Savage Worlds: Supers...has anyone played it?

fdw3773

5 hours ago, Duke Bushido said:

I am intrigued to note that most of the complaints that SW breaks down at high levels are so similar to my own annoyance that HERO breaks down at the lower levels.  It doesn't if your looking at if from the supers-level perspective, but if you are an adventurer with a knife and a gun, you can't help but notice that the entire party has (effectively) the identical knife and gun....   :(

You know what’s weird? Most of my games that are non Hero system really only have one type of knife and sword too. 

20 hours ago, Duke Bushido said:

I am intrigued to note that most of the complaints that SW breaks down at high levels are so similar to my own annoyance that HERO breaks down at the lower levels.  It doesn't if your looking at if from the supers-level perspective, but if you are an adventurer with a knife and a gun, you can't help but notice that the entire party has (effectively) the identical knife and gun....   :(

That has always been an issue with Hero.

One of the reasons my current Fantasy Hero build is more like Anime Fantasy than D&D Fantasy.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been playing/ GMing the Savage Worlds Rifts Version and mostly I end up using the Super Powers Companion to make characters for Rifts, while the people I play with mostly use the Iconic Frameworks.   Rifts works really great using Savage Worlds, and we haven't had any real problems with using SPC in SW Rifts.   Haven't tried playing/ using it for a straight ahead Supers game, as I prefer the Hero System.  SPC does have some issues, such as having no Detect Weird Stuff power,  but that can be solved by looking at the basic Powers list and figuring out the costs from there. 

In general Savage Worlds works really well for quite a few things,  though does have some issues, such as no Velocity Damage, say from hitting some one with a vehicle.

41 minutes ago, Roth said:

I've been playing/ GMing the Savage Worlds Rifts Version and mostly I end up using the Super Powers Companion to make characters for Rifts, while the people I play with mostly use the Iconic Frameworks.   Rifts works really great using Savage Worlds, and we haven't had any real problems with using SPC in SW Rifts.   Haven't tried playing/ using it for a straight ahead Supers game, as I prefer the Hero System.  SPC does have some issues, such as having no Detect Weird Stuff power,  but that can be solved by looking at the basic Powers list and figuring out the costs from there. 

In general Savage Worlds works really well for quite a few things,  though does have some issues, such as no Velocity Damage, say from hitting some one with a vehicle.

Question, both SPC and NE does not have Blind from SWDX. And for myself I figure to heck with it and just use the costs from the main rules and port it in. Have you done this? I really can’t see an issue with it though I’ve seen some responses on PEGforum about how “balanced” SPC is. 

• 6 months later...
On 10/16/2021 at 3:04 PM, MikiWee said:

I have been playing in a weekly game for a few years. I love it! 

Question for you. Before playing the Super hero rules for Savage Worlds, did you have any prior experience with the system?

I myself have been messing with it again but instead of Supers, I toned it to Planetary Romance. The result is I’m getting a better feel for it now.

On 4/11/2021 at 5:10 PM, Roth said:

such as no Velocity Damage, say from hitting some one with a vehicle.

When I am looking at a new Supers (or any greater than human) RPG the first things I look for is:

How it handles being hit by a large thrown object?

How it handles knockback?

You cannot have a superbattle without someone being punched by a super or be hit by a thrown object.

The term used may be different but Velocity Damage and Knockback Damage is inherent in the genre and it has to scale in response to the force applied.