2021-2022 NFL Thread

Starlord

In the last 2+ minutes of the 4th quarter of a tied game, the Packers miss 2 FG attempts and the Bengals miss one, then in OT, both teams miss another FG attempt each until finally with less than 2 minutes left in OT, the Packers finally end the game on a FG, ending a string of 5 missed FG attempts.

There was no appreciable wind. 

And the Raiders lose at home to the Bears?  

Are we beginning to see reality sink in?  Bears didn't move the ball consistently...but did have 2 drives.  Raiders helped big time on the first...roughing the passer *twice*, the first on 2nd and 22 at the Bears 20, and holding in the red zone.  3 free first downs.  Nothing like that on the second.  But the Raiders did absolutely nothing on offense.  Both teams barely broke 250 yards.  Glad I missed that one.

Russell Wilson will miss at least the next 3 games.  Unless they can suddenly find an offense without him, and with the starts of the Cards and Rams, the season may be more or less over before he gets back.

And...please...tell me it's a nightmare.  The Cowboys might be competent....???  NOOO!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT:  I've had baseball on tonight.  SNF kicks at 6:30 my time;  it's 10:15 now, so 3:45 so far...and there's still 6 minutes left.  Anyone watching...why has this game been SOO SLOW??  OU-Texas took forever but there were over 100 points scored.  12 TDs, 6 FGs so 18 kickoffs.  Those are always like pulling off the highway to get gas...even if it's right off the exit, it STILL eats up 20 minutes, no matter what.

And secondary question...box score suggests the KC defense has been pathetic.  Comments from the observers?

The Seahawk fanblogs are acting as if the apocalypse was in progress and are calling for everything short of execution for defensive coordinator Kan Norton and head coach Pete Carroll.  I find this amusing because, frankly, there isn't a whole lot of difference between this year and last in terms of the Seattle squad; they got really lucky IMO last year and got some W's that were not, IMO, particularly well earned.  The fanbloggers bought into a bunch of hype which had a bunch of W's behind it but not as much good fundamental football as they prefer to think. 

What has changed is half of the NFC West (I am not convinced that the 49ers have made a lot of progress on their problems).  By contrast, Seattle found themselves in something of an all-time low in terms of draft picks to trade for other stuff they wanted this last off-season.  There really wasn't much they could do this last off-season.

Now ... Norton IMO has done not a lot to merit his position, but his personnel is not what Seattle had back 8 years ago.  Carroll has (or had) a rep for spotting and building great defensive backs, but having Chancellor and Thomas and Sherman -- by whatever means -- will do that for you.  Carroll's preferred offense works fine if you have a Marshawn Lynch, and not so fine if you have a mere mortal for a RB.  And Wilson -- who just set the record for fastest QB to 100 career TDs -- is about to miss the first start of his career.  Their offensive coordinator is new this season, and even rabid fans seem to think that it's too early to be calling for his head yet.  I think two weeks is the over/under on the calls for the guillotines for him too.

Yeesh.

Ignorant, hateful man-child...yeesh.  I generally don't judge people on one incident, but this was apparently a pattern over years.  This is the kind of neanderthal white guy talk that goes on behind-the-scenes that folks try to justify as just having fun but when its done over and over it just makes a statement of who you really are - racist, misogynistic and anti-gay.

At least for me, part of my issue with Gruden was simply facial expressions...he always seemed to be snarling, and that predisposes me to think that's *him*.  And his attitude has always turned me off.  So, no, I don't think we're judging just on this.  That said, I'm still very surprised it went down this way SO quickly.  But I shan't miss him.

Oh...it wasn't one incident.  

Copied from a story in the NYT:

He denounced the emergence of women as referees, the drafting of a gay player and the tolerance of players protesting during the playing of the national anthem, according to emails reviewed by The Times.

Gruden’s messages were sent to Bruce Allen, the former president of the Washington Football Team, and others, while he was working for ESPN as a color analyst during “Monday Night Football.” In the emails, Gruden called the league’s commissioner, Roger Goodell, a “faggot” and a “clueless anti football pussy” and said that Goodell should not have pressured Jeff Fisher, then the coach of the Rams, to draft “queers,” a reference to Michael Sam, a gay player chosen by the team in 2014.

So he's got no chance of getting a public-facing job related to football, like another stint on MNF.  This is beyond toxic.  So...no, with THESE coming out...I'm not even slightly surprised now.  

And I daresay we can probably write the Raiders off for this year and probably next year.  Figure that this year, the team's gonna be discombobulated for several weeks.  Carr is hosed.  Whoever the Raiders play?  If ya wanna bet, take the other team and give the points.....  (NOTE TO SELF:  It's Denver -2 1/2 or -3 1/2...be interesting to watch the line.)

Colts 22-3?  WOW.  Color me stunned.  (Watching baseball again.)

13 hours ago, unclevlad said:

At least for me, part of my issue with Gruden was simply facial expressions...he always seemed to be snarling, and that predisposes me to think that's *him*.  And his attitude has always turned me off.  So, no, I don't think we're judging just on this.  That said, I'm still very surprised it went down this way SO quickly.  But I shan't miss him.

Oh...it wasn't one incident.  

Copied from a story in the NYT:

So he's got no chance of getting a public-facing job related to football, like another stint on MNF.  This is beyond toxic.  So...no, with THESE coming out...I'm not even slightly surprised now.  

And I daresay we can probably write the Raiders off for this year and probably next year.  Figure that this year, the team's gonna be discombobulated for several weeks.  Carr is hosed.  Whoever the Raiders play?  If ya wanna bet, take the other team and give the points.....  (NOTE TO SELF:  It's Denver -2 1/2 or -3 1/2...be interesting to watch the line.)

I can't believe the Raiders didn't know about these prominent displays of jackassery. This is going to be a deserved PR nightmare for them.

56 minutes ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

I can't believe the Raideers didn't know about these prominent displays of jackassery. This is going to be a deserved PR nightmare for them.

Looks like most of them were to Bruce Allen of Washington.  Story is, they only came to light because of the complaints about Washington's culture.  One can presume that, to a degree at least, Allen was a sympathetic ear, so...why would he inform anyone else?

Arguably, the organization with more egg is ESPN and thereby Disney.  

13 hours ago, unclevlad said:

Colts 22-3?  WOW.  Color me stunned.  (Watching baseball again.)

You jinxed them by stopping watching as they blew that lead (especially as their kicker apparently was hurt and got one kick blocked and missed the one that would have basically won game with no time left).

2 hours ago, slikmar said:

You jinxed them by stopping watching as they blew that lead (especially as their kicker apparently was hurt and got one kick blocked and missed the one that would have basically won game with no time left).

One does what one can, but I hardly think I can take credit.  IMO it takes a special skill to blow a 19 point second half lead.  Granted, that skill seems to be sufficiently broadly distributed throughout all sports, that one can question whether it still counts as special.

Writing in The Undefeated, William C Rhoden is calling for the NFL to act against...not Gruden, but those with whom he communicated, should they have been receptive to his rants.  Apparently 650,000 emails are under review.  MANY of them will be innocuous...probably the overwhelming majority.  But even 5% would be 3000+, and one can ask how many of these were finding acceptance.  It's beginning to look like this might be the racist/sexist equivalent of Ray Rice, where the case triggers a significant shift in how the behavior is perceived.  Gruden himself is now done...but he's almost certainly not unique.  While Rhoden's position smacks, to a degree, of a witch hunt, I don't think it can be rejected out of hand either.  

That said, I suspect the league will be very reticent to do so;  the negative publicity risk is huge.  BUT we'll have to see if they have any choice.

Oh my...the league doesn't have egg on its face, it's getting the contents of ALL the castle's chamber pots for this one.

NYT has been reviewing the WFT emails...that's the 650K, some of which caught out Gruden.  This time...it's Jeff Pash.  The League's general counsel, AKA, top legal advisor.  They show an extremely chummy relationship with Bruce Allen, the WFT president.  Chummy, far past the point of conflict of interest.  They show, at least with respect to the WFT, serious collusion;  they suggest that a)  there may have been extensive cover-ups (not like the League's ever been known for transparency in anything), and b) if this was happening with WFT, then *who else* was it happening with?  It calls into question the fundamental integrity of League operations.

Might end up being paywalled but there's a free articles limit too, so...

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/14/sports/football/nfl-washington-emails-jeff-pash.html?campaign_id=190&emc=edit_ufn_20211015&instance_id=42926&nl=updates-from-the-newsroom&regi_id=113845647&segment_id=71734&te=1&user_id=28eb1fcc2379276d2188e9c54459de83