Cyclic power that builds up

Tech

I'm looking to build a villain who uses a 5d6 Blast attack. Not very effective. However, in the next attack phase, his power starts charging up and he gets to add +3d6 for a total of 8d6 Blast. The following phase is an additional +3d6 for a total of 11d6 and finally the next phase culminates in +3d6 for a total of 14d6. At this point, the power is spent and it drops back down to 5d6, which starts the powering up cycle again. How would you build this?

Note: the power builds up regardless of whether the blast hits or causes stun damage.

Well he starts out with the base 5d6 Blast.

Then add +3d6 Blast, Linked with a Delayed Phase, only to activate.

Then another +3d6 Blast, Linked to this with a Delayed Phase, only to activate,

And one last +3d6 Blast, Linked to the previous, also with Delayed Phase , only to activate.

And finally a Limitation for the additions Blasts as a group to restart Activation after firing the total blast.

I think you could also do this with Trigger but  I'm not a big user of that so I'll leave that exercise to others.   

I think you can keep it simple:

Cycling Blast Base Level 5d6 Blast

Cycling Blast Powering Up +3d6 Blast (8d6 total), Not on first attack of 4-attack cycle (-¼)

Cycling Blast Moar Power +3d6 Blast (11d6 total), Not on first two attacks of 4-attack cycle (-1)

Cycling Blast FULL POWER!!! +3d6 Blast (14d6 total), Only on last attack of 4-attack cycle (-1½)

Doug

Cycling Blast UNLIMITED POWER +3d6 Blast, Only vs Mace Windu (-2)

1 hour ago, Tjack said:

What you’re going for could be considered the Energy Blast’s version of a Haymaker Punch.

Like the Wave Motion Gun in Star Blazers.

Tj, if you're suggesting using a Haymaker for the power, it falls far short of the concept. Chris T, a nice variation but more complicated than dougmac's.

Grail's build...I don't believe the Linked does what's desired.  Linked makes it a separate power and defenses should apply *separately* as I read things.  Adding more dice to the base attack can't be done with Linked.

Trigger's actually an interesting notion.  The structure would be like Doug's:

Tickle:  5d6;  cannot be used in a Multiple Attack 

Slap:  +3d6, trigger (Tickle), resets automatically, trigger expires in a phase

Smack:  +3d6, trigger (Slap), etc.

Smackdown!:  +3d6, trigger (Smack), etc.

But the Trigger's costing you points, whereas this really should have an increasing Limitation...it's harder and harder to use each shot.  Doug's limitation values fit with Limited Power (power loses 1/3, 1/2, 2/3 of its effectiveness, respectively) and that feels about right to me.  I'd rephrase it into trigger-like language:

Tickle:  5d6

Slap:  +3d6, only in the phase immediately after Tickle

Smack:  +3d6, only in the phase immediately after Slap

Smackdown:  +3d6, only in the phase immediately after Smack

Where those are Limited Power conditions.  This is more in the Hero powers language, but it's the same notion.

4 hours ago, Tech said:

Tj, if you're suggesting using a Haymaker for the power, it falls far short of the concept. Chris T, a nice variation but more complicated than dougmac's.

No, I have no opinion on which build would be better.  I was just imagining how it would look and act in role-play.

The WMG is the classic for the “Wait for it....Wait for it....BA-BOOOOOM!!!!

19 hours ago, unclevlad said:

Grail's build...I don't believe the Linked does what's desired.  Linked makes it a separate power and defenses should apply *separately* as I read things.  Adding more dice to the base attack can't be done with Linked.

Trigger's actually an interesting notion.  The structure would be like Doug's:

Tickle:  5d6;  cannot be used in a Multiple Attack 

Slap:  +3d6, trigger (Tickle), resets automatically, trigger expires in a phase

Smack:  +3d6, trigger (Slap), etc.

Smackdown!:  +3d6, trigger (Smack), etc.

But the Trigger's costing you points, whereas this really should have an increasing Limitation...it's harder and harder to use each shot.  Doug's limitation values fit with Limited Power (power loses 1/3, 1/2, 2/3 of its effectiveness, respectively) and that feels about right to me.  I'd rephrase it into trigger-like language:

Tickle:  5d6

Slap:  +3d6, only in the phase immediately after Tickle

Smack:  +3d6, only in the phase immediately after Slap

Smackdown:  +3d6, only in the phase immediately after Smack

Where those are Limited Power conditions.  This is more in the Hero powers language, but it's the same notion.

You're right, Linked does make it a separate power.

You do need to change your wording slightly.  Slap needs to work in the next 3 phases after Tickle and Smack needs to work in the next 2. Otherwise you do 8d6 using a different combo each phase after the first.