MLB 2021

unclevlad

And we have another "it doesn't count" no-hitter.  5 Rays pitchers threw a combined, 7 inning, no-hitter;  the rationale behind saying it isn't is still ridiculous.

But apparently this one probably wasn't one anyway;  infielders collided on a ground ball between third and short, and the official scorer ruled it an error.  HIGHLY debatable;  similar collisions between, say, an infielder going out, and an outfielder coming in, are generally ruled hits if neither fielder touches the ball.

And apparently the All-Star game needs to be discussed in the next contracts. Vlad Jr has decided not to take part in the HR derby, I understand the reasons but he needs to be there. Jacob DeGrom decided not to even go, so now the best pitcher in baseball who might break the all time era record has completely opted out. the MLB all-star game is slowly becoming the nfl one, where none of the actual best players show up.

On the flip side, you have a guy like Ohtani, who loves the game and understands the "hype" and agreed to the derby early and says willing to pitch and hit in game.

Admittedly, i would opt out too.  Especially if a pitcher, would rather rest up and save myself for my team.

As a fan, dont particularly care for the ASG, and havent watched at all since, bud selig decided to make it count.  At this point, they need to be shelved and just give all players 3 days off.

On 7/8/2021 at 10:23 AM, slikmar said:

And apparently the All-Star game needs to be discussed in the next contracts. Vlad Jr has decided not to take part in the HR derby, I understand the reasons but he needs to be there. Jacob DeGrom decided not to even go, so now the best pitcher in baseball who might break the all time era record has completely opted out. the MLB all-star game is slowly becoming the nfl one, where none of the actual best players show up.

On the flip side, you have a guy like Ohtani, who loves the game and understands the "hype" and agreed to the derby early and says willing to pitch and hit in game.

The point's valid generally insofar as the game goes...but, in this era of load management, is it reasonable to require someone to play?  Especially pitch.  Besides, there's always the end-run of pitching on the Sunday before.  

And the Home Run Derby...a very high percent of players in the last several years, don't want to do it twice.  Vlad Jr did it in 2019.  It says quite a bit that only 3 of the top 12 in HRs so far this season, want in.  Salvador Perez is tied for 13-16...but then you fall off the cliff.  Alonzo and Mancini each have 15;  that's not even in the top 40.  (That is somewhat misleading, tho, as there are 17 players with 16 HRs.  That's a serious fluke;  there are 5 with 17 HRs, and 10 with 15.  But very clearly, it really isn't something the players want to participate in.  The All Star Game is mostly a legit game, unlike every other sport where it's grossly distorted.  Home Run Derby is nothing but a distortion and/or glorified batting practice.  

(In case you couldn't tell, yes, my interest in the HRD has rather sharply waned over the last few years...and even in the ASG to a large degree.  Requiring every team to have 1 rep...bleah.  That's been in place forever, tho.  Making sure everyone plays...how many 'nobodies' does that leave for the end of the game, players few have ever heard of?  Too many.  At least they dropped the ridiculous notion that the league that won the game, got home field for the Series.)

I don't think they have every team has to have a player anymore either. I remember when they dropped that because a couple of the MLB analysts made a point of disliking not having one from each team. The reason is, your young kids watching bad teams can no longer watch the game and have their guy to root for. One thing I would do is put a ban on any trades after all-star voting is done up to the game (discuss sure, but no actual trades). I keep thinking, what if Trevor Story, last real home town guy, got traded this weekend. whose uniform does he wear and more to the point, even though everyone knows he probably will be traded, how much more does that suck for Rockies fans. By the way, on a side note, I blame Arenado as much as I blame Rockies management for that trade. He signed that contract knowing good and well what he was in for.

21 hours ago, unclevlad said:

The point's valid generally insofar as the game goes...but, in this era of load management, is it reasonable to require someone to play?  Especially pitch.  Besides, there's always the end-run of pitching on the Sunday before.  

You could require someone to pitch. 

It's much harder to require them to pitch well.

Drop 3-4 mph off of the fastball and accidentally throw in the sweet spot rather than painting the corners.

20 hours ago, slikmar said:

I don't think they have every team has to have a player anymore either. I remember when they dropped that because a couple of the MLB analysts made a point of disliking not having one from each team. The reason is, your young kids watching bad teams can no longer watch the game and have their guy to root for. One thing I would do is put a ban on any trades after all-star voting is done up to the game (discuss sure, but no actual trades). I keep thinking, what if Trevor Story, last real home town guy, got traded this weekend. whose uniform does he wear and more to the point, even though everyone knows he probably will be traded, how much more does that suck for Rockies fans. By the way, on a side note, I blame Arenado as much as I blame Rockies management for that trade. He signed that contract knowing good and well what he was in for.

From mlb.com, this from the 2021 ASG:

Is every team represented?
Yes, and it is the job of the Commissioner's Office to ensure this stipulation is accounted for with its selections. It should be noted, however, that if a player is selected to the roster and can't participate, he does not necessarily have to be replaced by a teammate.

I can't offhand remember any trades.  The starters are picked, what...2 weeks before?  The reserves were picked only a few days ago.  So the window isn't very large.  Under most circumstances, I don't see any problem with a moratorium for that period, but I just don't see a need.  And there could be situations where it made sense.

And too, GMs understand the fan reaction, trading someone right before the ASG, and I really doubt they'd pull the trigger.  

Last, the Story case is principally only meaningful because the game's in Colorado.  If the game was in Chicago, let's say, would it have the same emotional impact?  Rockies fans are gonna be incensed when he gets traded, in any case.  (But ask Pittsburgh, Arizona, Baltimore, KC, Miami, and Texas how HARD it is to get out of that "4A" grade where the team is constantly churning.  MAYBE you have a bit of success, but the valuable pieces don't stay to move into real contender status.)

How to blow up your ERA in a few simple steps...by Caleb Smith of the D'backs.

First inning:  give up a walk and 4 hits...2 of which are homers.  But get out of it "only" giving up 5.

Second inning:  Pitcher leads off and gets a hit.  Walk.  Walk.  Grand slam.

Manager says enough is enough.  1 IP, 9 runs...ERA for the game, just 81.  Good luck getting that down the rest of the year.  His ERA for the year rose by more than 1..

EDIT:  this one blew past laughingstock a LONG time ago.  It's *barely* possible to come back from 9-0, especially after 6 complete...the middle relief for the D'backs was fine for a while, 4 shutout innings.

Then everything imploded.  13 runs in the next 2 innings.

22 runs on 21 hits, with 8 home runs total.

I don't think I'll bother watching the top of the 9th.  Night all.

Just to bring it up, since it's tomorrow night...

Do you plan to watch the Home Run Derby?

Me...ehhh...there's nothing else on.  No NBA Finals, obviously no normal baseball.  I might, just to see if anyone can blast one to the moon.  (Couple MLB Network pundits are guessing the longest balls will be 550+.)

Do you plan to watch the ASG?

Probably not, or at least not once the NBA Finals game starts.  Doesn't help that Fox has the game broadcast.  I'm fine with the game crew, but the studio crew is a disaster.

I will watch just to see if Ohtani can hit a ball out of Colorado. otherwise, don't really care and honestly, wouldnt mind Soto knocking him out in first round. Angels are bad enough, but later this week going into next should get Trout, Upton and Rendon back in lineup, we do not need an exhausted Ohtani too.

On 7/10/2021 at 11:24 PM, unclevlad said:

How to blow up your ERA in a few simple steps...by Caleb Smith of the D'backs.

First inning:  give up a walk and 4 hits...2 of which are homers.  But get out of it "only" giving up 5.

Second inning:  Pitcher leads off and gets a hit.  Walk.  Walk.  Grand slam.

Manager says enough is enough.  1 IP, 9 runs...ERA for the game, just 81.  Good luck getting that down the rest of the year.  His ERA for the year rose by more than 1..

EDIT:  this one blew past laughingstock a LONG time ago.  It's *barely* possible to come back from 9-0, especially after 6 complete...the middle relief for the D'backs was fine for a while, 4 shutout innings.

Then everything imploded.  13 runs in the next 2 innings.

22 runs on 21 hits, with 8 home runs total.

I don't think I'll bother watching the top of the 9th.  Night all.

He is a starting pitcher so he could get it down.

A reliever is screwed.

So as the second half starts, the AL is split into 3 groups:

--White Sox, Red Sox, Astros, TB, and A's are at the top, in that order.  The A's are only 3 1/2 back of the White Sox.

--Seattle, Cleveland, Toronto, Yankees, and Angels are separated by 2 games.  Seattle is 3 1/2 back of the A's.  

--Tigers, Twins, Royals, Rangers, and Orioles are playing out the string, nothing more.  Tigers and Twins are 6 back of the Angels, 11 1/2 behind the wild card.  And they'd have to leapfrog so many teams ahead of them.

In the NL, it's not a  lot better.  The 3 West teams, Brewers, and Mets.  The Reds are 4 back of the Brewers, so...not too bad.  Philly and Atlanta could chase down the Mets, altho the Braves lost Acuna.  That's a big hole to patch over.

Schedule's off to an unfortunate start...last night's game postponed to covid, the game today postponed by rain.  

On 7/12/2021 at 11:56 PM, BNakagawa said:

The Diamondbacks have what is arguably the worst pitching in the bigs. The Orioles have a worse team ERA but they have to face the DH most of the time...

The Yankees this week lost three pitchers to COVID and had several others whose test results hadn't come back yet when the article I was reading was written.

We might have a race to the bottom....

19 hours ago, archer said:

The Yankees this week lost three pitchers to COVID and had several others whose test results hadn't come back yet when the article I was reading was written.

We might have a race to the bottom....

They're getting everyone back fairly soon.  It really hasn't been their problem;  they aren't hitting.  Period.  Their staff ERA is 11th;  particularly at home, they don't hit.  They're 23rd in slugging percentage at home.  And their defense is poor.  And they can't manufacture runs.

Besides, the first serious entrant in the race to the bottom has announced itself...the Cubs.  Sorry Mr. P, the Rockies don't count.  They've been long-term residents.

8 hours ago, Pariah said:

Any discussion of "Worst pitching in the Majors" is incomplete with mentioning the Rockies bullpen.

Rockies bullpen ERA is 28th.  One problem is, they've blown a ton of saves.  They're 16 for 32 in save opportunities, which might be more important.  No one cares if you give up 2, when you have a 4 run lead.  It's the blown saves, and 50% save conversion is terrible.

That said, the D'Backs have 9 saves in 26 chances.  I have no clue how horrible this is historically but it's FAR worse than any other team this year.  Looked like the Marlins have the 2nd worst percentage...and they're 16 for 34, just under 50%...not barely hanging above 1 out of 3.

The Orioles' #1 problem is their starters.  Worst ERA in the majors, and it's by a huge margin.  They're at 6.20;  the 5 worst behind them range from 5.22 to 5.44.  

Big time OOOOPS!!!!

Mets are playing the Pirates.  Pirates have the bases loaded.  Batter hits a little dribbler down the third base line.  Starts foul, but it's rolling...rolling.  Pitcher darts off the mound, sweeps it with his glove to keep it foul.

Only one slight problem.  The ball had skittered back onto the chalk line...which means it was a fair ball.

Mets lose it when the home plate ump, who was looking right down the line, called it fair, and prefer to argue rather than chase the *live* ball.

3 runs score.  Mets manager comes out screaming and gets tossed.  

The ump was right.  There was a replay angle right down the line, and it wasn't close;  the ball was completely on the line.

I do take a perverse delight when teams lose it thinking the call's wrong, and they only focus on the call, or similar brain farts.

The fan who threw a ball, from the stands and hit a visiting team player, has been banned for life from all MLB games.  

There is the obvious question of whether this will be enforceable, and I'd still like to see even misdemeanor charges, but still a necessary move.