MLB 2021

unclevlad

Don't even claim you saw THIS coming:

Cardinals president John Mozeliak said he fired manager Mike Shildt earlier today due to a “philosophical difference” in the direction of the team. “We decided internally it would be best to separate now,” he said, even though Shildt had one year left on his contract.

This is even more surprising because it is St. Louis.  Were this Arizona, I wouldn't be even slightly surprised.  Or the Mets, or some of the other franchises where bad leadership is the expectation.

1 hour ago, slikmar said:

I wonder if this means you could see a fire sale in St. Louis and a start of a rebuild.

Or on the flip side, that Schildt maybe wanted to move on from Molina and Wainwright and his bosses didn't.  Especially Wainwright.  I tend to prefer this a bit, but only because most organizations hang on to their vets too long.  Not saying either is done, per se, but I generally prefer a team to let a player go a year too early, rather than a year too late.

For the record: The article notwithstanding, I still hate all four teams remaining.

The Asstros are easy to hate for the cheating and the lying.

The Dodgers are easy to hate because they're basically the Yankees of the National League.

The Red Sox are easy for me personally to hate because I'm still carrying a grudge from the 2007 World Series.

And if you didn't learn to hate the Braves in the 90s and early 2000s, you just weren't paying attention.

So yeah, the article was interesting, but not helpful.

Who says grand slams are rare in the postseason?  Back to back innings for the Sox...then back to back *games*.  Astros' pitcher gets the first out of the inning then walk, double, walk, single, tough hop scored an error, grand slam.  6-0 as the Sox bat around in the 2nd...and it's still going.  2 on with 2 out now, and the starter's getting yanked.  This is a SEVERE!!!!! problem...because in the first 2 games, the starters didn't complete 4 innings, so the bullpen's had to suck up 23.  And they're stuck for over 6 no matter what here.  That's way, way too much work in a very short span.  

EDIT:  Fox just flashed the Astros' starting pitcher stats.  As noted, 5.1 innings total.  ERA:  20.25.  

Ouch.....but hey, even if they can't come back, it's still only 2-1 Sox despite the starters' woes.

EDIT 2:  OK, things are completely falling aport.  3 more in the 3rd.  I'll predict it now...Astros use a position player to pitch at least the 8th, possibly the 7th and 8th.

On 10/23/2021 at 10:23 PM, Pariah said:

On the one hand, the Dodgers are out of it. That's always a good thing.

On the other hand, I'm left in the unfortunate circumstance of having to root for the Braves, because there's no way in any infernal realm that I'm rooting for the Asstros.

All I can say is: it's a good thing it's hockey season. GO BRUINS!!

I dunno, the Braves winning showed that the regular season is a farce, in many ways.  52-55 on August 1st.  Get hot...36-18 from then on.  88 wins wouldn't have been enough in any other division;  it wouldn't have earned a WC in the AL, but it would've been enough in the NL.  Stay hot in the playoffs, and that's not common.

Plus, a big negative for me was that Atlanta scored MOST of their runs off home runs.  Lead off the series.  The back-to-back game reversers in game 4.  The 3 run shot last night early, and arguably Swanson's 2 run shot in the 5th that seemed to kill any hopes Houston might've had.  Heck, even d'Arnaud's 8th inning homer in game 3.  Those were big momentum plays.

We also saw the problems, I think, with starters not going any notable distance, or maybe better to say, the big risk of that.  The Astros' bullpen made more mistakes...because they were over-exposed in an extended series?  Who knows, one can argue either way.  Or the fact that you've got to use so many pitchers...13 for the Astros...just points out the risk that some Won't Have It.  Garcia and Valdez started 4 games for them and gave up 14 runs in 11 innings.  

Ah, well.  It's over now.  Time to see whether there's a lockout, and how they mess around with the rules THIS time around.