2021-2022 NFL Thread

Starlord

1 hour ago, Pariah said:

Aaron Rodgers, the defending MVP of the National Football League, got benched in the game against the Saints.

One game does not a season make, but if this is any indication at all, it's going to be a long, unpleasant season in Green Bay.

Recognize why.  It was 10 minutes left and the score was 38-3.    Granted, that's cause for concern, but week 1 is week 1...The Packers weren't ready to play.  They weren't the only team in that boat.

Given the other teams in that division, they have time to improved.  

I hope they don't, personally, but even a terrible season for Rodgers won't decrease his free agent value that much, most likely.  

This is true. However, given what a prima donna Rogers has demonstrated himself to be in the past I can't help but think that taking him out is going to make him feel more disrespected, more bitter, more whatever. I expect the Packers quarterback room is going to be colder and tenser, at least for the next couple of weeks.

*munches popcorn*

Grant the prima donna, but 38-3 is 38-3.  Continuing to play your starting QB is ridiculous.

Game recaps are also puttling a good bit of the blame on Aaron for poor play.  Mind, we do have to wonder where his head really *is* despite ending his holdout.  

OK.  Time out.  Coach says "it was an embarassing performance."  Rodgers goes "it's just one game."

Yeah...we'll have to see, but that isn't what I want to hear.  It really makes me question where Rodgers' head is.

The Donkeys won their season opener, which hasn't happened in a few years. So that's good.

The bad news is that Jerry Jeudy suffered a high ankle sprain and is out indefinitely. 

They get an early game next week in Jacksonville, followed by the home opener against the Jets. I hate to jinx it, but a 3-0 start is definitely on the table. Pretty cool, for a team that didn't win a game in September the previous two seasons.

And the context made it SO much worse.  GW TD called back on review, 1st and goal at the half yard line, made it 2nd and 6.  They DIDN'T score.

But on the flip side, give the Raiders credit for forcing the turnover and coming back...once to tie at the end of regulation, then to get that GW score.  Can you spell "coverage breakdown'?  I knew you could.  Welcome to week 1.  And a boatload of injuries, as I understand.

Anyone else note that the networks put both stadium debuts (with actual fans in the seats) in prime slots?  

Typical Broncos.  Undefeated and tied for last.

Oh.

My.

Gosh.

NFL Live is discussing tonight's junk matchup.

Dan Orlovsky just FLAYED the Giants' offense.  "I love watching tape...but not Giants tape."  "What's the definition of insanity...doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.  That's the Giants...doing the same thing over and over and over."  "BORING."  "A good coach puts players in positions to succed.  Jason Garrett puts his players in position."

Brutal.

2 hours ago, Pariah said:

Speaking of the Giants and Washington, it occurs to me that seven wins might be enough to take the division. Meaning we could have a team with 10 losses in the playoffs. Stay tuned!

What a CLASSIC NFC East matchup!!!

Ebb and flow based on who made the last big mistake...

And the Giants made MULTIPLE mistakes on the last drive, but the last was the worst.  Heinicke moves WFT, with help from a Giants offsides (and the Giants calling their last TO to avoid too many men on the field, stopping the clock)...long FG attempt.  Always right.  Hold on!  You ask for a miracle, I give you ...the New York Giants.  OFFSIDES!!!  Five yards game can't end on a defensive foul, so an untimed down.  Kicker slips it a couple feet left...it was nice and straight, and snuck inside the upright.

Credit to Heinicke...big time raspberries to the Giants.  AGAIN.  They SHOULD be 2-0, but they have perfected the art of snatching defeat from the jaws of Victory.

Chargers have to be kicking themselves for this one.  They had 2 TDs called back due to penalties.  Got FGs on each but that's still 12 points left on the table...and the second one was just bone-headed...2 players moving at the snap.  12 penalties in total, too.  

And after the 2nd TD that was called back, Herbert still had 2nd and goal inside the 10, when he makes the bad mistake of turning around and running back.  Got hit and called for a sack which even Steratore thought was questionable...me, his bailout throw *should* be called intentional grounding as it didn't get back to the line of scrimmage.  Maybe he got hit but he was falling backward too.  The mistake was not throwing it away;  trying to make a miracle play turned something neutral into something very bad...3rd and goal at the 25.

They did more good things than the Cowboys, but negated things with the ill-timed mistakes.

The Broncos are now 3-0, largely by virtue of beating arguably the three worst teams in the NFL. Things get much tougher next week when the Ravens come to town. Hopefully the Denver defense won't give away a game by leaving a receiver completely uncovered in the last minutes of the 4th quarter.

On 9/19/2021 at 10:33 PM, Pariah said:

After two weeks, there remain two undefeated teams in the AFC: the Raiders and the Broncos.

I can't remember the last time Denver had a better record than Kansas City this late in the season. 

Jets are 0-3.

Giants are 0-3.

Jags are 0-3.

I'm seeing a pattern here....  That said, KC hasn't got their act together, too, so make hay while the sun shines.