2021-2022 NFL Thread

Starlord

In one of the big leagues, revenue sharing doesn't touch the sky boxes, while the usual turnstile count does.  I think I remember that being true in the NBA, but it's been a long time since I read that.  In that situation the luxury suites are raw profit for the teams (modulo the costs of operating them).  Wouldn't surprise me if it's largely universal in US major sports.

On 8/3/2021 at 5:04 PM, unclevlad said:

I wouldn't be surprised that a major chunk of the *profit*...not the revenue per se, but the sheer profit...is the *&#$! luxury boxes.  The stadium owner gets a large cut of the normal seating revenue...or it goes to pay the stadium financing, for Jerry's or Stan's Palaces, probably...the TV revenue substantially goes to the players, coaches, and general expenses.

This is what the suite map looks like for Jerry's Palace.  That is a LOT of suites.  The site I found this on, also lists suites available.  Field level:  $15K+.  Ring of honor, in the corner:  $19K.  Silver level, about $20K.  Hall of Fame end zone, $28K.  I'm looking at the Eagles game;  the site shows 12 suites available.  ONLY 12.

AT&T Stadium /  Suite Map and Seating Chart

There's a huge business market in Dallas for suites which the team's ownership has spent decades cultivating.

If you're coming to the city in the fall for a business deal, you're expecting the business trying to sell you something is going to take you to a Cowboy's game. And if it's a big deal on the line, you're expecting to be taken to a luxury suite either owned by the business or that they've gotten for the weekend in some sort of side deal.

5 hours ago, Pariah said:

Peyton Manning's Hall of Fame induction speech was pretty amazing.

Please tell me Brad Paisley was nowhere near....

oh no.......

I just realized.......

they're going to start up again Real Soon Now...if they haven't already.  And before we know it, they'll be swarming like army ants...every channel, every show, every network...IT'S THE MANNPOCALYPSE!!!!!!!!

(There is, IMO, a group more deserving of slow, lingering, painful deaths than even lawyers.  Ad writers and producers.)

So, no doubt to Death Tribble's immense consternation, the Broncos beat the Vikings 33-6 in their first preseason game. Denver's offense was efficient, which is not something you've really been able to say for the past couple of years. Yeah it's the preseason, but it's not nothing.

Meanwhile, the current game between the Jaguars and the Browns is an aesthetic nightmare. Jacksonville in black helmets, teal jerseys, and black pants versus Cleveland in orange helmets, white jerseys, and brown pants. Woof.

(At least the Jags aren't wearing those obnoxious two-tone helmets anymore. Double woof.)

On 8/14/2021 at 5:28 PM, Pariah said:

So, no doubt to Death Tribble's immense consternation, the Broncos beat the Vikings 33-6 in their first preseason game. Denver's offense was efficient, which is not something you've really been able to say for the past couple of years. Yeah it's the preseason, but it's not nothing.

It's preseason.  Worse, it's week 1 preseason.  It's nothing.

Brett Favre, citing CTE risk, says kids shouldn't play tackle football until they are 14

Comparing tackle football to flag football, a new study from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said those who participate in tackle football are 15 times more likely to suffer a head injury in a game or practice.

7 minutes ago, Pariah said:

I agree this is important;  the CDC data and risk assessments are a big deal.

But, it's not clear to me that this will have notable impact.  It feels like the momentum behind the movement to restrict is gone, and I don't see this as enough to jumpstart it on its own.

4 hours ago, unclevlad said:

I agree this is important;  the CDC data and risk assessments are a big deal.

But, it's not clear to me that this will have notable impact.  It feels like the momentum behind the movement to restrict is gone, and I don't see this as enough to jumpstart it on its own.

Yeah, I'll admit that pee wee football was a long time ago for and that many kids today are a lot bigger than we were.

But I don't recall anyone ever getting hit with huge amounts of force.

Sure it was on occasion enough to take you off your feet but it was because the person getting hit didn't weigh very much either.

Of course we had a gap years between pee wee which had a 6th grade maximum cut off and junior high football where you basically couldn't be a starter until 9th grade.

Look up the weight limits for Pop Warner football.  For Pee Wee, the ages are 9-11, but the weight limit is 135.  And that's not gonna necessarily be a hefty kid these days.  JV is 10-12, with a max weight of 160.

And my other point of reference is Little League, as the LLWS will be starting soon.  Many of those kids are amazingly athletic, agile, and FAST.  And, come to think...in 8th grade we only had flag football, but we had some REALLY fast guys too.  That's a period where physical development is covering a very wide range.

One thing this tells me:  high hits and/or leading with the helmet have been a source of serious consternation at the major college and pro levels.  I get the issue that sometimes it seemingly can't be helped...at the pro levels.  But drop down to high school and earlier, and these numbers insist that, at the very least, the rules have to be rigorously enforced by the refs, AND supported by the coaches.  You can't stop parents from whining, but the coaches have to be 100% on board.

Tim Tebow's last hurrah in the NFL (did he really even have a firxt hurrah?) has come to an end with his release from the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Maybe now he'll finally expect that he is better off in the broadcast booth than on the field (or hopping from camp to camp hoping he'll stick).  He did well as an SEC analyst for ESPN. I think they might be happy to take him back, and if he finally becomes a broadcaster full-time he'd make a healthy living for decades. Maybe not Tony Romo numbers, but still a good living.

1 hour ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

Tim Tebow's last hurrah in the NFL (did he really even have a firxt hurrah?) has come to an end with his release from the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Hey, he did start, and for a playoff team...technically, at least.  And was a mid-first round pick...even if it was one of the more ridiculous reaches ever.  So, ok, it wasn't a very loud hurrah, but he had one.

That this happened comes, I suspect, to no one's surprise.  And the fact that it was SO early...today was the cut to 80, so he wasn't anywhere close to a roster spot...should be the sign that says, yeah, he's got no chance.

If he had any sense...and I think he does, he's never seemed the type to flush his money down the toilet like others do...he's set regardless.  Rookie contract had almost $9M guaranteed.  And an ESPN/SEC Network broadcasting gig very likely pays at least middle 6 digits.  PLUS he had quite good endorsement income.  No, he shouldn't have any financial concerns.

1 hour ago, Logan.1179 said:

Broncos named Teddy Bridgewater their starting QB.

I'm a little surprised they made the decision with one preseason game left, but I suppose it's better to settle things sooner than later.  Both guys have played pretty well (against 2nd- and 3rd-string defenses, it must be said), so I guess I wouldn't have been surprised either way.

It is interesting to me that the GM who traded for Bridgewater was also at Minnesota when Teddy was there. I'm not quite cynical enough to believe that's the reason for the decision, but I know some might be.

But hey, the Broncos have a starting QB, and all it cost them was a 6th-round draft pick.

1 hour ago, Pariah said:

It is interesting to me that the GM who traded for Bridgewater was also at Minnesota when Teddy was there. I'm not quite cynical enough to believe that's the reason for the decision, but I know some might be.

But hey, the Broncos have a starting QB, and all it cost them was a 6th-round draft pick.

You DARN SURE SHOULD believe it's a factor.  It very frequently is, IMO.  It's a pattern you can spot many times;  the prior connection runs particularly deep and can readily carry unreasonable weight.  It also suggests Lock's career may not last very long;  if he can't beat out Bridgewater, he's at serious risk of not getting another contract at all, or at best, latching on as a 3rd string emergency QB.  And it doesn't help that I saw one preseason starting-QB ranking list that had Lock as the presumed starter.  He was rated #31.

They have someone starting at QB;  that does not mean they have "a starting QB."  

When it comes to the starters...I think the preseason game time means virtually nothing.  It's important for the last roster picks, sure, but the work in practice is more important.