2021-2022 NFL Thread

Starlord

Like all good and right-thinking Americans, I *loathe* the Cowboys.  I did when they were great.  Now we add that they're *by far* the most overblown, overvalued team in all sports.

But....they're playing Brady.  And I am sick and bloody TIRED of Brady.

I can't decide if I want 41-0 Bucs....or a tie.

I choose to read the outcome as 

a)  Week 1.  Any win is OK.

b)  Let's get those Cowboy fanbois all excited that they have a chance, THEN watch them collapse yet again....

Can't say a lot more as I was watching some amazing tennis.

Andddd.............Subway's newest Brady spot just played.  God, it's terrible.....

22 hours ago, Pariah said:

The Cowboys' kicker missed two field goals and an extra point in the first half.

What's the over-under on how long he remains with the team?

One of those misses was 59, and that's forgivable.  Arguably shouldn't even have been kicked, as I think the combination of negative outcomes...kick gets blocked/bad snap, potentially with a defensive return might be low probability, but Brady maneuvering to a FG attempt back has a clear non-trivial probability...and the VERY low probability of making the kick lead me to think that the kick attempt has a negative expected value.

But...yeah, missing the other 2 definitely is not the way to improve one's job security.  He's not on the hot seat *yet* but it's a pretty big strike.

Which NFC West rival do you fear the most?

I've asked this same question of Rams writers and fans and I think that the mentality in the NFC West is fascinating:
Seahawks fans fear the Rams.
Rams fans fear the 49ers.
49ers fans fear their own quarterbacks.
And the Cardinals fan dies alone in the desert.

10 hours ago, unclevlad said:

Who else thinks that nothing so clearly demonstrates the competence of the Washington ownership than the fact that they've had well over a year, and can't come up with a name.....

It's astonishing, really. I've got a dollar that says they never come up with a new name.

I have seen more than one person say they should stay Washington Football Team. If I were a fan of the team, I would be very disappointed. Like find-another-team disappointed. 

I find it interesting that WFT made a big announcement a few weeks ago that they had narrowed down the list of possible names to three finalists ... but they didn't reveal what those three finalists were. 

Personally, I like the name "Washington Gridlock". 

13 minutes ago, Starlord said:

BENGALS WIN!  BENGALS WIN!  THEEEEEE BENGALS WIN!

Imitating John Sterling should be a capital offense. 

Gotta hand it to the Vikes.  Inside 2 minutes, in position to try a long FG, they fumble on 3rd down.  Cincy recovers.  Then on 4th and 1, they let Cincy rip off a 32 yard gain. down to the Vikes' 20.  Run a bit of clock, kick the FG, game over.

We're getting the same game, but the local stations are El Paso here, and that slides us into Texas markets.

That said, how regional-game assignments are made, are beyond the comprehension of mere mortals.  Here, I suspect it's probably simple...2 also-rans last season, or 2 playoff teams last season?  So Broncos-Giants would tend to be local markets only.

What surprises me?  Both CBS and Fox are doing doubleheaders today.  Looks like this is a week 1 only policy...you can tell the doubleheader games because they kick off at the bottom of the hour, always.  That gives room for the first game to end, with some time to cut back to the studio show for quickie scores and highlights.  I note that ESPN only has 1 game tomorrow, but that also doesn't surprise me;  I suspect kicking off that 2nd game so late, put a notable damper on ratings.

EDIT:  Just switched back to football as the US Open ended.  The Saints-Packers game is being listed as Fox's game of the week...which means it's the national game for Fox.  Which is also why it's got Buck and Aikman.  So that almost certainly says no one outside the local markets would get any other game.

29 minutes ago, Cygnia said:

The neighbors of my husband's parents are VERY vocal about the Browns' game...*sigh*

Methinks the tone of their outbursts may have changed somewhat....

Pats outgain Fins 390-260.  24 first downs to 16.  Nothing horrible on penalties, did commit one more turnover.

So who won?  Fins, 17-16.  Box score shows Pats had 3 drives...65, 67, 57...all ending in field goals.  2 of em got into the red zone, too.  Inability to finish is one of the more common ways to show yards don't matter that much.