2021-2022 NFL Thread

Starlord

My only quibble is a detail, that Seattle dropped out of Super Bowl appearances for an additional reason besides Wilson's rookie contract running out; Father Time caught up with Marshawn Lynch about the same time, and an argument can be made that there hasn't been a power RB of his caliber since.

57 minutes ago, Cancer said:

My only quibble is a detail, that Seattle dropped out of Super Bowl appearances for an additional reason besides Wilson's rookie contract running out; Father Time caught up with Marshawn Lynch about the same time, and an argument can be made that there hasn't been a power RB of his caliber since.

If we tweak the sense of this...that they became too pass-happy and thereby lost balance...I'd probably agree.  
Can't ignore that the salary issues in the secondary also started causing attrition around that point too.

Salary data from Over the Cap...in terms of cap number, which is what matters for overall roster construction, for 2020 the ranking was Dak, Russell, Goff, Jimmy G, Rivers, Brady, Big Ben, Brees, Tannehill, Rodgers, Derek Carr, Jacoby Brissett, Stafford, Cousins.  How many good years were in there?  Who's conspicuously missing?  Patrick Mahomes, first and foremost;  it was the last year of his rookie deal.  He had a $5M cap hit and got paid a net of $10M last year;  this year, it's $45M.  Lamar Jackson has 2 more years on his.deal, but the Ravens only have one more cheap year.  His 2021 salary+bonus and cap hit is only $3M.  His 2022 salary and cap hit is.....$23M.

Quite a few of the teams from that list didn't exactly light up the win column.

Can you begin to imagine how the locker room might fracture, if that forces them to forfeit a game...and thereby, force everyone to lose a game check?

Or *God forbid* if Rivera catches it, and things go UGLY???  Radiation and chemo! do NOT leave the immune system in good shape.  I suspect that alone would put him at VERY high relative risk for a severe to fatal case.

Yeah...Washington used to have the Hogs.  Now they've just got selfish pigs...

On the lighter side...yes, indeed.  Football Ad Season hath officially begun.  Got the Yankees-Rays game on...and up pops a Mahomes-Polamalu Head and Shoulders ad.  First one for the year....

The first preseason game of the year is....

Thursday.

That is blowing my mind a little.

It's baaaaaaaackkkk..............................

Kinda, anyway.  They're very useful for the coaches, but I cannot fathom why some people live and die on what goes on in them.  The most important news is the post-game injury report.

3 hours ago, unclevlad said:

The first preseason game of the year is....

Thursday.

That is blowing my mind a little.

It's baaaaaaaackkkk..............................

Kinda, anyway.  They're very useful for the coaches, but I cannot fathom why some people live and die on what goes on in them.  The most important news is the post-game injury report.

There are roughly 50 guys on each team that care a great deal about what goes on in these games. It's their chance to show that deserve to keep or earn that 300K job they've worked their entire lives for. And those guys have families, friends and fans stretching back to their high school days. As for the fans of the team, well the saying "Hope springs eternal" covers that. And anything that gets our minds off these abnormal times for just a few hours is welcome.

Oh, the preseason's a very big deal for the players on the fringe, no question.  There's probably 30-35 players who don't have to worry much;  they have to blow it to get cut.  The last 10-15 game-day slots are huge.  Even the practice squad slots mean your dream's very much alive;  the pay's not bad, and you're there, still able to impress the coaches.

Just read the new roster rules.  90 man roster...cut to 85 on the 17th, 80 on the 24th, then the major cut to 53 on the 31st.  Each of those is a couple days after the 3 preseason games.  

But this also means, there's gonna be a LOT of players to get on film in all 3 games.  Which means the front-line players are very likely to see very limited action...nothing overly new there, of course.  Wouldn't surprise me, tho, that it's less than it has been.  But that's a big reason why I can't get vested in it...many of those guys won't make the team.  Selfish attitude, perhaps, but couple that with the fact that the score's totally irrelevant...and I just have zero interest.

I also suspect...if the coaches are focusing on the end of the bench, then the first few weeks will be even more chaotic.  For the last few years, I felt the first 4 regular season games were effectively "preseason" in terms of execution.  It might be longer this year.

Bills ownership wants a new $1.5B stadium, entirely taxpayer-funded. Will they get it?

Austin emerges as possible relocation spot for Bills amid new Orchard Park stadium negotiations, per report

I don't see the Bills leaving Buffalo. I think this is a game of chicken. But I didn't see the Chargers leaving San Diego to sleep on the couch at the Rams' fancy new stadium either, so what do I know?

18 minutes ago, Pariah said:

Bills ownership wants a new $1.5B stadium, entirely taxpayer-funded. Will they get it?

Austin emerges as possible relocation spot for Bills amid new Orchard Park stadium negotiations, per report

I don't see the Bills leaving Buffalo. I think this is a game of chicken. But I didn't see the Chargers leaving San Diego to sleep on the couch at the Rams' fancy new stadium either, so what do I know?

I'm sure the Rams have at least one other couch at their fancy new stadium.

1 hour ago, Pariah said:

I don't see the Bills leaving Buffalo. I think this is a game of chicken.

No.  It's extortion, as it almost always is, unless a facility is seriously below par.

1 hour ago, Cancer said:

Not clear to me that a location between Houston and Dallas-Ft Worth is a viable long-term NFL site.  Especially if the established clubs do the hidden Texas politics thing to keep out competition, which I fully expect.

Or how about just squeezing the other NFL owners?  That is definitely crowding both existing franchises.  2021 NFL Map

Found this one on a site called sportleaguemaps.com.  Not that many viable holes there.  The bloc of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, and the Dakotas...no base city.  I don't see Utah clamoring for one.  New Mexico/West Texas...no way.  Portland might be possible, but you'd want to realign;  Portland in the AFC East would lead to horrible travel.  In the AFC West...that works, but it means shifting KC, most likely, and breaking up the classic rivalries.  And then what...KC in the East?  Probably the South, and shift the Colts.  

The other hole might be St. Louis, but I don't see the NFL going back there...or St. Louis wanting them back.  

3 hours ago, Cancer said:

Not clear to me that a location between Houston and Dallas-Ft Worth is a viable long-term NFL site.  Especially if the established clubs do the hidden Texas politics thing to keep out competition, which I fully expect.

Dallas, San Antonio, and Houston are all cities which are in the top 10 in the US in terms of population.

Buffalo's estimated population is 254,479 and San Antonio's is 1,547,253.

I'm sure San Antonio provides some fan base to both the Dallas and Houston teams. But I don't have the impression that it provides any butts-in-seats for either city.

San Antonio is a big tourism city already and has a number of military bases nearby. So I'd guess there'd be fans of an appropriate age with money to spend on their own entertainment.

After Katrina, there was a lot of interest in moving the Saints from New Orleans to San Antonio including from the Saints owner. Jerry Jones was also on the record as being in favor of the move despite SA being in "his" territory.

New Orleans is half again as big as Buffalo.

In an Ideal scenario, if the Bills move to San Antonio, they'd play in the Alamodome until a new stadium could be built on the Northeast side of the city along I-35. That's the second most populated area of the city and it's fairly easy to get to from anywhere(40 minutes even at rush hour). That puts it one hour from south Austin also and traffic is less on weekends so the game time rush would even out.

Funny, I was going to say that in an ideal situation, Bills leadership experiences an epiphany and realizes that it is both impractical and immoral to try and extort a $1.5B stadium from a comparatively small-market city in the middle of a recession. 

Don't discount St Louis.  They had the (football) Cardinals for a long time, but the Cardinals originated in Chicago.  Then the Rams (who started in Cleveland, moved to Los Angeles, then moved to St Louis, then back to LA).  In baseball, the now Orioles started in Milwaukee, moved to St Louis for 50 years, then got bought and moved to Baltimore.

11 hours ago, Cancer said:

Don't discount St Louis.  They had the (football) Cardinals for a long time, but the Cardinals originated in Chicago.  Then the Rams (who started in Cleveland, moved to Los Angeles, then moved to St Louis, then back to LA).  In baseball, the now Orioles started in Milwaukee, moved to St Louis for 50 years, then got bought and moved to Baltimore.

That's the remote past, other than the Rams.  

Kroenke pulled out of St. Louis and left them high and dry, losing their most important tenant and leaving the city with still a sizable tab after they built the facility for them.  He ripped the stadium to shreds in justifying the departure.  Doesn't help the city that...well, yeah, common opinion was that it was one of the worst stadiums in the NFL.

That strongly suggests no team will move to St. Louis without a new stadium.  OTOH, the city has to think twice about repeating the same mistake.

16 hours ago, Pariah said:

Funny, I was going to say that in an ideal situation, Bills leadership experiences an epiphany and realizes that it is both impractical and immoral to try and extort a $1.5B stadium from a comparatively small-market city in the middle of a recession. 

Dreamer!

It would be nice but they've flirted with Toronto before(and that would still be a viable market). The only reason that the team is still there was the old ownership was loyal to the area and the fact that the NFL is less dependent on the gate than any other major sport. If you have a stadium with enough luxury boxes you can sell to the high end fans, you can draw a big enough general attendance to fill 8-10 home dates.

1 hour ago, Grailknight said:

Dreamer!

It would be nice but they've flirted with Toronto before(and that would still be a viable market). The only reason that the team is still there was the old ownership was loyal to the area and the fact that the NFL is less dependent on the gate than any other major sport. If you have a stadium with enough luxury boxes you can sell to the high end fans, you can draw a big enough general attendance to fill 8-10 home dates.

I wouldn't be surprised that a major chunk of the *profit*...not the revenue per se, but the sheer profit...is the *&#$! luxury boxes.  The stadium owner gets a large cut of the normal seating revenue...or it goes to pay the stadium financing, for Jerry's or Stan's Palaces, probably...the TV revenue substantially goes to the players, coaches, and general expenses.

This is what the suite map looks like for Jerry's Palace.  That is a LOT of suites.  The site I found this on, also lists suites available.  Field level:  $15K+.  Ring of honor, in the corner:  $19K.  Silver level, about $20K.  Hall of Fame end zone, $28K.  I'm looking at the Eagles game;  the site shows 12 suites available.  ONLY 12.

AT&T Stadium /  Suite Map and Seating Chart

22 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

I wouldn't be surprised that a major chunk of the *profit*...not the revenue per se, but the sheer profit...is the *&#$! luxury boxes.  The stadium owner gets a large cut of the normal seating revenue...or it goes to pay the stadium financing, for Jerry's or Stan's Palaces, probably...the TV revenue substantially goes to the players, coaches, and general expenses.

This is what the suite map looks like for Jerry's Palace.  That is a LOT of suites.  The site I found this on, also lists suites available.  Field level:  $15K+.  Ring of honor, in the corner:  $19K.  Silver level, about $20K.  Hall of Fame end zone, $28K.  I'm looking at the Eagles game;  the site shows 12 suites available.  ONLY 12.

AT&T Stadium /  Suite Map and Seating Chart

Yes, stadium suites and marketing deals are major factors between the richer and poorer franchises. That's why all the teams don't really want to move, they want newer and bigger palaces.