatsoever.  But General Burkhalter always seemed very ominous and capable.

That's almost certainly for his backstory.

I think Schultz in terms of an RPG character is better thought of as an ally of the heroes than as a buffoon enemy.  (Klink, yes, he's a buffoon enemy, and what better place for a known loyal but incompetent colonel than commander of a POW camp?)  Schultz isn't good for much at the time of the show, but he has got a cushy job in the middle of a nasty war when all is said and done, and it's in his interest to see the situation continue.  The "I see NOTHINK!" is more a way to signal the heroes that they'd better tone it down a bit to keep things inobvious than anything else.

1 hour ago, Cancer said:

That's almost certainly for his backstory.

I think Schultz in terms of an RPG character is better thought of as an ally of the heroes than as a buffoon enemy.  (Klink, yes, he's a buffoon enemy, and what better place for a known loyal but incompetent colonel than commander of a POW camp?)  Schultz isn't good for much at the time of the show, but he has got a cushy job in the middle of a nasty war when all is said and done, and it's in his interest to see the situation continue.  The "I see NOTHINK!" is more a way to signal the heroes that they'd better tone it down a bit to keep things inobvious than anything else.

By those criteria I think Schultz would be more of a GM’s NPC rather than either a straight up ally or enemy. ( I happened to kill a good chunk of yesterday flipping channels back and forth from the weekly marathon on the Sundance channel.)
   In one episode he’s in Paris with Hogan and LeBeau dressed as a general to help get a rare painting copied and in the next he’s frustrating the Heroes because they can’t get some information out of him about the location of an atomic research lab.

He not really a threat to their operations, but he’s also not a reliable asset.

I remember that. It was about style rather than an actual recreation. Doing VIPER as buffoons and the PC’s as the merry tricksters.

I never liked that myself, I liked having my players break into a cold sweat when “the snakes” showed up.

Your mileage may vary.

On 3/16/2021 at 6:10 PM, SCUBA Hero said:

I was re-reading 4E Viper last week.  There is a (small) section on playing Hogan's Heroes Viper.

Unfortunately, I'm travelling at the moment and don't have it handy.

4ed VIPER seemed more like Galactor than nazi bafoons. They got an energy being leader who doesn't quite understand mankind (the real Supreme Serpent), a child-like mentalist (Mind Whipe), the only things missing is the crazy genderbender and the fake aristocrat.