Flight requiring two foci

MDBear

My character concept is, in short, "Winged Gorilla". (He's also a brilliant scientist/gadgeteer, but that doesn't figure into this question...)

His wings aren't strong enough for him to fly with them alone, because he's a big gorilla. He can glide with them, though. 

If he's wearing an anti-gravity harness, the wings allow him to generate thrust and maneuverability so he can fly, though without much speed or nimbleness.

What's the best way to build that in 6E? 

This is Hero.  There is no One True Way.  I would consider:

Flight, Gliding only, Restrainable Wings, plus

Removal of Gliding Only limitation, OIF Flight Harness

So maybe that is 20 meters flight, Gliding (-1), Restrainable (-1/2) 20 AP, 8 RP

It would be 20 AP, 13 RP if it was just Restrainable, so the Harness is removing 5 points of limitations at -1/2, so 3 points for that.

OR

a Multipower of the Gliding power and Flight, OIF Harness, restrainable wings.  That one will not likely be point-efficient.

OR

20 m Flight, Restrainable (-1/2), Variable Limitations (either Gliding Only or the harness; -1/4).  That one is clean and gets you 20 AP, 11 Real Points.  Cleaner and cheaper?  SOLD!  That's my pick.

OK, guys, start posting the dozen or so better ideas than mine which will be up inside of two hours :)

On 3/6/2021 at 11:35 AM, Hugh Neilson said:

20 m Flight, Restrainable (-1/2), Variable Limitations (either Gliding Only or the harness; -1/4).  That one is clean and gets you 20 AP, 11 Real Points.  Cleaner and cheaper?  SOLD!  That's my pick.

I like this cause I feel this is a good situation to use variable limitation.

Another idea though would be just to buy Flight and put on Side Effect: Remove Harness and Flight defaults to Gliding. Not sure about the actual limitation value off hand.

There is no mechanism really in Hero to designate sets of things, such as a pair of guns or a set of powers that are in, say, your OIF jetpack as opposed to your OIF boots.  You define them as such with special effects and the way you describe the power.

In this case, having two wings isn't really a greater limitation because you know, having one wing taken out makes you crash if you have one or two; either way its a fail.

3 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:
In this case, having two wings isn't really a greater limitation because you know, having one wing taken out makes you crash if you have one or two; either way its a fail.

Two points:

1) Where did you get the the two wings from?

2) And as you stated, this is Hero, thusly removing a wing doesn’t cause you to crash automatically. Removing the Power Flight does that.

In case people are new and wondering, Focus was used to simulate wings before Physical Manifestations were created. There were many a winged hero and villain in 4ed and below with OIF Wings which was used to simulate natural wings. They couldn't be taken away, but could be targeted and harmed.

And remember that not all focui are objects you could take away. Are the wings natural? If so, the wings itself could be Physical Manifestations.

4 hours ago, Hugh Neilson said:

Actually, all foci are objects you can take away.  If it requires surgery, it's not a Focus limitation.

We used to see a lot of OIF for natural wings (and WolverClones with IIF: Unobtainium Skeleton), then the rules were fixed and we started seeing Restrainable wings.

Yes. Restranable also. Physical Manifestation only governs "can it be destroyed" questions. Restranable answers "can I grab it" questions.