Hero's Resource

tiger

Thinking of a new product called Hero's Resource. It would consist of a three groups that heroes (PCs) can turn to for help and information. The groups would be The Guardians, a good guy group akin to the Avengers, The Watchers of Avalon, a supernatural group guarding this dimension from threats from other dimensions and the League of Champions, the original Champions from way back when. This material is owned by Heroic Publishing and they are graciously allowing me to use.

Would this be something of interest? What information for the groups would you like to see?

Personally, I already use groups lifted from other sources for such purposes, so I don't have a need for it. But "modular" support groups in a single package seems convenient for people looking to add those options.

However, I would like to know what distinguishes the two NPC superhero teams, the Guardians and the League of Champions. What do you see each providing that the other doesn't?

For my part, I think some type of technology-based "super agency" like SHIELD would probably make a more useful support group. Maybe less guns and helicarriers, more intelligence resources.

No offense but they already exist. The Champions as the Avengers/JLA group.  The Circle as the preeminent magical defenders. Both of whom can be found in the Strike Force sourcebook.

And either Strike Force itself or The Protectors from the To Protect and Serve sourcebook.

I tend to suggest the Strike Force book as the best GM’s resource available for any type of role playing game. It has not only a lot of useful Hero Games material but Aaron Allston did a marvelous job of recounting how to run a game over a long time and still make it fun for the player and the GM.

A new edition can be found for sale on this website.  I don’t make a dime off it but I consider it a good investment and a good read.

While I would love the stats of "the (original) Guardians" (currently renamed "the League of Champions"), you would need the ok of so many people to be laughable. It is not enough to just get Dennis Mahoney's ok, as he tried to put a Kickstarter for a RPG supplement himself, for another system, and failed. Could the bad blood between them poison this project?

And what Tjack said. HERO directly and indirectly have such a group. You CAN prehaps recreate The Circle, but maybe the Aaron Allston estate wants to find someone to write the books up their way. 

21 minutes ago, steriaca said:

And what Tjack said. HERO directly and indirectly have such a group. You CAN prehaps recreate The Circle, but maybe the Aaron Allston estate wants to find someone to write the books up their way. 

There may be a copy of the Circle/M.E.T.E sourcebook for sale online for a reasonable price.  Even if the write-ups are  out of date the more important background material would still be helpful.

Or the Trove. com. may have it for someone to read.

The Guardians are my creation where the League of Champions are the original hero group introduce in Champions, Giant, Flare, Marksman and such.

The Watchers if Avalon is quite different from Circle. The group is neither good or bad and rarely takes sides, though individual members may, in the conflicts in a super's world. They merely watch over this dimension and protect it from the forces of other dimensions using the forces of this world to do so.

9 minutes ago, tiger said:

The Guardians are my creation where the League of Champions are the original hero group introduce in Champions, Giant, Flare, Marksman and such.

Understood. But I'm still not seeing what having two NPC superhero teams, explicitly dedicated as PC support, brings to that support that couldn't be provided by just one or the other. What's different in the support each offers?

12 minutes ago, tiger said:

The Watchers if Avalon is quite different from Circle. The group is neither good or bad and rarely takes sides, though individual members may, in the conflicts in a super's world. They merely watch over this dimension and protect it from the forces of other dimensions using the forces of this world to do so.

Got it, and that seems of practical benefit. I tend to use the Nagas, from The Ultimate Mystic, to fill that particular niche for my games.

4 hours ago, tiger said:

You realize that The Guardians were the original name of the team called The League of Champions, right?

16 hours ago, tiger said:

Thinking of a new product called Hero's Resource. It would consist of a three groups that heroes (PCs) can turn to for help and information. The groups would be The Guardians, a good guy group akin to the Avengers, The Watchers of Avalon, a supernatural group guarding this dimension from threats from other dimensions and the League of Champions, the original Champions from way back when. This material is owned by Heroic Publishing and they are graciously allowing me to use.

Would this be something of interest? What information for the groups would you like to see?

It would be of interest. But since I have no disposable income, I could not be an actual customer.

As for the information, when I see a group of NPC heroes, I want:

Full write up for each current member (most important thing).

Preferred pairings when they're forced to split up or are patrolling in small groups. (If they show up in the PC's town looking for something, is Flare likely to be paired off with Marksman or would she be paired up with Giant?)

Do they patrol and if they do, are they out there trying to stop street crime like muggings? Looking mostly for bigger stuff like organized crime/drugs? Supers only?

At least a description of former members, prefer a writeup but at least a description.

Their base. I don't necessarily need a map of it but I'd want to know their lab capability, computer, AI, and general defenses.

Their vehicle(s) but okay if not included as a full writeup.

How they fit into their city. Length of time in the city (months? years? decades?). Relationship with police and city government. Relationship with PRIMUS or other governmental groups.

Any particular bad blood between the team and major villains/organizations/other hero teams.

59 minutes ago, tiger said:

I'm not 100% sure I'm going to release it as a book, although that's what I'm leaning toward. I could just make them part of my SID line. Just want to see what people thought and what they'd like to see

Sorry, I didn’t mean to rain on your parade.  I just thought I could save you some steps. Best of luck on the venture.

5 hours ago, steriaca said:

You realize that The Guardians were the original name of the team called The League of Champions, right?

5 hours ago, tiger said:

Nope. The Guardians original name was Justice Inc. Jason preferred I rename them 😁

Actually, Stanley has it right. The League of Champions characters started out as PCs in the first Champions playtest campaign, with Bruce Harlick, Glenn Thain, Stacey Lawrence et al, under the team name of the Guardians. That was changed to the Champions for the original Eclipse Comics series starring them, for the name recognition of the RPG. Dennis Mallonee changed the name again for legal purposes when he acquired the rights to publish the characters.

1 hour ago, Lord Liaden said:

Actually, Stanley has it right. The League of Champions characters started out as PCs in the first Champions playtest campaign, with Bruce Harlick, Glenn Thain, Stacey Lawrence et al, under the team name of the Guardians. That was changed to the Champions for the original Eclipse Comics series starring them, for the name recognition of the RPG. Dennis Mallonee changed the name again for legal purposes when he acquired the rights to publish the characters.

I knew they were the original champions campaign group. I did not know however they were called the Guardians originally

4 hours ago, tiger said:

Good news! I just finished a talk with Dennis over at heroic publishing. and he suggested that I include not only the original group but the new characters that they've brought in such a Spark Plug, Icicle and such. So it looks like their particular book will get a little bit bigger

Sparkplug is a heroic reimagining of the supervillain Pointsetta. Icicle is Icicle.