Oh man....Atlanta last week. Today? Boulder...

unclevlad

Some whackjob just walked into the Table Mesa King Soopers and shot up the place.

At least 6 dead, IIRC.  Including one police officer.  They have a suspect in custody.

It's even a little more freaky cuz...it's less than 2 miles south of the CU campus, and I graduated from CU.  So, while it's been a long time, I've been there.

I just hope with all my heart that this isn't the start of another Really Bad Year for shootings.  

Yeah.

I don't recall hearing much about incidents like this last year...and I was concerned we would...but Covid Rage might've been swallowed up and channeled into other things.  Cuz the crazies are coming out now.  Another story:  a man tackled a 12 year old kid at a Micky D's, and inflicted a critical wound.  The kid is listed in stable condition now, thankfully, but geeze.  Story from a local station makes me think the attacker's rather NOT right in the head, but that to me just suggests he's probably easier to send over the edge...it doesn't consider what sent him over the edge...and whether similar factors are just starting to create a sick trend.

5 hours ago, Old Man said:

Any bets on what the “motive” was?  Workplace shooting? Voices in my head? Proud Boy initiation? Jewish orbital mind control lasers?

I gather that because it was a Rothschild space laser, and the family is all intermarried, it was, crucially, not a Jewish space laser.

I'm sure we're all glad to have the troubling clouds of anti-Semitism dispelled!

10 hours ago, Old Man said:

Any bets on what the “motive” was?  Workplace shooting? Voices in my head? Proud Boy initiation? Jewish orbital mind control lasers?

The Atlanta thing was easy. The early front runner appears to be "getting rid of temptations".

The guy was a member of the Crabapple (city) First Baptist Church's youth group. And the police are saying that it's related to the guy's sex addiction.

The places were all massage parlors (which are historically often thinly-veiled sex shops) and the majority of the victims were Asian employees. So apparently the 21 year old kid was killing the beautiful Asian women who were "tempting him into sin".

The Boulder grocery store shooting is tougher to analyze. 

According to the editor of the CU-Boulder campus newspaper who was a witness from her apartment across the street, the incident started with multiple shots fired in the store's parking lot. By the time the witness made it to her window, she could see the shooter waving his gun around wildly like he wasn't very familiar with using it or was very panicked. Then the shooter moved into the store and started shooting while shoppers and employees came pouring out the door.

That's weird for a workplace shooting unless the guy just happened to see a hated employee in the parking lot.

I'd chalk it up to voices in his head. 

31 minutes ago, Pariah said:

This just in, the suspect has a very Middle Eastern sounding name: Ahmad Al Aliwi Alissa.

I wonder how big a deal that's going to be in certain quarters in the next few weeks.

Wall to wall coverage on my neighbor's eternally-on Fox News monitor.  And on right wing online sites like Daily Beast.

Everyone now loves to talk about "mental illness" (mostly as a defense mechanism) in the wake of a mass shooting, but virtually no one talks about a specific form of mental illness: the obsession with firearms. Scratch that: the obsession with firearms and this Wild West mentality where every man (or woman) with a piece is a gunslinger/sheriff/marshal.

I’m thinking “It doesn’t end”.

We have had a dozen or more multiple shooting events in 2 weeks. Seven in the week between Atlanta and Colorado. These are just the ones making the news cycle. It happens regularly and has a long time. Current restrictions due to COVID exacerbating the situation, if that’s what is happening, is unsurprising. People all over the nation are very upset, from all walks of life. But who really can say definitively?

I’m glad they’re reducing the media coverage of the shooter themselves. That’s consistent with guidelines.

So “thoughts and prayers”, I guess. Don’t expect to experience meaningful change on this issue personally. Maybe some relatively minor firearms regulation, maybe not. 

It’s very sad we cannot meaningfully address this. We cannot as a nation even meaningfully agree on the problem. Let alone a solution.

33 minutes ago, Iuz the Evil said:

It’s very sad we cannot meaningfully address this. We cannot as a nation even meaningfully agree on the problem. Let alone a solution.

You'd think we could at least end the government ban on even collecting gun violence data.

But the issue is so polarized that it's become dogmatic to many.  In another forum, I mentioned that the grocery store shooter used an AR-pattern firearm that fired assault rifle rounds, and the pro-gunners jumped all over me because there's no such thing as an "assault rifle round".  Because they'd rather words have no meaning than debate the issue at hand.  You can't have a meaningful discussion with people who are going to go full disingenuous right off the bat, and I'm sure that was the entire point.

(They also pointed out that the round is only good for varmint hunting, hours after the shooter killed ten 'varmints' in a grocery store.  I found that to be remarkably insensitive even for a gun regulation discussion.)

2 hours ago, unclevlad said:

The central problem with American society/culture is that it's nearly impossible to have a real dialogue on *any* meaningful subject.  The polarization is almost complete.

I was considering this just this past month. In any reasonable context I find myself easily identifiable as a 100% dyed in the wool liberal. Traditional liberal positions on most all major positions.

But there’s couple I just do not agree with. I find several popular positions of the party poorly supported by logic. Or an appeal to emotion vs logic. Or not the role of government.

But that is intolerable these days. You are all in, across the entire party line, or you are a political enemy to be destroyed.

It’s a bit pathetic really. There’s no room for political nuance in either party...