MLB 2021

unclevlad

Well, part of it was because the pitcher hit him, which is what put him on base, so kind of rubbing it in the pitchers face. He actually started walking away after saying something to pitcher, but Yadier ran in and jumped in his face which really started the benches clearing.

Some of it, too, is that the pitcher's knees landed on Castellanos' lower back.  Plus, the pitcher had hit him...but he'd also hit a no-doubt home run opening day, and started his circle of the bases with skipping the first few steps...ergo there's the contention that being hit was payback.

CRT has a point here.  Baseball really suffers from hypersensitivity;  ANYTHING that seems like an insult is blown completely out of proportion, it seems...and demands response.

Also, Yahoo writer Jack Baer points out that the escalator here was Yadier Molina.  Molina wasn't tossed, OR suspended, for charging in;  he did get fined, but suspensions are without pay, so Castellanos loses 2 game checks.  His salary's reported at $14M a year, or about $85,000 a game.

Personally, I'd love to see everyone coming into the altercation suspended a game.  Or fined notably.  I suspect the MLBPA would block something like that, tho.

Hockey has rules, both official and unofficial, for handling fights. The biggest one is this: If you're the third player (or later) involved in a fight, you're done. Game over, hit the showers. Everybody knows this is how it works, and so while fights are common-ish, bench-clearing brawls are few and far between.

2 hours ago, Pariah said:

Hockey has rules, both official and unofficial, for handling fights. The biggest one is this: If you're the third player (or later) involved in a fight, you're done. Game over, hit the showers. Everybody knows this is how it works, and so while fights are common-ish, bench-clearing brawls are few and far between.

The NBA also has rules for players leaving the bench area.  MLB somehow thinks it's good theater still.  (Or the MLBPA is obstinate.  That possibility can never be ignored.)

1 hour ago, Pariah said:

Interesting move, if it's true:

Coors Field expected host 2021 MLB All-Star Game, per report

It would represent perhaps the high point of the baseball season in Colorado. That first series against the Dodgers didn't give us Rockies fans much to get excited about for this year.

It'd make the home run derby more interesting.

USA TODAY is reporting the move to Coors Field is official.

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/546601-mlb-all-star-game-moved-to-denver-after-event-pulled-out-of-atlanta

17 hours ago, unclevlad said:

Also, Yahoo writer Jack Baer points out that the escalator here was Yadier Molina.  Molina wasn't tossed, OR suspended, for charging in;  he did get fined, but suspensions are without pay, so Castellanos loses 2 game checks.  His salary's reported at $14M a year, or about $85,000 a game.

MLBNOW did a whole thing on this. The only person "punished" for this was Castellanos, who may have done the least and was the only person who took damage from it, since he was the player hit by the pitch. I think the backlash that has happened amongst fans for their handling of the suspensions will tell, as he is challenging the suspension, I wonder if it will be lifted when they look back.

The other aspect that really rags me...remember the (late) start of last season?  Yeah I know, covid's made us all braindead but still, it was only 9 months ago.  I'm fairly sure that MLB had a very firm policy about coming off the bench, in that the optics were so particularly bad during the pandemic.

That reason has definitely NOT gone.  Ask the Nats or the Canucks...the Canucks may have to try to make up a bunch of games with a seriously depleted roster, as 19 of their 22 players tested positive.  NOT contact tracing, but positive testing.  A bench-clearing brawl isn't necessarily the worst thing...pitcher throws behind the batter, pitcher buzzes the batter, pitcher hits the batter, you're GOING to get a fight...but this was nothing.  Right now, a single case can explode in a BIG hurry, with the more-infectious strains out there.  So <SMACK> those idiots that come off the bench, and the idiots like Molina that escalate.

Sorry.  I'll get off my high horse now...

D'backs gave MadBum a 5 year, $85M contract.  Got bashed around again tonight;  IIRC, they said he has the worst ERA of any pitcher with 100+ innings since the start of the 2020 season.  Money well spent......again...

D'Backs have sent more pretty good players to other teams, and bought the most expensive, least contributory players, of any team I know.  You don't hear as much about their upper management but it's pretty bad.  Multiple GMs, multiple managers, many poor moves.  Paul Goldschmidt was wasted for years.

Nominee for Captain Obvious award.  Joey Votto crushes a pitch and deposits it, on the fly, into the water in McCovey Cove.  So, over the stadium back wall and then some, to clear the walkway outside the stadium.  

Jeff Brantley (I believe, just IDing from the voice) could do no more than say "that was a no-doubter."

I used to be a Montreal Expos fan back in the day (because their AAA farm team was in Denver). They had a lot of great players wind up leaving the team to sign bigger contracts and have greater success elsewhere. They just couldn't hold onto talent.

And now I see the same thing happening in Colorado. Ubaldo Jimenez. Troy Tulowitzki. Nolan Arenado. By all indications, Trevor Story is probably gone before the end of the season. And so on.

I feel your pain, vlad.

One thing I love about MLB Network...

Starting in the 7th, they showed Carlos Rodon...because he had a perfect game going.  

Clean 7th.

Clean 8th.

Pitch count was quite good too.

Came out for the 9th.

Leadoff batter grounded to first, but off the bag.  RACE TO THE BAG...photo finish....OUT!!! BARELY!  VERY tough play by the first baseman.  

Next batter...got to 0-2, tried a slider.  It slid a bit too much...and caught the batter on his front foot.  ARGH!!!  Replay showed the ball change direction...yeah, it got him.

BUT he got the next 2 and got the no-no!  Which is still very, very impressive.

Gotta love look-ins for rare events like this....

13 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

One thing I love about MLB Network...

Starting in the 7th, they showed Carlos Rodon...because he had a perfect game going.  

Clean 7th.

Clean 8th.

Pitch count was quite good too.

Came out for the 9th.

Leadoff batter grounded to first, but off the bag.  RACE TO THE BAG...photo finish....OUT!!! BARELY!  VERY tough play by the first baseman.  

Next batter...got to 0-2, tried a slider.  It slid a bit too much...and caught the batter on his front foot.  ARGH!!!  Replay showed the ball change direction...yeah, it got him.

BUT he got the next 2 and got the no-no!  Which is still very, very impressive.

Gotta love look-ins for rare events like this....

I'm just celebrating that neither the Rangers nor the Rockies have twenty losses yet. :D